***GUIDE*** HID Install 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

nmadole

If your looking at the engine straight on just before the battery to the right there is the negative ground for the starter, that's where I attached too. Ill take a pic when day light comes around, made things much easier.

Pics

That is the point I said to use in the Guide... :)

To anyone who can give a comparison. I am contemplating ordering the HID kit to install once my Fusion arrives (scheduled for beginning of February), but wanted to know the difference in light output between the 35 watt kit and 50/55watt kit @ 5000K. I want to upgrade for the best light output but at the same time don't want to get constantly flashed if too much glare. Appreciate any input and thanks.

From the info I could find, the 50/55 watt ballast will produce a 40% brighter light than the 35 watt ballast and higher lumens. I don't think you will get flashed with the higher watt ballast.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to gather as much info I can before purchasing an HID kit. So I went to The Retrofit Source and emailed them, asking whether or not the 2013 Fusion has a Canbus system.

Here is thier reply:

Thanks for your email and patience waiting on a response here. Your Fusion does have a canbus system, so I would go with that standalone canbus harness option. Just a heads up: some newer Fords have more finicky wiring and may require additional troubleshooting for the HID components to be added to it.

My understanding of the canbus system is that you will get a "Bulb Out Warning" if it senses the lower power draw of an HID system (or and LED). It looks like nmadole and others who have posted in this thread have simply used a regular harness. I would feel better using the power directly from the battery rather than running it through the factory wires. But the folks at the well respected TRS have told me to use the canbus harness which just goes inline between the factory plug and the ballast.

Have you guys had an BOWs?

I was reading on an Explorer Sport forum where several owners have install HID kits since the Sport doesn't come with HID's. One alarming issue that was surfaced was that the HID would not turn on when the Headlamp switch was left on "Auto" mode. The owners had to either turn them to "On" or switch them off and back on. The issue is describe here by another poster

"When its sets to Auto without the delay relay, the vehicle is trying to fire the HID's at the same time the engine is cranking over.....the voltage fluctuation is what causes the misfire and/or flickering. When its sets to Auto without the delay relay, the vehicle is trying to fire the HID's at the same time the engine is cranking over.....the voltage fluctuation is what causes the misfire and/or flickering. Use a harness and make sure it has a timed delay relay......not just a regular relay....must be timed......"

I called DDM and they don't have a timed delay relay. I'm curious if anyone with a 2013 Fusion has run into this same issue? If so I may need to look at another brand HID kit that does have a timed delay relay.

I was reading on an Explorer Sport forum where several owners have install HID kits since the Sport doesn't come with HID's. One alarming issue that was surfaced was that the HID would not turn on when the Headlamp switch was left on "Auto" mode. The owners had to either turn them to "On" or switch them off and back on. The issue is describe here by another poster

"When its sets to Auto without the delay relay, the vehicle is trying to fire the HID's at the same time the engine is cranking over.....the voltage fluctuation is what causes the misfire and/or flickering. When its sets to Auto without the delay relay, the vehicle is trying to fire the HID's at the same time the engine is cranking over.....the voltage fluctuation is what causes the misfire and/or flickering. Use a harness and make sure it has a timed delay relay......not just a regular relay....must be timed......"

I called DDM and they don't have a timed delay relay. I'm curious if anyone with a 2013 Fusion has run into this same issue? If so I may need to look at another brand HID kit that does have a timed delay relay.

Auto on/ off works perfect with the standard relay. No problems at all in the last 1.5 months. There is no voltage drop using the standard relay .... It's either on or off

Im having the same problem. Dan at DAYTIMEBrightLites.com made me a pair of puddle lights with similar bulbs and they flickered. He also made me a pair with resistors installed and the same thing happened. He has ordered another kind of LED, a Can-bus LED, that he's waiting for. Once he installs these bulbs I will be getting them to try. I will post the outcome some time this coming week.

Also purchased some bulbs from this site! Not sure which will look best where so I got two of each of these:

Description Unit price Qty Amount T10 Wedge

Item #: Cree Beam XPE

Color: Super White, Lens: 194 $10.99 USD 2 $21.98 USD T10 Wedge

Item #: Glass Globe LED

Color: Cool White, Lens: 194 $4.99 USD 2 $9.98 USD T10 Wedge

Item #: Supernova-SMT

Color: Super White, Lens: 194 $9.99 USD 2 $19.98 USD

So which bulbs looked best and where did you install them?

Glad you asked... The bulbs for the trunk and license plate dont face outward they face sideways which means most LED's are not well suited. If I want to change them I'll have to either buy more that have light facing sideways or paint the license plate bulb holder silver / chrome / white.

I'll be installing the HID kit and parking lamp bulbs tonight at my friends dealership. The ones best for this will be the Supernova SMT bulbs.

I will try and post a photo of the completed install sometime tonight :)

Edited by expresspotato

Glad you asked... The bulbs for the trunk and license plate dont face outward they face sideways which means most LED's are not well suited. If I want to change them I'll have to either buy more that have light facing sideways or paint the license plate bulb holder silver / chrome / white.

I'll be installing the HID kit and parking lamp bulbs tonight at my friends dealership. The ones best for this will be the Supernova SMT bulbs.

Where do you plan to install the Supernova SMT Bulbs? As the Parking bulb? Just to be clear that is the bulb closest to the grill correct? Is the factory Parking bulb amber or white? Does it flash a different color?

Edited by Jamers

Where do you plan to install the Supernova SMT Bulbs? As the Parking bulb? Just to be clear that is the bulb closest to the grill correct? Is the factory Parking bulb amber or white? Does it flash a different color?

In the parking lamps... They're the bulbs closest to the center of the car. They're currently white in colour but a very warm white, the new bulbs are a very cool white. When it flashes, it flashes white. My friend had to attend to his brother helping him install two 30" monitors to replace his old 23"'s so I'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by expresspotato

I tried installing the LED's for parking lights, either they were not bright enough or were impossible to install. I went with Sylvannia Silverstar 18w (921st) bulbs with the blue coating, much much brighter and completely white. Kinda tricky to get in there but they look great. Even bright enough to be DRL's if the parking lights are turned on.

I tried installing the LED's for parking lights, either they were not bright enough or were impossible to install. I went with Sylvannia Silverstar 18w (921st) bulbs with the blue coating, much much brighter and completely white. Kinda tricky to get in there but they look great. Even bright enough to be DRL's if the parking lights are turned on.

Chris, do you have a direct link to the bulbs you used? Any pics?

I went with these bulbs as a solution to LED's that did not work for me. I wanted the parking lights brighter and whiter to match my HID system. They are not supposed to light up the road. I would rather not have DRL's but was merely a suggestion for others that did not want to pay the $109.00 dealer fee to get the DRL's turned on.

This is the LED I used in my trunk. Plenty of light. Purchased from iJDMTOY.com

6-SMD-T10-LED-Bulbs-01.jpg 8-SMD-LED_22.jpg

Edited by c.blackfoot

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the DDM kit this past weekend using the guide... i got a little confused when it came to connecting the wiring harnesses - as in, what should connect to what, i suppose... But, ended up "figuring it out" and they have worked great...

Until today...

While driving home from work, i noticed that my driver side headlight seemed like it was flickering at times, and then would go out completely. I think the driver side fog light was still on though. So, in an effort to try to fix it, i turned the headlight switch from the auto setting, to "on," then completely off and back on again. Not sure what was going on, but that fixed it temporarily.

A few miles down the road, though, it happened again. I had to keep turning the knob to the off setting, and then back on.... I dont know what the issue could be; there can't be a loose connection since most of the connections snap together (except for the 12-volt and ground, which are loop-type connections).

The way i wired it, the fogs come on whenever the headlights are on. I noticed while parked in my garage that if i pushed the fog light button, it turned off/on the passenger side headlight AND fog light while in the parking light position (no driver side lights).....

If the fogs/headlights are wired together, does anyone know what the car would "want" to do when i press the fog light button? In my mind, pushing it seems to really "confuse" the car, for lack of a better term...

Edited by Remus StCloud

I just installed the DDM kit this past weekend using the guide... i got a little confused when it came to connecting the wiring harnesses - as in, what should connect to what, i suppose... But, ended up "figuring it out" and they have worked great...

Until today...

While driving home from work, i noticed that my driver side headlight seemed like it was flickering at times, and then would go out completely. I think the driver side fog light was still on though. So, in an effort to try to fix it, i turned the headlight switch from the auto setting, to "on," then completely off and back on again. Not sure what was going on, but that fixed it temporarily.

A few miles down the road, though, it happened again. I had to keep turning the knob to the off setting, and then back on.... I dont know what the issue could be; there can't be a loose connection since most of the connections snap together (except for the 12-volt and ground, which are loop-type connections).

The way i wired it, the fogs come on whenever the headlights are on. I noticed while parked in my garage that if i pushed the fog light button, it turned off/on the passenger side headlight AND fog light while in the parking light position (no driver side lights).....

If the fogs/headlights are wired together, does anyone know what the car would "want" to do when i press the fog light button? In my mind, pushing it seems to really "confuse" the car, for lack of a better term...

I am confused as to how you wired the lights....

My lights are wired so that if the headlights are on the fog lights are on.... and vica versa /// Did you use a Wiring Harness for all the lights??

If you are having flickering, check your ground and 12 volt power... If the flickering continues it could be a faulty bulb or ballast