Ford investing $6.2 billion, creating 12,000 new jobs by 2015

Ford investing $6.2 billion, creating 12,000 new jobs by 2015

Ford Motor Co. plans to invest $6.2 billion to expand its U.S. manufacturing base, a move that will help it save 3,240 existing jobs and add another 12,000 positions by 2015.

A large chunk of the investment will go into the maker’s home state of Michigan, which will see the addition of 2,350 new jobs.

“These investments, many of which are already under way, will ensure our southeast Michigan manufacturing facilities can support our aggressive growth plans,” said Jim Tetreault, the Ford vice president in charge of North American manufacturing.

The plan will cover an array of component as well as assembly plants. In the Detroit area, that includes an axle plant, a stamping facility and two assembly lines. The Michigan Assembly Plant has become the home base for an array of high-mileage models including the new Ford Focus Electric battery car.

More at link

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/ford...jobs-1C7659319

post-14695-0-92885700-1356681552_thumb.jpg

I am left wondering if this has something to do with Michigan becoming a "right to work(for less)" state?

No. Certainly Michigan's recent right-to-work legislation is a boon to the state's economic development efforts, and it is a major advance for individual liberty. But Ford's Metro Detroit capital expenditures in 2013 and beyond is something the company committed to during 2011 contract negotiations with UAW. This took place well before the right-to-work legislation was signed by Michigan's governor.

Detroit News article on Ford's SE Michigan capital investments

Edited by aneekr

The 12,000 number is "highly optimistic" especially with Genk closing.

The 2,350 jobs in MI have nothing to do with "right-to-work". These jobs are strictly to increase capacity at existing plants.

I know MAP is running 3 shifts plus OT. The one article sMAP was getting more stamping capacity, perhaps to feed parts to Flat Rock.

• Like 1

Has anyone found a list of the investments and jobs that occur outside of Michigan? The employee count and investment listed for Michigan falls short of the total amounts announced.

U.S. plant investments outside Michigan as specified in Ford's 2011 contract with UAW include:

• Vehicle assembly: Chicago ($117M), Kansas City (>$1B), Kentucky Truck ($621M), Louisville ($639M), Avon Lake ($128M)
  • Powertrain: Cleveland ($278M), Lima ($400M), Sharonville ($220M)
  • Stamping: Buffalo ($136M), Chicago Heights ($86M)

Refer to pp. 2 - 4 of this document for details

Edited by aneekr

THANKS, aneekr! thumb.gif

but this:

"Chicago Stamping - The stampings for the Taurus and Explorer continues. Incremental stampings will also be sourced to the plant. Total Investment of $86M."

brings up a couple questions

first, what are "incremental stampings"?

next, where are Oakville's MKT/Flex stampings made?

I'm trying to put together a new TownCar replacement theory

THANKS, aneekr! thumb.gif

but this:

"Chicago Stamping - The stampings for the Taurus and Explorer continues. Incremental stampings will also be sourced to the plant. Total Investment of $86M."

brings up a couple questions

first, what are "incremental stampings"?

next, where are Oakville's MKT/Flex stampings made?

1. Multi-step stamping process.

2. Buffalo Stamping does around 37 stampings for Flex, I'd assume the same is true for MKT

Incremental stampings just means they will be adding a product that is not currently being produced there.  Not only would that mean the stamping dies themselves, but it could also include the robotic lines that will assemble the completed product.  Could be door, hood, or fender lines.

Could be a completely new product or something being in-sourced from an outside vendor.

Edited by Pioneer

Has anyone connected with the plants heard anything about proposed increases?

I'm thinking that F150 volume would be the priority here but also understanding that building out volume

in other products is equally as important to maintaining pace with the increasing market.

How does Ford find room for 12,000 new employees, will that involve significant expansions at existing plants?

I'm wondering how Ford accomplishes that while continuing production in the meantime..

Edited by jpd80

Please refer to the loaded language in post #3. If you'd used the more commonly-used "right to work," there would've been no door opened for the reply in post #4.

So...he is allowed to toss "loaded language" into the discussion and not likewise get "called on the carpet" for it?? Yes, I did throw the first shot, I make no bones about it that I am pro-union. With that, I will no longer discuss my concerns about "right to work (for less)" vs aneekrs' vague allegations about a "major advance of individual liberty."

I am however, glad that Ford is investing in the American workforce....

Edited by twintornados

Has anyone connected with the plants heard anything about proposed increases?

I'm thinking that F150 volume would be the priority here but also understanding that building out volume

in other products is equally as important to maintaining pace with the increasing market.

How does Ford find room for  12,000 new employees, will that involve significant expansions at existing plants?

I'm wondering how Ford accomplishes that while continuing production in the meantime..

I can't speak for every plant that is getting investment, but Wayne ISA is adding onto it's stamping facility to house the new equipment. Kansas City built a new building for it's press line and sub assembly lines. Dearborn Stamping was practically a ghost town with about half of the plant empty. FRAP is currently only running one shift and is projected to have three in just a few years.Most aren't adding floor space, but are reclaiming vacant areas that were abandoned when Ford slashed models and cut production.

I can't speak for every plant that is getting investment, but Wayne ISA is adding onto it's stamping facility to house the new equipment. Kansas City built a new building for it's press line and sub assembly lines. Dearborn Stamping was practically a ghost town with about half of the plant empty. FRAP is currently only running one shift and is projected to have three in just a few years.Most aren't adding floor space, but are reclaiming vacant areas that were abandoned when Ford slashed models and cut production.

Thanks Pioneer, still good to see Ford adding jobs to US plants,

Can anyone remember the UAW newsletter that was here discussing the last CBA? It mentioned this stuff but now it's official.

Posted by Aneekr on page 1 ---LINK Edited by jpd80

Please refer to the loaded language in post #3. If you'd used the more commonly-used "right to work," there would've been no door opened for the reply in post #4.

It's very difficult to disentangle politics and the actions of businesses large enough to exert an effect on the political process. The one hope is that such discussions can be conducted without rancor.

You do realize that the term "Right to work" was coined purely for political purposes, no? It is no less political than "death tax" or "pro-life". I think "Open-shop" would be a more accurate and less charged term, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

You do realize that the term "Right to work" was coined purely for political purposes, no?

Yes, but it's the one commonly used in neutral reports. The only people I've ever heard refer to it as "right to work (for less)" are partisans in the fight.