#1 OFFLINE   rarjr56

rarjr56

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 04-August 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:04 AM

My Crown Vic broke its leg today, The drivers side lower ball joint pulled out of the control arm.
From what I can tell that is only the begining of my troubles. I use the haynes manuals to find my way around my vehicles. According to my manual the ball joint and control arm on the old girl are one assembly. The control arm must be replaced if the joint needs replacing. I have not removed the control arm however just looking at it on the vehicle it appears as though the book may be correct. Calling various part stores including our local Ford parts department I get a different story they all say they sell a ball joint, just like any other ball joint and have never heard of this control arm assembly situation. While was researching this online I ran into several articles concerning a lower ball joint recall issued in 1999 for the Crown Vics. I will be calling the dealer concerning the recall in the morning. I have owned the vehicle since 1996 and was never notified of this. Anyone else had or heard of this issue on the Crown Vics? Any suggestions more than welcomed!
Thanks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Mulletman

Mulletman

High-Tech Redneck

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 01-August 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

Never heard of a recall on the ball joints, but it is a complete control arm. The part may be listed as a ball joint, but you will get the entire arm.

#3 OFFLINE   taxman100

taxman100

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Joined 04-August 00

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

I had to replace both lower ball joints on my old 94 Grand Marquis - I was not about to do that one on my own - trying to get parts apart that had 11 years to rust together. It is not a tough job, but not one I wanted to swear through several days attempting.

I believe my mechanic just replaced the ball joints, and they were Moog, if I'm not mistaken.

The old ones ride smoother than the newer ones, so it is worth the effort to repair over buying a newer Grand Marquis, in my opinion.
2011 Volkswagen Routan SE with RSE - "They're Giving Them Away"
2002 Grand Marquis LSE - 121k; semi-retired until gas prices drop
2000 Toyota Corolla - 156k miles; old school throttle cable
1967 Galaxie 500XL Convertible - 35k original miles - built when Ford had pride in their cars and their customers

#4 OFFLINE   Mulletman

Mulletman

High-Tech Redneck

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 01-August 06

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

The old ones ride smoother than the newer ones, so it is worth the effort to repair over buying a newer Grand Marquis, in my opinion.

:slap: I am confused.

#5 OFFLINE   taxman100

taxman100

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Joined 04-August 00

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

I was referring to the suspension tuning on a 1994 vs. a 2006 Crown Vic - the older ones were tuned for more road isolation, and they ride more smoothly.

If I had to do it over again, I would have kept my old Grand Marquis and just put the money into it in the future to keep it running over buying a new one. The newer ones ride more firmly than I like.
2011 Volkswagen Routan SE with RSE - "They're Giving Them Away"
2002 Grand Marquis LSE - 121k; semi-retired until gas prices drop
2000 Toyota Corolla - 156k miles; old school throttle cable
1967 Galaxie 500XL Convertible - 35k original miles - built when Ford had pride in their cars and their customers

#6 OFFLINE   matthewq4b

matthewq4b

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • Joined 11-January 04

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

My Crown Vic broke its leg today, The drivers side lower ball joint pulled out of the control arm.
From what I can tell that is only the begining of my troubles. I use the haynes manuals to find my way around my vehicles. According to my manual the ball joint and control arm on the old girl are one assembly. The control arm must be replaced if the joint needs replacing. I have not removed the control arm however just looking at it on the vehicle it appears as though the book may be correct. Calling various part stores including our local Ford parts department I get a different story they all say they sell a ball joint, just like any other ball joint and have never heard of this control arm assembly situation. While was researching this online I ran into several articles concerning a lower ball joint recall issued in 1999 for the Crown Vics. I will be calling the dealer concerning the recall in the morning. I have owned the vehicle since 1996 and was never notified of this. Anyone else had or heard of this issue on the Crown Vics? Any suggestions more than welcomed!
Thanks.

Did the joint pull apart or did the joint it self actually pull outta the arm ?

Ford sells the Joint as a assembly with the arm.

But the joints can be bought after market separate.

You need to take the joint off the spindel and then press the joint outta the arm. and then press the new joint back in to the arm.

You can rent ball joint presses from most places pep boys c tire ect. A skilled person can do it in about an hour. If you have never done it befor count on 3-4 hours.

If the joint pulled outa the arm you will need to replace the arm. And those should be done in pairs.

Matthew
"You Can Never Have Too Much Power, Just Not Enough Control" :D