#1 OFFLINE   JasonM

JasonM

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 11-February 06

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

During the 2013 NAIAS preview, Raj took the opportunity to respond to CR's claims on EPA hybrid mileage, 8:00 minutes in at livestream.com/ford. Meanwhile, CR has backpedaled and suddenly discovered how the C-Max and FFH earned the EPA mileage that they did. CR realized that the CR test isn't the same as the EPA test. Raj has a great powerpoint graphic that shows CR's city testing revealed that the Prius and Prius C diverged from the EPA city rating more than any other hybrid models, a "whopping" 19mpg in the case of the Prius. The Ford hybrids diverged 12 mpg, the Prius divergence was more than 50% worse.

http://livestre.am/4g1wl

Consumer Reports today: "Ford should be congratulated for producing some of the most fuel-efficient vehicles on the market. However, customers who look for 47 mpg may need to readjust their expectations. When the EPA revamped its testing cycles in 2007, it made significant strides in bringing its estimates more in line with what drivers can expect to get themselves. The EPA is looking into this latest discrepancy and may again need to address new challenges in predicting fuel-economy for emerging technologies.

Edited by JasonM, 14 December 2012 - 11:27 AM.

• ZanatWork likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Deanh

Deanh

notorious thread de-railer

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,127 posts
  • Joined 14-November 06

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

BAM...i was on the money...shooting back at CR was an excellent oppurtunity for free PR......AND hopefully people will rightfully start to doubt their "grandstanding" credibility...
" Sizzler "...and 412hp is all you'll ever see from this engine.I'd rather have potential. The 5.0 is the very definition of being at death's door with no place to go. "Mettech"....Privately owned dealerships is so 19th Century.....Richard So, Dean, you gonna pull my words from your sig?. Sully (reg new Escape) Clearly, the Escape/Kuga/Vertrek/Fail will not sell in the same volume as the Escape does currently

#3 OFFLINE   SoonerLS

SoonerLS

trying to plug a hole in the universe

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • Joined 20-June 11
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln LS, '13 F150 STX
  • Interests:?

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Consumer Reports today: "Ford should be congratulated for producing some of the most fuel-efficient vehicles on the market. However, customers who look for 47 mpg may need to readjust their expectations. When the EPA revamped its testing cycles in 2007, it made significant strides in bringing its estimates more in line with what drivers can expect to get themselves. The EPA is looking into this latest discrepancy and may again need to address new challenges in predicting fuel-economy for emerging technologies.

Translation: We weren't necesarily completely correct, BUT THE EPA IS WRONGER!11!11!!

Edited by SoonerLS, 14 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.

• Hydro and Hugh like this

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

So, give it over, take a break
Shut your hole, you're causing my poor heart to ache
To all you saints and sinners, you losers and you winners
Here's to one more day above the roses
-- Gaelic Storm, One More Day Above the Roses

#4 OFFLINE   RichardJensen

RichardJensen

Does whatever a SpiderPig does

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,202 posts
  • Joined 02-September 04
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Mercury Sable

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Most embarrassing for CR:

“These two vehicles have the largest discrepancy between our overall mpg results and the estimates published by the EPA that we've seen among any current models,” the magazine said.

Oh snap, CR. The divergence isn't as great as the one observed in the Toyota Prius.

That info, probably sent over to CR in a strongly worded communique regarding the publication of knowingly false statements, probably led to CR's change of heart.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,043 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Most embarrassing for CR:

Oh snap, CR. The divergence isn't as great as the one observed in the Toyota Prius.

That info, probably sent over to CR in a strongly worded communique regarding the publication of knowingly false statements, probably led to CR's change of heart.

Careful. Ford's chart only addressed the city test, not the overall test. Not sure if that makes a difference but it might.

#6 OFFLINE   RichardJensen

RichardJensen

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,202 posts
  • Joined 02-September 04

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Careful. Ford's chart only addressed the city test, not the overall test. Not sure if that makes a difference but it might.

I would expect that to be the area of greatest variance, as CR's test loop probably exceeds the battery's range by a greater margin than the EPA regime.

And I'm certain that Ford's attorneys were in touch with CR, given CR's backpedaling today. They wouldn't've done that out of the goodness of their hearts.
  • Hydro likes this

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   Deanh

Deanh

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,127 posts
  • Joined 14-November 06

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I would expect that to be the area of greatest variance, as CR's test loop probably exceeds the battery's range by a greater margin than the EPA regime.

And I'm certain that Ford's attorneys were in touch with CR, given CR's backpedaling today. They wouldn't've done that out of the goodness of their hearts.

A nice fat nationally publisized RETRACTION would be nice....
" Sizzler "...and 412hp is all you'll ever see from this engine.I'd rather have potential. The 5.0 is the very definition of being at death's door with no place to go. "Mettech"....Privately owned dealerships is so 19th Century.....Richard So, Dean, you gonna pull my words from your sig?. Sully (reg new Escape) Clearly, the Escape/Kuga/Vertrek/Fail will not sell in the same volume as the Escape does currently

#8 OFFLINE   RichardJensen

RichardJensen

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,202 posts
  • Joined 02-September 04

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

I doubt Ford's attorneys would press their luck on that item.

I would expect that Ford's request was that CR 'cease and desist' making a claim that they knew to be false, or else be subject to action for libel.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   Deanh

Deanh

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,127 posts
  • Joined 14-November 06

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

I doubt Ford's attorneys would press their luck on that item.

I would expect that Ford's request was that CR 'cease and desist' making a claim that they knew to be false, or else be subject to action for libel.

still think theres some irreperable damage been done.....I would have gone for the jugular, then again my dis-dain for CR is the stuff Urban Legends are made of.....nincompoops!

Edited by Deanh, 14 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Focus Hatchback

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

It's enough that CR concedes that the perceived discrepancy in fuel economy is a result of how hybrids work and not any deception on Ford's part.
it's better to take the small victory rather than drawing attention to more details in someone elses' criticism of your product,

Edited by jpd80, 14 December 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Douwe

Douwe

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 29-November 12
  • Current Vehicle:C max energi

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

The only damage is to CR's, already, diminishing reputation. Ford is getting a bunch of free press out of this. Even though alot of the press is negative there has been alot of positive comments on these new hybrids. The bottom line is that negative and positive press both contribute to motivating people to find out more about something they may not have been interested in before reading anything.

#12 OFFLINE   Hugh

Hugh

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • Joined 24-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Escape Titanium AWD
  • Interests:Fords from the 80's onwards, History, Military arms and technologies

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Either way, I don't think it will change the loud extreme fanboys of bothe sides (Ford and CR) who will make up anything to justify their beliefs. The customers who do research will take ratings with a grain of salt. Good on Ford for the push back.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Fair winds and following seas.

READY AYE READY "ONE NAVY"

Former Vehicles:
1993 Mercury Topaz GS Maroon ext. - Grey 'Mouse Fur' int. (Vulcan and 3A) AKA 'Thunder Topaz' 1999-2010
2011 Ford Fiesta SES Monteray Grey ext. - Black Leather w/ Oatmeal stitching int. (HB and 6A) AKA 'Little Car' 2010 - 2012

2002 Ford Taurus SES Sport Black ext. - Medium Stone 'Mouse Fur' int. AKA 'Ferdinand the Bull ' 2012-2014

#13 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Either way, I don't think it will change the loud extreme fanboys of bothe sides (Ford and CR) who will make up anything to justify their beliefs. The customers who do research will take ratings with a grain of salt. Good on Ford for the push back.

And probably why FNA should stick to its kniting and keep pushing C-Max and Fusion hybrid for all their worth,
let buyers decide for themselves, people are adult enough to work out what they need to do to get good fuel economy.
  • Hugh likes this

#14 OFFLINE   4d4evr

4d4evr

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 436 posts
  • Joined 26-February 04
  • Current Vehicle:2005 LS

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I knew my wife was a better driver than the one's @ CR. :dance:
I may not get what I want
I will always get what I need
But I will never get what I deserve

#15 OFFLINE   JasonM

JasonM

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 11-February 06

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Ford needs to respond when false claims are made. Look at this AutoBlog headline: "Consumer Reports calls out Ford for false Fusion, C-Max hybrid fuel economy claims." http://www.autoblog....fusion-c-max-h/ Raj's response was very measured, professional and informative. Much more than I can say for CR's approach.

Edited by JasonM, 14 December 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Ford needs to respond when false claims are made. Look at this AutoBlog headline: "Consumer Reports calls out Ford for false Fusion, C-Max hybrid fuel economy claims." http://www.autoblog....fusion-c-max-h/ Raj's response was very measured, professional and informative. Much more than I can say for CR's approach.

Hmm, it will be interesting to see the next Autoblog follow up headline......not much wiggle room there.

#17 OFFLINE   Deanh

Deanh

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,127 posts
  • Joined 14-November 06

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I knew my wife was a better driver than the one's @ CR. :dance:

well at least when shes in eyesight....lol....

#18 OFFLINE   karlhenk

karlhenk

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 15-July 12
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

How about we all read the entire Consumer Reports post before demanding an apology:

http://news.consumer...?EXTKEY=I72RSC0

Detroit News automotive reporter covering Ford Motor Co. Follow me on Twitter @karlhenk.

#19 OFFLINE   JasonM

JasonM

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 11-February 06

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

How about we all read the entire Consumer Reports post before demanding an apology:

That article is today's backpeddling article.

Today's CR "perspective" is describing how Ford "aced" the EPA tests, and congratulating Ford for building such fuel efficient vehicles.

The "perspective" in CR's first article was how the vehicle's didn't meet what was claimed. What was "claimed" was the EPA test figures.

Today, CR chose to include "How the Consumer Reports and EPA highway tests differ". This should have been done in their first article.

Edited by JasonM, 14 December 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,043 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

How about you read the first 2 articles that started this mess:

Dec. 3 http://news.consumer...mpg-claims.html
Dec. 6 http://news.consumer...mpg-claims.html
  • papilgee4evaeva and SoonerLS like this