WE HAVE OUR FIX

mikeo56

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ford-motor-produces-fix-in-voluntary-safety-recall-of-2013-escapes-2013-fusions-20121210-00786#.UMYp5YYQ4jw

Ford Motor Produces Fix In Voluntary Safety Recall Of 2013 Escapes, 2013 Fusions

(RTTNews.com) - Ford Motor Co. (F) announced a corrective action to address potential engine overheating that could result in engine fires in SE and SEL models of the 2013 Ford Escape and Ford Fusion models equipped with 1.6-liter engines. The vehicles were subjects of a voluntary safety recall announced November 30.

Ford said that to fix the condition, it will make softwareicon1.png updates to the cooling system of the 1.6-liter engine available in the SE and SEL models of the 2013 Ford Escape and 2013 Ford Fusion.

The software updates will better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition that could occur under unique operating conditions. The original cooling system designicon1.png was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions, which could lead to a vehicle fire while the engine was running, the company said.

Ford stated that it is now working to deliver the software and repair procedure to its dealers. The company will begin notifying customers so they can schedule service appointments with dealers.

Beginning early next week, customers will be able to get the software update at their dealer.

Until the cooling software is updated, customers driving 2013 Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Fusion models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine have been advised to contact their dealer to arrange for alternative transportation at no charge, the company said.

The company noted that 2013 Escapes equipped with 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected. 2013 Fusions equipped with the 2.5-liter and hybrid engines are also unaffected - as are all Titanium models.

For comments and feedback: contact editorial@rttnews.com

http://www.rttnews.com

Ford blames coolant system for Escape, Fusion fires

Chris Woodyard, USA TODAYShare

1 Comments

The automaker announces a fix to start next week that should end the problem.

fordfusionhybrid12-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

(Photo: Ford)

Story Highlights

• Cause finally pinpointed, cars recalled a week ago
  • Problem is software, not mechanical parts
  • Repairs of owners vehicles will begin next week

1:10PM EST December 10. 2012 - A week after it announced a big recall, Ford Motor believes a simple software update will quickly fix 2013 Fusion sedans and Escape crossovers with a 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine that is susceptible to catching fire.

Starting next week, owners of the 89,153 vehicles in question will be urged to come to their Ford dealers for the software "flash" aimed at ensuring the cooling system can't dangerously overheat in the turbocharged engine.

Ford hopes it will cap an embarrassing period in which it was forced to order the recall, but could not immediately pinpoint a cause or say how it was going to solve it. Owners have been urged to contact Ford dealers to arrange for rental cars until the problem was solved.

The problem, it turns out, was a combination of two issues, says Raj Nair, Ford's vice president of global product development. "We had a sequence of events that caused the cooling system software to restrict coolant flow," he says. Normally, he says that occurrance wouldn't be that big a deal. But if a car has another coolant issue that could result in low pressure, like a loose filler cap or a pinhole-sized puncture in a hose, the coolant could boil.

If the coolant boils over, it starts streaming into the engine where it can catch on fire if it comes in contact with the hot exhaust system. Engine fires could result, and Ford said it had seen 12 of them in Escape and one in Fusion.

The problem stems from how coolant is needed in different parts of an engine depending on conditions, such as cold weather or during warm up. Ford engineers found that in certain conditions, water was being directed to the radiator, but a closed valve prevented from momentarily returning back into the engine for a short period, like 15 seconds.

Again, normally not a problem because the engine can easily handle the very short term without coolant. But when pressure is also as well, the coolant never makes it back. The software flash will ensure that water is not sent to the radiator unless the electronically controlled return value is ready to take it back.

Nair says the repair will take about a half day. Mechanics will check customers' cooling systems to make sure they have not overheated already. He says he has full faith in the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine. More than 80,000 have been made in Europe, where it uses a different cooling system.

He says the recall won't have any effect on Ford's earnings, with the cost covered by a warranty reserve.

Advertisement

Edited by mikeo56

I called it. Thought it would be software related.

I absolutely give kudos to Escapism, as he did indeed, "call it"! Glad to see they found a fix and it won't be weeks or months to fix it due to having to wait on new parts!

On a side note, as a mechanical engineer, I am also glad to hear that it was a software glitch and not a mechanical problem! We mechanicals get blamed for for too many things as it is! When is the last time you heard that a plane was delayed due to anything but "mechanical problems"?? You mean to tell me that all problems with planes are purely and only mechanical?!? Come on!!

• Like 1

Didn't think of that. Is it an open or closed (pressurized bottle) cooling system? Depending on what type of cooling system it has and where it ejects the coolant if it gets too hot and gets too much pressure - hot coolant could hit a turbo or exhaust manifold.

It's only the 1.6? I would assume that the 2.0 and 1.6 have related cooling systems. The only thing I can think of that might be different is the active shudders. Could the shudders be staying closed too long and heating it up inside?

I know the 2.5 has active shudders but it doesn't have a turbo to make heat underneath.

I am glad they found the issue so fast but I hope they are not rushing the fix out and just theroizing and they actually have lab studies to prove that it is a software issue and a little software programing will fix it.

Edited by Tazzel

I called it. Thought it would be software related.

I certainly would not disagree with Escapism - HOWEVER - I think software is only part of the issue. 80+ thousand vehicles, 12 fires. How many did not turn to flame? And it seems you MUST have a pressure issue "... like a loose filler cap or a pinhole-sized puncture in a hose"

If it weren't for the pressure issue, I'd be in total agreement, but... I think there's more here. This story ain't over... (and "NO" I'm not being pessimistic - something just doesn't ring true....)

I certainly would not disagree with Escapism - HOWEVER - I think software is only part of the issue. 80+ thousand vehicles, 12 fires. How many did not turn to flame? And it seems you MUST have a pressure issue "... like a loose filler cap or a pinhole-sized puncture in a hose"

If it weren't for the pressure issue, I'd be in total agreement, but... I think there's more here. This story ain't over... (and "NO" I'm not being pessimistic - something just doesn't ring true....)

I understand the lose of pressure could be an over heating engine casting warping and leaking at a joint.

Overheating a vehicle will cause the cooling system to build more pressure.

At some point it will reach the limit of the rad cap or expansion bottle cap and it will be released out.

This is the reason Ford gave for the recall>>.

"Ford is trying to find out what causes the overheating problem -- the engines can overheat and leak fluids onto hot parts, causing fires."

I absolutely give kudos to Escapism, as he did indeed, "call it"! Glad to see they found a fix and it won't be weeks or months to fix it due to having to wait on new parts!

On a side note, as a mechanical engineer, I am also glad to hear that it was a software glitch and not a mechanical problem! We mechanicals get blamed for for too many things as it is! When is the last time you heard that a plane was delayed due to anything but "mechanical problems"?? You mean to tell me that all problems with planes are purely and only mechanical?!? Come on!!

Couldn't agree with you more. Remenber the days of having to change your spark plugs every 10,000 miles?? As we all know, software/firmware is becoming more and more embedded in our every day items. My biggest fear is that we haven't seen the last of the software Gremlins. Software is the new enemy, because mechanically we have advanced to a tried and tested point of confidence.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree with you more. Remenber the days of having to change your spark plugs every 10,000 miles?? As we all know, software/firmware is becoming more and more embedded in our every day items. My biggest fear is that we haven't seen the last of the software Gremlins. Software is the new enemy, because mechanically we have advanced to a tried and tested point of confidence.

I hear so much complaining about the 1.6 engine over on a complaint board everybody wants to be compensated a new 2.0 for all the grief. :heartbreaker:

My question is for those that know Ford, Auto's and Engines ?????

Do you feel that the 1.6 is a turd and that we should try to get some type of rebate and or get a new 2.0 put in our Escape? And is the 2.0 so much better? :chairshot:

Will these problems just keep coming or are we close to haveing a car that will run good and not have to worry about the next recall?

I feel it is a new product, stuff like this happens, a Software glitch and fix is not the end of the world is it? :angel:

Everything should be just fine with the fix. Wont it? :woot:

There has really only been one widespread recall. The first only affected a few thousand units, so yeah, while the number of recalls is there, the number of units affected by all of them is pretty small. Ford may send out something like gift cards for the trouble, but they certainly aren't going to give anybody a refund or a free upgrade.

There has really only been one widespread recall. The first only affected a few thousand units, so yeah, while the number of recalls is there, the number of units affected by all of them is pretty small. Ford may send out something like gift cards for the trouble, but they certainly aren't going to give anybody a refund or a free upgrade.

Ford Escape wins inaugural Car of the Year from Popular Mechanics

Popular Mechanics has unveiled its 2013 Automotive Excellence Awards, and not only is the Ford Escape among its 10 best vehicles, for the first time ever the magazine names a Car of the Year and Escape is editors’ choice for the award. Escape earned the honor for being “an affordable vehicle that excels in multiple auto excellence categories,” for its “excellent engine options, abundance of technology and great price.” Reviewers pointed out that “Escape is freshly minted, with a solid new chassis shared with the European Ford Kuga. The driving experience feels like it’s two full generational leaps ahead of the old Escape.” Read the full report here.

13Escape_570.jpg

• Like 1

Excuse me for jumping in, but the 1.6 vs. 2.0 decision really depends on YOUR driving style, and what YOU want. (IMHO).

I have a 2.0 and have had zero problems. I like to have a snappy response when I use the gas pedal. When I challenge (or get challenged) at a traffic light, I like to win, and I usually do. But, around town I get 15-16 mpg. Mixed driving is 18-19, and highways in New England gets me around 24 mpg.

If you can afford the mpg., go for the 2.0. If you drive like there's an egg under your foot, and don't care about the power, keep what you have.

Excuse me for jumping in, but the 1.6 vs. 2.0 decision really depends on YOUR driving style, and what YOU want. (IMHO).

I have a 2.0 and have had zero problems. I like to have a snappy response when I use the gas pedal. When I challenge (or get challenged) at a traffic light, I like to win, and I usually do. But, around town I get 15-16 mpg. Mixed driving is 18-19, and highways in New England gets me around 24 mpg.

If you can afford the mpg., go for the 2.0. If you drive like there's an egg under your foot, and don't care about the power, keep what you have.

Gas mileage on our 1.6 isn't much better

I have a 2.0 and have had zero problems. I like to have a snappy response when I use the gas pedal. When I challenge (or get challenged) at a traffic light, I like to win, and I usually do.

Yep, me to. Driving to work yesterday, downtown DC on Constitution Ave. I pulled up to a light. I was first in line and next to me was a VW Golf. Dude looked over at me, with his hoody on ghetto style like, and gave me the "look". So it was close, but I pulled away after about 1/8 mile. At the next light, when he finally pulls up, he looks over at me and gives me the thumbs up. Yeah, I like my 2.0. :peelout:

• Like 1