Fusion funky fuel tank....anyone attempted a full fuel?

Bailey151

Today was my first fill up......topped it until it shut off on slow. Fuel gauge was reading just under 1/4 and it only took 10 gallons (should have been more like 12).

Drove bout 19 miles & the fuel gauge is already off full.

So it would seem we have a bit of "head space" in the tank..............or........it's reading a bit low on the bottom end. Anyone tried filling it all the way to the top? See how much one can squeeze into the tank?

FWIW - previous vehicle was known to have as much as 2 gallons left after shutoff. You could squeeze it in easily until you saw it in the neck (diesel doesn't expand like gas so no worries in the summer time) = more range.

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this funky tank/gauge thing?

(I did like the no cap deal, that was easy :lol: )

Edited by Bailey151

Last time I filled mine, I just went from quarter tank to a few cents after it clicked off just to round off the number. I don't really want to risk sucking gas into the emissions system. Which was around 10 gallons +/-

:lol: Same here. Doesn't really matter - just a quirk it would seem.

• Like 1

I get gas in Jersey where the state feels I am not adept enough to pump my own gas. For my 2nd fill up I ran my ffh to about 30 miles past 0 miles left. The guage showed a red line below E. I got 12.9 gallons in. I wanted to see how far I could push it before running out of gas.

And don't even try bucking the gas station lobbyist in New Jersey.

I get gas in Jersey where the state feels I am not adept enough to pump my own gas.  For my 2nd fill up I ran my ffh to about 30 miles past 0 miles left.  The guage showed a red line below E.  I got 12.9 gallons in.  I wanted to see how far I could push it before running out of gas.

I've done the same and got as much as 13.5/13.8 I believe. The tank is technically a 16.0 Gallon tank, but Ford programmed it to say zero miles around 12.5 Gallons it seems to leave room. The red does make me nervous, I definitely don't want to run out of gas so I usually fill up around the 13.0 gallon mark and make sure to top off once (the manual says "Allow no more than two automatic click-offs when filling.")

Edited by cppawlow

Funny, I just filled up and had similar comments/questions!

The FWD Fusions are supposed to have a 16.5 gallon tank. I am displeased that the car shows E after using 12.5 gallons. It's quite common for there to be a 2 gallon 'reserve' but 4 gallons is ridiculous.

Also, the trip computer showed I had used 12.59 gallons when I filled up. To the first click, it only took 10.4 gallons! I waited 15 seconds and did it again and got 2 more gallons in there before the second click.

I guess I'll just have to learn that I still have 4 gallons/~80 miles to go when my car says E.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about the capacity...I remember seeing somewhere that the Fusion had a 13.5 gallon tank...don't remember where, but it is more consistent with the 11-12 gallon fill-ups when down to less than 50 miles (16 on mine this morning when I filled up) left on the range indication and under 1/8 of a tank showing.

Also, I do not like the fact that the gauge drops so quickly from full to 3/4...normally less than 30 miles...I know that fuel gauges are notorious for having irregular movement over the range of the scale, but this is very disconcerting...

• Like 1

Last fillup with the Arco pre-paid card was 14.5 gallons, I recall. I will be doing maximum range fillups, I have better things to do then stop in at a gas station more often than is necessary. I will be looking at my gas tank capacity in the owners manual, and the amount I put in on refills, and will get the two numbers within a gallon or so.

I was thinking of this as I filled up for the first time this morning, expecting it to shut off around 10 gal (I had about 1/8th tank left, or 30 miles on the "until empty"). It kept going and I ended up with 12.5 gal on the first click off. I didn't bother trying to put more in as I figure there is 13.5-14 gal in there now. Maybe it's something with the gas stations and when the pump auto shuts off?

Edited by Camride

I was thinking of this as I filled up for the first time this morning, expecting it to shut off around 10 gal (I had about 1/8th tank left, or 30 miles on the "until empty"). It kept going and I ended up with 12.5 gal on the first click off. I didn't bother trying to put more in as I figure there is 13.5-14 gal in there now. Maybe it's something with the gas stations and when the pump auto shuts off?

:lol: See above - it's the curve of the fill tube & the pumps. Sometimes they shut off late = spill, sometimes early = less than a full fill.

I do agree, all fuel gauges have variances - we'll just have to adapt. My old car (when topped to the neck) would stay above F for close to 100mi (2.5 gallons) - 1/2 would show 300+ traveled with 300+ to go............never made more than a 150 or so on the last half.

Edited by Bailey151

• 3 weeks later...

I have let my 2013 FWD 2.0L get to 5 miles from empty, and it only takes around 12 gallons before the pump clicks off. And after filling, the tank gauge inside does not show full. After a dozen or so fill-ups so far, this happens every time. This is a real aggravating problem, causing more frequent fill-ups tan should be necessary.

Talk to your dealer. Apparently, someone had their tank replaced because it was not put together properly by the supplier and it fixed the issue. Of course, this is the internet so it may not be completely accurate.

What?????? I didn't think you could put it on the internet if it wasn't true :D

Last fillup on a holiday trip I had an indicated 35mi to empty.....so under 2gal remaining? Fill it up and then added over 1.5gallons with a slow fill = total was 12 gallons. That ain't right, sould have been more in the area of 14-15 gallons.

And it was a PITA to get the 12 into it, something is amiss here...................

Link to the other forums thread (has the tank replaced) -

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/8957-2013-fusion-fuel-tank-filling-issues/

We need to figure out what the deal is with this fuel tank stuff. If we paid for a 16.5 gallon tank we should have a 16.5 gallon tank. If the gauge says E and 5 miles to empty we should be putting around 15 gallons (or a bit more) to fill it up.

If enough folks notice this then there is a problem.