1.6L EB recall

The lack of discipline is stunning. first the Focus launched with horrible fit and finish, due to a product ramp that was too fast, and led to the turning off of key quality control equipment to meet Quota. Now adding Production to a plant that may not be able to meet the demand. this is a pattern none of us hoped would return, that pattern of volume over quality.

The ramp down of the 1.6 and the ramp up of the replacement EB1.0 for the fiesta and focus is still in process right now. and It still the sole global source for all ecoboost 1.6, and Duratec, 1.25 1.4 and 1.6 engines for europe and Asia. what is going on in that plant?

This is what happens when good engineering oversight is replaced by economic scales of economy,

relying on other divisions in another country to man up and give the quality levels expected.

Ford says it's now one company but clearly the quality of parts supplies varies between

what FoE supplies itself and Ford NA, sometimes you have to really wonder.....

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting....

Edited by jpd80

Forgive the layman question, but I'm assuming the coolant plug installation would still stem from QC problems in the UK, correct? This would not be a Hermosillo issue?

That's right, the 1.6 EB is made in Bridgend (Wales), the 2.0 EB comes from Valencia (Spain) and the 2.5 is from USA.

Hermosillo installs the engines but the defective plug installation only shows up after the engine has done presumably several heat cycles.

This is what happens when good engineering oversight is replaced by economic scales of economy,

relying on other divisions in another country to man up and give the quality levels expected.

This is what it boils down to:

If Bridgend can't deliver on a production schedule comparable to ones extant elsewhere, then close it.

This is a globally competitive marketplace, and nobody, NOBODY, gets a free pass. If you can't do a job as well as someone else, somewhere else, you're going to lose that job.

Blaming Ford for ramping up production at Bridgend is stupid. It's not like Ford is forcing Bridgenders to work 20 hour shifts. They're working under union rules in a first world country. They aren't being whipped or chained, or having their blood mixed in with the oil installed in these engines.

First out the door, though, should be the people in charge of QC at Bridgend. They were shipping garbage without the slightest awareness of it.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

That's right, the 1.6 EB is made in Bridgend (Wales), the 2.0 EB comes from Valencia (Spain) and the 2.5 is from USA.

Hermosillo installs the engines but the defective plug installation only shows up after the engine has done presumably several heat cycles.

Thanks for that confirmation. So, then assuming this really is the issue and they formed the task for Nov. 12, issued the recall is it likely something Hermosillo would be correcting on engines within the last week or so before they were installed and can we be confident in the fix if so?

I'm not blaiming Ford for the ramp up of Bridgend, I'm blaiming the lack of oversight on quality

First out the door, though, should be the people in charge of QC at Bridgend. They were shipping garbage without the slightest awareness of it.

At an absolute minimum.

The next question being asked, what have you done to correct th problem?

And how do you intend compensating Ford North America for all the rework?

Wouldn't this be the 2nd recall on the same issue?

This is what it boils down to:

If Bridgend can't deliver on a production schedule comparable to ones extant elsewhere, then close it.

This is a globally competitive marketplace, and nobody, NOBODY, gets a free pass. If you can't do a job as well as someone else, somewhere else, you're going to lose that job.

Blaming Ford for ramping up production at Bridgend is stupid. It's not like Ford is forcing Bridgenders to work 20 hour shifts. They're working under union rules in a first world country. They aren't being whipped or chained, or having their blood mixed in with the oil installed in these engines.

It may not be as simple as you make it out to be.

they make alot of enigines there.

1.25, 1.4 and 1.6-liter Zetec-SE petrol engines, 3.0-liter Turbo I-6, 3.2-liter I-6, 3.5, 4.2 and 4.4-liter V8 Jaguar XK engines

all with 961 workers

Wouldn't this be the 2nd recall on the same issue?

It may not be as simple as you make it out to be.

they make alot of enigines there.

1.25, 1.4 and 1.6-liter Zetec-SE petrol engines, 3.0-liter Turbo I-6, 3.2-liter I-6, 3.5, 4.2 and 4.4-liter V8 Jaguar XK engines

all with 961 workers

The J /LR part of the plant have their own dedicated workers.

1.25, 1.4 and 1.6 TiVCT engines are ending.

• Ford Motor Company is acting on behalf of its customers by conducting a voluntary safety recall of 2013 SE and SEL model Ford Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 SE and SEL model Fusions equipped with the 1.6-liter engine
  • The recall comes after reports of engines overheating, followed by vehicle fires starting in the engine compartment when the engine is running; no injuries have been reported
  • Ford is advising owners of these vehicles to contact their dealer immediately for alternative transportation at no cost to the customer; U.S. owners also may call 866-436-7332 and Canadian customers also may call 888-222-7814 for details on securing alternative transportation
  • Repair procedures are not currently available
  • Customers can determine whether their vehicle is part of the recall by:
    • Checking their 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN); the eighth character will be an “X” on Escapes or an “R” on Fusions,
    • Logging onto Ford.com, select the “Support” tab, click “View Notices and Recalls” and input their VIN, or
    • Calling the numbers listed above or contact their dealer

[*]Escapes equipped with the 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected as are Fusions equipped with the 2.5-liter and hybrid engines

DEARBORN, Mich., November 30, 2012 – Ford Motor Company today announced a voluntary safety recall of 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine.

Ford estimates that there are approximately 73,320 Escapes and 15,833 Fusions produced and distributed for sale in the U.S. and Canada with 1.6-liter engines, with most in the U.S. market. The issue does not affect 2013 Escape or 2013 Fusion models with other engines.

Customers driving 2013 Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Fusion models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine are advised to contact their dealer as soon as possible to arrange for alternative transportation at no charge. Repair procedures are not currently available.

Ford is voluntarily recalling these vehicles because of reports of engine overheating, resulting in engine fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported.

Some drivers who have experienced high engine temperatures followed by engine fires say that their clusters have shown the message “Engine Power Reduced to Lower Temps” or “Engine over temp, stop safely.” Some also indicated that their instrument clusters sounded a chime and illuminated a red light.

Drivers who see any of these indications should safely pull off the road as soon as possible, turn off the engine and exit the vehicle. Ford will compensate owners for costs tied to overheating as well.

“We have identified an issue and are taking actions in the best interest of our customers,” said Steve Kenner, director of Ford’s Automotive Safety Office. “It is important that affected customers not ignore this recall and contact their dealer as soon as possible. While we recognize the inconvenience recalls cause our customers, we are taking these actions on their behalf to help ensure their safety.”

Ford is working on a repair procedure. When parts are available, the company will notify customers so they can schedule a service appointment with dealers.

Meanwhile, Ford is advising affected owners to contact a Ford dealer as soon as possible for alternative transportation at no cost to the customer; U.S. owners also may call 866-436-7332 and Canadian customers also may call 888-222-7814 for details on securing alternative transportation.

Customers can see if they are affected by the recall by:

• Checking their 17-digit VIN, located on a label on the driver door opening, at the base of the windshield on the driver’s side of their vehicle, or on their vehicle registration. In vehicles with 1.6-liter engines, the eighth character will be “X” on Escapes or “R” on Fusions;
  • Logging onto Ford.com, click “View Notices and Recalls” in the “Support” tab and input their VIN to determine if their vehicle is part of the recall;
  • Calling 866-436-7332 in the U.S. or 888-222-7814 in Canada; or
  • Contacting a Ford dealer

Escapes equipped with 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected. Fusions equipped with the 2.5-liter and hybrid engines are also unaffected – as are all Titanium models.

# # #

I know They will be gone soon but it the overlap that concerns me, sometime people say yes when they should say no.

I think you'll find that engine orders are forward build so more than likely some or all of those redundant engines could be gone,

Foe announced significant plans to increase investment in Bridgend and secure the plan's future....

Ford commits to keeping 2,000 jobs in Bridgend despite Southampton closure

A spokesman for Ford told WalesOnline the company will maintain the current three shift pattern and support 2,000 high-value jobs at the plant.

“Ongoing investment also is expected at Ford’s Bridgend Engine Plant in South Wales to support high volumes of petrol engine manufacture,” the spokesman said.

Ford has been under pressure in Europe due to dwindling demand for its models and the overall slide of car sales on the continent due to the debt crisis.

Stephen Odell – chairman and chief executive, Ford of Europe – said: “We have to act quickly and decisively to address the collapse in consumer demand in Europe today and position Ford for profitable growth tomorrow.

“We are reaffirming our commitment to the UK with a major investment in powertrain and engineering and one which will reinforce the UK’s central role in Ford’s global powertrain strategy.”

Edited by jpd80

We aren't 100 percent sure it's the same head plug causing this problem. Let's see what the repair will be then pass judgement.

The only reason I'm not so sure it's that plug, is because if that much coolant is expelled at once I would suspect the ethelenglycol to combust before the engine has time to over heat. According to what I read, the engines overheating with warning messages then the fire started. That makes me think something is overheating these engines and the result is puking coolant or fluid on to hot engine parts.

However, it is a total screw up and an embarrassment. I hope this is dealt with quickly and smoothly.

Edited by fordtech1

I'm serious. I'm on a zero-tolerance "Europe does cars better" kick right now. I don't want to hear anyone come around here talking about "US suppliers...." "NA manufacturing base..." I don't have time for any of that crap. I don't care to hear anyone blame Ford's NA manufacturing ops for bungling this launch. Or, in retrospect, the Focus launch or the Escape launch.

But you forgot the real reason (IMHO) for the shift to EU platform engineering.

Its cheaper !

The funny thing is, engine calibration and emission certification has shift to the US because, get this, it is CHEAPER. EU and the rest of world used to outsourced that task to 3rd parties.

To me, this is the most discouraging and alarming issue with the 1.6l EB problem. From Ford's announcement:

"Repair procedures are not currently available"

That means they haven't fullly sorted out root cause even after a crash team has been put together to look at those vehicles that have experienced fires. So it appears that Ford engineers are now looking at customer cars to see if they can discern any issues that are "pre-failure." Of course the team would have a few key suspects, but right now they it looks like they are playing Clue ("Miss Scarlet in the drawing room with the knife?").

Then after cause is determined, they will have to develop a repair procedure and bring back owners. But what Ford does in the meantime is really questionable. Of course, this is a serious and potentially life-threatening problem so can customers keep driving their vehicles after inspection when the cause isn't finally determined?

Even after 40 years, the public hasn't forgotten the Pinto, so this is an even bigger problem for Ford's image.

Edited by Austin

The first incident was due to a vehicle with a missing dip stick, which expelled oil. That will be hard to determine why that occurred, factory, dealer, owner? Who knows.

At a minimum the fix will likely include routing overflow coolant further from the engine.

Edited by JasonM

We aren't 100 percent sure it's the same head plug causing this problem. Let's see what the repair will be then pass judgement.

The only reason I'm not so sure it's that plug, is because if that much coolant is expelled at once I would suspect the ethelenglycol to combust before the engine has time to over heat. According to what I read, the engines overheating with warning messages then the fire started. That makes me think something is overheating these engines and the result is puking coolant or fluid on to hot engine parts.

it doesn't make sense that the pug issue would reappear after the first recall, and include the vehicles that should have been repaired under the first recall. unless there is a second plug.

there is no reason this engine should be allowed to over heat.

This sort of crap pisses me off. I have friends who are car guys and gals who love to trash Ford based on the 80's and 90's. I've been loyal throughout, (although I admit I strayed to Buick a couple of times, but I digress). I've already received e-mails from friends regarding this recall; does this affect your Escape, what are you going to do, can you get your money back and I told you so. I know it's just one element in a line-up of vehicles with styles, purposes and different drive trains, but when there's a problem, the focus for everyone, especially the media, is on that one issue. The worst of it is it affects two major redesign launches. The critics and skeptics are going to say and think, if they can't get this right, what the hell is going on with everything else. Whether this is a European problem or a plant specific problem, to most everyone out there it's a Ford problem. It doesn't affect me, but I feel for those Escape owners who have endured 4 recalls, the threat of fire, twice, and in some cases less than perfect fit and finish. When does image, reliability and rebuilding a customer base trump, in the whole scheme of things, the small amount of cost savings. I say to Hell with the global approach, bring it back to America where you know there's a sense of pride and ownership among the workforce and it will be built right.

To me, this is the most discouraging and alarming issue with the 1.6l EB problem. From Ford's announcement:

"Repair procedures are not currently available"

I would completely disagree.

It means they chose to recall first before finalizing testing, writing procedures, ordering parts, etc.

This is much preferred to waiting for the fix before recalling.

This sort of crap pisses me off. I have friends who are car guys and gals who love to trash Ford based on the 80's and 90's. I've been loyal throughout, (although I admit I strayed to Buick a couple of times, but I digress). I've already received e-mails from friends regarding this recall; does this affect your Escape, what are you going to do, can you get your money back and I told you so. I know it's just one element in a line-up of vehicles with styles, purposes and different drive trains, but when there's a problem, the focus for everyone, especially the media, is on that one issue. The worst of it is it affects two major redesign launches. The critics and skeptics are going to say and think, if they can't get this right, what the hell is going on with everything else. Whether this is a European problem or a plant specific problem, to most everyone out there it's a Ford problem. It doesn't affect me, but I feel for those Escape owners who have endured 4 recalls, the threat of fire, twice, and in some cases less than perfect fit and finish. When does image, reliability and rebuilding a customer base trump, in the whole scheme of things, the small amount of cost savings. I say to Hell with the global approach, bring it back to America where you know there's a sense of pride and ownership among the workforce and it will be built right.

:headspin: :bag:

Whatever the reason, I would like to see Ford taking proactive approaches (they are AFAIC) and not going to Damage Control mode. The aggressive response they are doing is very good regardless of cynical statements of "Of course they should." I agree Ford has a problem and they have to fix it. Folks there should be held accountable and although Managers might get their walking papers, it goes all the way down to the front-line assemblers for making a unsafe product. I don't have the facts but the investigative process is important I sincerly hope it's not a Low-GAFF factor that's causing this.