Field Service Action 12C27 Headlamp Assembly Replacement

dbmaven

I feel the Japanese car manufacturers should have earned my business... Engine fires? Isn't that the worst thing that could ever happen to your car?

Unintended acceleration due to a floor mat is one thing, but my car bursting into flames and the only indication for me to jump out is the radiator cap exploding off is another.

TBD is also another real fumble here... Jesus Christ its coming up on 4 months (1/4 year) and my car hasn't even left Mexico... I dunno what a product launch...

How about Toyota not telling its customers for years about recalls? I would never spend one penny on any Toyota.

Toyota are know for their resale value, fuel efficiency and reliability. Ford's are known for lack of all three... as in not reliable, not really efficient and they don't hold their resale value.

I bought mine because of the innovative hybrid features, good styling and an assumption that Ford as a company started producing better quality cars.

Toyota are know for their resale value, fuel efficiency and reliability. Ford's are known for lack of all three... as in not reliable, not really efficient and they don't hold their resale value.

I bought mine because of the innovative hybrid features, good styling and an assumption that Ford as a company started producing better quality cars.

The previous Fusion was more fuel efficient, more reliable and had the same resale value as Camry and Accord.

The previous Fusion was more fuel efficient, more reliable and had the same resale value as Camry and Accord.

That's not a true statement. According to the Kelly Blue Book website the list of top 10 best resale value vehicles are:

2x Toyota

1x Honda

1x Nissan

1x Hyundai

1x Jeep

1x Audi

1x Lexus

1x Chevrolet

1x Infinity

Didn't surprise me: 0x Ford.

Funny part of this fix is that the dealer has to take off the bumper. When I pointed out that my hood was misaligned in respect to the bumper they were trying to talk their way out of it because it involves clips and blah blah. Looks like the damn thing is coming off anyways so they should be able to make it "fit" nicely this time around.

• Like 1

All I know is that my Toyota's resale value is declining with each day I have to wait for my new car. I know, I know-- at least I knew I'd have to wait several months for the car I ordered. It gives me time to save more, but it's eating away at the resale, so I hope it all evens out.

That's not a true statement. According to the Kelly Blue Book website the list of top 10 best resale value vehicles are:

2x Toyota

1x Honda

1x Nissan

1x Hyundai

1x Jeep

1x Audi

1x Lexus

1x Chevrolet

1x Infinity

Didn't surprise me: 0x Ford.

Show me where the Fusion ranks compared to the Accord and Camry. I was specifically talking about the Fusion, not Ford in general.

I wonder why this is showing up in the news today (just search "fusion faulty headlights"). Was there an official announcement or something? Didn't see one on media.ford.com.

Lazy reporting. Probably came out on a newswire and they either didn't remember or didn't bother to check to see if it had already been reported.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

All my fusion news comes from this forum. I'm finding the best knowledge and inside rumors come from these pages.

You should also sign up for the MyFord owner site and MySync. I got wind of the headlight recall the day it was issued from Ford (11/27, I think) on my iPhone when I logged into the MyFord webApp.

As far as the headlamp recall, I am one of those impacted. Called the dealer today and asked how long it would take to get the parts. They will have the parts tomorrow and could have installed them on Monday. I am waiting until Wed for personal reasons, but I am also going to have them look at a host of other minor issues and questions I have...like the Auto Climate control not recognizing that it is cold outside...a skip/pause that occurs semi regularly in the stereo and some other items that seem not quite right.

They did confirm that the bumper has to come off for the headlamp replacement...along with the front tires and inner fender wells...oh joy.

I will let you know how everything goes once I get the work done.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now with the announcement of the 1.6 recall for the overheating thing, I went back and checked a few VINs again... looked at this one in Etis and it now has all 3 recent actions needed...  3FA6P0HR5DR110983 -- built almost 2 months ago and I don't think it's at the dealer yet either.

Wow I posted the above 4 weeks ago, and as of that time we had just seen a bunch of Fusions headed to Flat Rock and the letter about "additional quality assurances" or whatever the term... then the 12C27 headlight recall, then the 12A04 sync update, and then later the 12S41 overheating thing with the 1.6L engines.  But that letter had come out and said that the plan was to have all of the backlog fixed and shipped to dealers by the end of December.

So I went back to the list of VINs from my area dealers, put the VINs into Etis again and here's the current status, of course this is just a small sample and may not be representative of all that are awaiting repairs, but I found it interesting nonetheless, and thought others might as well.

12C27 Headlamp Replacement - Of original list of 9, the notice has disappeared in Etis for 4 of these.

12A04 Sync Update - Of original list of 11, the notice has disappeared in Etis for 1 of these (maybe it's intended that dealers will do these as the cars arrive?).

12C27 & 12A04 Combo - Of original list of 5, the notice has disappeared in Etis for 1 of these.12S41 Overheating - Of original list of 2, the notice has disappeared in Etis for 0 of these.

And for the "hangar queen" from the original post that had all 3 actions needed... still needs all 3 actions.

So maybe Etis does not get updated promptly when these actions are completed and still needs to be updated (who knows?)... but it seems like there are quite a lot of the list remaining to be fixed with one week left in December.  And how many are working on them this week?

• 4 weeks later...

Update 4 weeks after the above post, using my small sample from local dealers, was just curious as to progress -- I have no idea if these VINs are sitting at the dealer, sitting in Hermosillo, or sitting in Flat Rock... but anyway here is the update.

12C27 Headlamp Replacement -

12/26/12: Of original list of 9, 5 of 9 pending.

1/24/13: Only 1 more fixed, still 4 of the 9 pending.

12A04 Sync Update -

12/26/12: Of original list of 11, 10 of 11 pending

1/24/13: 3 more fixed, 7 of the 11 still pending.

12C27 & 12A04 Combo -

12/26/12: Of original list of 5, 4 of 5 pending.

1/24/13: 1 more fixed, 3 of the 5 still pending.

12S41 Overheating -

12/26/12: Of original list of 2, 2 of 2 pending.
1/24/13: Both fixed

And for the "hangar queen" from the original post that had all 3 actions needed...

12/26/12: Still needs all 3 actions.

1/24/13: All 3 actions fixed.