Field Service Action 12C27 Headlamp Assembly Replacement

dbmaven

When I search ETIS for my car it comes up as a Transit Connect Van? Any ideas?

Sounds like your dealer ordered the wrong vehicle, sorry about that. Maybe it will still have a spoiler on it!

Just kidding, actually this is normal behavior on that site, search through a few threads here and you are definitely not the first to encounter it.. why it displays as it does I don't know.

Edited by jeff_h
  • Like 1

I stopped at my dealer (for a different reason) this afternoon since I was 'in the neighborhood'.

12C27 is definitely a safety recall as well as a delivery hold.

The notice was posted on Tuesday, 27-November.

The recall notice will be mailed to customers on 10-December.

As stated in the other thread, part of the explanation is

"may exhibit some level of dimming after exposure of heat from operating headlamps".

If I recall, part of the context was also related to humidity/moisture.

The 'service time' is 1.1 hours.

For anyone thinking about dealing with this - absolutely call ahead to your dealer - first because they may not even know about it yet, and second, even if they do, to make sure they have the parts to perform the service. If not, you're wasting a trip.

My dealer had 2 sets in stock, and one was set aside with my name for an appointment next Tuesday.

Cheers.

• Like 1

12C27 is definitely a safety recall as well as a delivery hold.

Man, that's not a good sign. I've always heard Ford had quality control issues and never even considered Ford until I saw the Fusion. I was hoping they got their sh*t together and are able to deliver a quality product. My dad just bought an 2013 Accord and has no problems/recalls with it ...

Maybe I should reconsider my decision of spending my hard earned money with a company that has to have a recall within 2 months of release! Can anyone convince me that the Ford's quality is equal or better to Honda/Nissan/VW/Audi?

Man, that's not a good sign. I've always heard Ford had quality control issues and never even considered Ford until I saw the Fusion. I was hoping they got their sh*t together and are able to deliver a quality product. My dad just bought an 2013 Accord and has no problems/recalls with it ...

Maybe I should reconsider my decision of spending my hard earned money with a company that has to have a recall within 2 months of release! Can anyone convince me that the Ford's quality is equal or better to Honda/Nissan/VW/Audi?

No.. But those in a glass house should not be throwing stones.

http://www.autoblog....er-steering-is/

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/04/honda-expands-headlight-recall-to-include-820k-civic-pilot-mode/

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/20/honda-recalls-2012-cr-vs-and-2013-acura-ilx-sedans-for-faulty-door-latch/

Edited by mettech

The supplier screwed up on a part that has now been corrected. It happens all the time with all mfrs. The only reason it's so publicized is that it affected the launch of a popular vehicle. The only reason it's an actual Recall is because it affects the headlamps and that's a DOT safety issue. Otherwise it would have just been a service campaign.

It's not good but it says nothing about long term reliability (or even short term reliability). This isn't a part that fails after 3 years. It's flawed immediately.

• Like 3

I'm a former Honda (over 10 new cars), VW and Audi owner. Had the same types of recall/service notice issues with them as well. Drove my Honda Civic Hybrid for

2 years with subpar MPG til they came out with a fix. Oil leaks on a brand new Audi A6. Nissan just recently came out with a recall on the '11-'12 Altima for steering

rack bolts that come loose (talk about saftey). I'm not making excuses for Ford but this is a brand new vehicle and some issues will come up. We would be much less

apt to have problems if we were all buying a model that has been in production for at least 2 years.

Yeah, I'm used to recalls 3-5 years after a car has been on the market, just not within 2 months of release. I just wouldn't expect anyone to have to take their $35k car in for repairs right after they buy it :) I'm glad Ford is fixing this on all shipped and new built cars, so kudos to them.

I'm a former Honda (over 10 new cars), VW and Audi owner. Had the same types of recall/service notice issues with them as well. Drove my Honda Civic Hybrid for

2 years with subpar MPG til they came out with a fix. Oil leaks on a brand new Audi A6. Nissan just recently came out with a recall on the '11-'12 Altima for steering

rack bolts that come loose (talk about saftey). I'm not making excuses for Ford but this is a brand new vehicle and some issues will come up. We would be much less

apt to have problems if we were all buying a model that has been in production for at least 2 years.

Oh my, that's a lot of problems. You have a lot more experience with new cars than me for sure! This is my first new car so I expect it to be PERFECT! :) Edited by neod192

Too bad the fix isn't a nice pair of LED headlamps. :spiteful:

I saw an early review on the MKZ somewhere which said (paraphrased) - "they don't put out the kind of light that HIDs or a good set of projector halogens do".

LED's for that kind of lumen output are still in their infancy.....

Having said that, I still think that the Titanium package should include HIDs. That's what's been done with several of the 'top end' packages (like my '11 Edge Limited) - and for a car pushing 40k......

I wouldn't reconsider - it's an issue with a supplier that's been fixed - from the info available it appears that corrected headlamp assemblies started going into new builds on the line sometime in late October or early November.

If the Turbos were blowing up or the engines throwing a valve - that'd be a different matter....

Much much better to find the problem early and fix most vehicles before they get delivered than to have this happen over time to hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

If anything I think it speaks to Ford's inspection process for new vehicles that they even caught this type of flaw at all since it only shows up after use.

• Like 1

I'd rather have them fixing the problem before most units are shipped than waiting years to even discover a problem exists. It's going to affect far fewer cars.

Now with the announcement of the 1.6 recall for the overheating thing, I went back and checked a few VINs again... looked at this one in Etis and it now has all 3 recent actions needed... 3FA6P0HR5DR110983 -- built almost 2 months ago and I don't think it's at the dealer yet either.

And maybe the hybrids were already getting the upgrade when they started rolling out. Interesting to see that apparently there are two issues that were rumored here proving to be correct-- the software upgrade and the headlights.

Was browsing local dealer's incoming and found that 3FA6P0LU9DR147112 is a hybrid that will get headlight replacement once it arrives, or I suppose along the way if it's sitting in Flat Rock.

Yes, thanks dbmaven and salva for those updates. Looks like the rumors about headlights were true!

I'll be visiting my dealer on Monday to fix the fit issue I have about the trunk and hood, fixing the MFT upgrade, and seeing if they heard about this headlight issue. I have a feeling I'll have to set up another appointment for the headlights.

Hi Vincep5, could you please elaborate about your trunk/hood fit issue? I have read some rumors but nothing really in depth about what the issue, how easy/long term/look like brand new is to fix the issue by the dealer, date of brakepoint and how to know if my car is affected.

I keep checking my dealer's inventory at ford.com to see if the first car I ordered (hybrid, not titanium) has shown up. It hasn't. I thought maybe I'd go see it if it came in. I'm guessing that car is most likely stuck in the black hole, as well.

I keep checking my dealer's inventory at ford.com to see if the first car I ordered (hybrid, not titanium) has shown up. It hasn't. I thought maybe I'd go see it if it came in. I'm guessing that car is most likely stuck in the black hole, as well.

Jesus Christ I know... the black hole of Hermosillo TBD cars

black-hole-blast.jpg?1354059007

• Like 1