Escape horn beeps twice when exiting while engine running...

Escape'13

Does any one else's horn beep twice when you shut the driver door while leaving your Escape running? For instance, when I drop my kid off in the morning, I leave the engine running for the short time I drop her off, and the car will beep at me when I shut the door.

I realize that this is most likely a warning indicator so that you don't unintentionally leave the car running while leaving it, but it is kind of annoying. I haven't been able to find where this warning is mentioned in the owner's manual, or if it is a warning that could be turned off, etc.

Any one else notice this and have any other input? Thanks...

Do you have Intelligent Access? If so you're probably taking the fob out of range.

Yes, I do have IA, but would like the option of leaving the engine run, step inside for a few minutes (with the fob in my pocket), and come back without the horn going off (sometimes in the early morning, or sometimes someone thinks I am hinking at them, etc.)

I was loaned a Taurus with IA while I was waiting for my Escape to be delivered, and it didn't do this alarm when I took the fob out of range.

• but would like the option of leaving the engine run, step inside for a few minutes

I would advise against it. We have more than a few car thefts when owners leave the cars running and walk inside their home or store. "Only for a minute" is more than enough for someone to drive off in the car. Today's vehjicle don't need extended warm ups and the heat in the winter comes on rapidly.

I would advise against it. We have more than a few car thefts when owners leave the cars running and walk inside their home or store. "Only for a minute" is more than enough for someone to drive off in the car. Today's vehjicle don't need extended warm ups and the heat in the winter comes on rapidly.

One reason I like remote start. Even with the engine running you can't put the car in gear until the key is in range and you press the Start button.

What NickF1011 wrote is true and spot on. And you should also take Nick's advise and change your habits. You can still leave the vehicle with the engine running, just use your exterior keypad to lock the vehicle and then use it again to gain access. A simple extra step to avoid theft or some child getting in your car while its running and you are not around.

Edited by Escapism

• 4 weeks later...

Does any one else's horn beep twice when you shut the driver door while leaving your Escape running? For instance, when I drop my kid off in the morning, I leave the engine running for the short time I drop her off, and the car will beep at me when I shut the door.

I realize that this is most likely a warning indicator so that you don't unintentionally leave the car running while leaving it, but it is kind of annoying. I haven't been able to find where this warning is mentioned in the owner's manual, or if it is a warning that could be turned off, etc.

This may solve your problem. Someone just needs to confirm this works and that the horn doesn't honk wwhen you exit.

This excerpt was taken from Escape City forum when someone posted how to reprogram the key fob.

Reprogramming key FOB also enables the "quick stop" feature. If you're running errands and want to leave your Escape running via remote start, it's now possible.

(1) Put your Escape in Park and take your foot off the brake pedal.

(2) Press the remote start button on your RS keyfob twice.

(3) You can now remove your key and your Escape will stay running while you run in the post office/ grocery store/ etc. and the 10 minute timer starts (or 15 minutes if you reprogrammed it).

(4) Get out and lock your Escape via keyfob after closing the driver's door. (Escape won't lock if driver's door is opening and engine is running).

(5) When you return to your Escape, it will act like it a "normal" remote start.

Edited by Escapism

• 1 year later...

The "beep-beep" that you are experiencing is due to the "mislock" feature. This is to alert you that you are leaving your vehicle running and unlocked. You can disable this feature by navigating to: settings--->vehicle---->locks---->mislock---->off in your left hand information screen. The car will then no longer beep when you leave it running and unlocked or when you try to lock it with they keyfob inside.

That only exists on the Fusion, not Escape and it only prevents you from trying to lock the keys in the vehicle.

The beeps in question here are due to trying to leave the vehicle running without a valid IA fob in the vehicle. You can eliminate it by leaving the fob in the vehicle - or having another fob in the vehicle - or leaving the door open.