Heated Seats - Ford says "Not with Remote Start" ?

PajamaGuy

Both 1st and 2nd printing of the 2013 Escape Owner's Manual, as well as the Quick Reference Guides, and other promotional materials state (using various words) that the heated seats come on during a Remote Start when the system deems the weather is "Cold".

I asked Ford Customer Service the following:

The manual says:

In hot weather, the system is set to 72°F (22°C). Cooled seats are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display).

In moderate weather, the system either heats or cools (based on previous settings). The rear defroster, heated mirrors and heated/cooled seats are not automatically turned on.

In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F (22°C). The heated seats and heated steering wheel are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display). The rear defroster and heated mirrors are automatically turned on.

What temperature is considered "Cold", and which is "Hot"? (I assume in-between is "Moderate".) It was 29F this morning and the seats did NOT heat. (All Remote Start Climate settings are "Auto") I'm not complaining, I just want to know.

The answer I received:

Thank you for writing us back. This is Glaiza again, from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I received your follow-up email inquiring what the considered temperature is.

I have re-escalated this to our Technical Subject Matter Expert and based on our resources the heated seats are not controlled or activated when using remote start. The manual states if available and when selected to auto. Page 86 of the owner’s manual shows all available settings for remote start and the seats are not included. The temp is 32 degrees when the system considers it cold.

Again, thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

Glaiza

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

This is the 2nd time I've asked about a function/feature included in the manual - and this is the 2nd time "Glaiza" has answered that the feature/function isn't there.

My 2013 Escape SEL AWD 2.0, has every available option except the Towing Package. So far, there are at least 4 things that are stated in the manual (2nd Printing) that do not exist:

1. Automatic Heated seats during Remote Start - (Pg:120) (Not the heated Steering Wheel)

2. Mobile Applications (Applink) (Pg:284)

3. Programming the Drivers Seat/Mirrors memory into the Personal Code on the Keyless Entry Keypad (Pg:60-61)

4. Programming the Personal Codes to the Keyless Entry KeyPad via MFT (Pg:60-61)

So I ask my Escape Brothers, "Do your heated seats come on during a Remote Start?" - "Can you access Mobile Apps?" - (check out "Sync Destinations" - Android Apps), "Can you program Personal Codes via MFT?"

I haven't dug that deep, but I think I remember reading the heated seat switches need to be on to at least 1 to come on when using the remote start. I thought Mobile Apps wasn't available yet and thanks for the reminder to check the personal codes via MFT, I meant to check that post 3.5.1 update.

Not one of you questions, but regarding the climate control, does the CC need to be left on when the car is shut down to come on to the center display preset settings, or the default settings when in remote start?

Sorry if I'm confused, but the heated seats is a switch(1-5) on this car, so if you leave it on (1-5) and you use the remote start, wouldn't it automatically start turning on the heat since its a switch? If it was set to 0 and you used the remote start obviously it would be off since you manually hadn't set it on prior to leaving the car.

Also I wasn't aware this car had a heated steering wheel, thought it was just heated side mirrors?

If I understand it correctly, the climate control systems and settings and I'm not sure about the seats, when in remote start staus can be set to unique (set on the center screen message center screen) settings from the climate settings when the car is started with the key or intelligent access, or left on Auto to default to the setting when the car was shut down. If I understand the OP's question, I think it was if the seats activate regardless of the setting when the remote start is used. The next time I'm in the car I'll have to check if the seats are a programable setting through MyFord. the Message Center. The heated steering wheel comment in the manual must be a general statement, it's not an option on the Escape but is an option on the Taurus and I suppose the upper trim Edge, Explorer and Lincoln's. Seems unnecessary to me and I live where it can be -20 many winter mornings, but that doesn't mean it's not needed. The heated mirrors are not programable and only come on when the rear defrost is on.

Edited by transitman

Simply, they didn't rewrite the description for the Escape owners manual and it's incorrect. This is the operation for Edge, Explorer, and Fusion that have the heated seats integrated into MFT. Heated seats are not integrated in MFT for the Focus and Escape, thus the operation is manual and you need to set them before you exit the vehicle if you want them to come on when you remote start.

If you set the remote start options to "auto" it will determing whether to run heat, A/C, defrost, rear defrost depending on outside temperature. Doesn't matter what your previous settings or if the climate was off last time you used it.

If you set the remote start options to "last setting" then it will remote start using what the climate was set to the last time you were driving.

Same thing with the external keypad, they were lazy and didn't rewrite it for the Escape. I expect for these to change in the 5th or 6th revision of the Escape manual. I don't know who they have writing these things, it wouldn't take much to confirm operation.

Edited by svtenthusiast

svtenthusiast - Not at all in a smartass tone - Do you know what you wrote as fact? - or you using logical deduction? I can understand (at least 1st printing) the manual being incorrect, but the QRGs (Quick Reference Guides) as well?

If anyone from Ford reads this, "How about at least posting an errata until the manuals and other promotional data are corrected?” None of this stuff is all that important, but as a techie, I'd like to know what features and functions my $37k ride is supposed to have.

Some heated seats don't work unless someone is actually sitting in them. Don't know if this is relavent or not and I'm too lazy to read all the previous posts. that's what you-all (sourthern accent) get for liv'in in the great white north. :slap:

Edited by Escapism

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is still relevant or if anyone still cares, I confirmed for myself that the heated seats do not come on with remote start. After 5 minutes, the defrost air was nice and warm, but the seats were not.

Ditto, twice now I've had my seats set to 1, used the remote start, and both times I've gotten in the car, I had heat from the vents but the seats were not warm.