New Fusion Owner Pics and Impressions

MineralstangGT

006.jpg004.jpg003.jpg

My purchase was rather interesting. Found exactly the model w/options I was looking for on-line: TI w/Nav, 19" wheels, Driver Assist, Moonroof, TUXEDO BLACK locally at a dealer I had purchased an Explorer and Expedition years past. So...printed up the window sticker and walked in one eve. with my x-plan pin and after talking to the sales guy and finance manager thought I had my car. Car was still a-ways out, supposed to arrive 10/22.

Got a call from the salesman next day- Come on down, finish up the paperwork. Show up the next day, my salesman or the finance manager wasn't in, no big deal. Sit down with next in line, show him the sticker, Sorry sir that unit is not available, we'd be happy to order you one. Me- No kidding, its not available because I bought it last night. He disappears and comes back Sorry, NO- but be happy to order you one.

OK, can I talk to the GM. Sure he says, so into the GM's office. He goes into a mini rant about x-plan pricing, you can't have my first TI, you must have not told them you were x-plan. Blah-blah. Need to talk to the owner. So - into the owners office, now I'm burning red. The owner and GM go back and forth with the GM spouting about how we're not making anything, we'll have no TI's to show off, they had others on order..come on. Owner barely looking up from his comp says its the GM's call- the salesman and FINANCE MANAGER, his son by the way, didn't have the authority to agree to x-plan!! Obviously now it's all about the money.

At that point, every one was getting quite a show. No voices raised too high, but it was obvious there was a scene. I made numerous points about being a long time customer, the owners son closed the deal etc, etc. So ready to walk and would have if I had options... but....Another half hour of everyone avoiding me with the GM finally handing me the invoice and a hand shake. Done

Called the next day and again the finance manager says no, we would rather not sell it to you.....WTF.... Told him the blow by blow and he says I'll call you tomorrow. No call of course so I go in the next day and with many apologies he said we are good. Still should have told them to stick it, but.......

10/22 comes and goes, no show. It's in transit until 10/29. 10/29 comes and goes and told a couple more days. Still no show, so call the GM and the shipping date was been changed to TBD and we don't know if its still in Hermosillo or Detroit. Everyone here knows what that means now, but silver lining he says we have a White Platinum that showed up today equipped exactly the same. I am real picky about options and the White Platinum was my #2 choice.

So, slide out of work, give it a solid look over and test drive, bought it there on the spot while two other people were pawing at it. Have about 600 miles on it and its an incredible vehicle but not without some minor gripes. Nothing major and I'll post some impressions in a day or so, got to go.

• Like 5

You have too much patience, after that they did not deserve your business. There are other dealers that would happily take x plan without fuss.

My first dealer strung me on after having me sign papers for a car that was in transit. 6 weeks later the car went from hermasillo to flat rock. During that time they told me to be patient and pay the loan payment. I was furious and cancelled my deal before the 1st payment.

Golf Mill Ford is very shady in their tactics.

I went to Arlington Heights Ford and they located a vehicle for me within 4 days. They turned me into loving Ford again.

Normally never would have put up with any thing close to that, but my son needed my old car and I was dead set on a new Fusion. I didn't see any equipped the way I wanted from any local dealers, most had SE's on order

Only alternative was to order and with the delays when would that be?? 3-4 months plus??

End result...worth it, but they will never see my business again.

• Like 1

End result...worth it, but they will never see my business again.

Well may I suggest a slight modification of that - when you are ready for the next car, go back to that dealer and take a test drive, then when the test drive is done you can tell them that you've bought an Explorer, Expedition, and Fusion from them in the past, but last time you were treated like dirt and please pass to the sales manager and general manager that you were really just there for a test drive and now know what you want and can go purchase the vehicle from another dealer... but thanks for the test drive, and buh-bye.

• Like 2

Nice, Vince! Looks sharp. What are your first impressions, other than your fitment issues?

Anyone drive these cars out at night, how good are the headlights? H11's are apparently pretty weak, and I do a lot of night driving in rural areas, so that has me a little concerned. May look into doing the H9 conversion.

I really like it. I came from a civic hybrid so I chose the 1.6 and the power is really good. The exterior is really sporty and sleek. The seats are comfortable. I really like MyFordTouch and Sirius XM! I see a lot of complaining about it, but its really cool having all those screens. I think its easy to use. The great thing is that the software is updateable so you know that Ford is really invested in making it better after each release. The side mirrors need some time to get adjusted to. It has that blind spot mirror that is hard to see sometimes. Dual climate control is great. My wife loves it. :)

I need to drive it more to tell you about the headlights, but I didnt notice any issues last night with it.

Two things that I dont like..

There are a lot of buttons on the steering wheel. Not a fan of it, but hey, you can customize your dash since the left and right side clusters are LCD screens.

The Ford key fob. It feels like you have to push really hard to press the buttons on it. and after you hit it, it doesnt feel like it "clicks"

BTW the premium floor mats are a waste of money! My dealer had found a car that matched my requirements and had that "option" already included.

I know a lot of members here have or are customizing their Fusions. I would NOT choose that one :)

Strike,

The online "build your Fusion" tool has one picture of the "premium floor mats".

They seem to be better/thicker carpet than stock. But still carpet.

Personally, I've had bad experiences wtih carpet mats in the almost always wet/ sometimes snowy US Pacific Northwest.

But as you seem to hail from Ontario, I'd be curious what's your "car carpet strategy" for what I believe to be a harsher climate than mine.

Yeah, I was wondering if they actually look like they do in the photo, with the nice Fusion logo on there and such. :P

I will remove them in the winter, and have either Huskyliners, or something equiv installed for the winter months. I almost always take out any carpet mats in the winter, the snow that you track in melts, and freezes to solid ice on the carpet, then thaws, and turns into a real mess. Makes for some very ruined carpeted floor mats. The carpet material tends not to last very long after a few seasons of doing that.

I opted out of the Premium Floor mats when I ordered my car. I usually change the stock mats out for a rubber floor mat. I'm curious about the Weathertech and Husky floor mats and may go that route. Our winters here in Ontario can be crazy with the snow, mud and especially salt the carpet floor mats normally don't last a year. The salt just kills the fabric of the carpet and it usually goes through the mat on to the actual carpet of the car. When I ordered my car, I asked the sales rep about the quality of the mats and he said that they are still carpet, but thicker. So after hearing that I opted out of them and never looked back...

JSKershaw,

FWIW, I've had Weathertec liners in my cars for years and they've worked pretty well for me.

This time, depending on when the car actually arrives, may try the Huskies.

But we should probably take that discussion to the other thread.

And, hopefully soon, post pictures of our new cars here, for enjoyment of the panel gap police :dry:

• Like 1

Few thoughts after 600 miles:

Keyless entry/start. One of my favorite features. Still getting used to not fumbling for keys. Open/lock at any door, way cool

Key pad entry. Don't even know its there. Big improvement

Remote start. Way cool also. Just a neat thing now, but will pay off with weather extremes

Fit/finish. No issues- every thing lines up dead nuts and finish is great

Trunk/ hinges. Don't remember the issue. Can't imagine there is one, I'll get whatever myself or the family needs in there, no problem

Front license plate.... Gone ...Two Auto Zone trim caps painted white blend right in

Active grill shutters. This TI does have one. Does it move?? Assume so?? Think there was debate on application.

Monocromatic side mirrors. Nice to have the driver side. Too bad not on passenger side

Headlights. No HID is a big let down. Lights seem weak and narrow focused to the middle. Auto high beams-Prob turn that off...Aftermarket-Dunno

Paint. Tri-Coat Platinum. Awesome. More comments on this than anything

Moon roof. Lots of buffetting at speed. Will only open 2/3 of the way by design. Still cool with the shade open or venting

Seats are great. Adjustable headrests fore/aft put it right where you want it

19" H wheels. Must have or get the other premium ones. For me the stock wheels with all the spokes are horrendous. Can't believe they went with those

Handling. Biggest surprise. This thing handles like its on rails. Canyon roads beware

Ride. Better than I thought with the 19's. It's firm but still very good. See above

Engine. Not a rocket, but the 2.0 has tons of poke. Outside engine noise at idle definetly reminds you its a four banger. Inside, no issue with that or road noise. very quiet and nice

Brakes. Great

Elec Steering. Kinda light but fine at speed.

Lane keeping assist. Thought it didn't work for first two days. Surprised somebody didn't report me for DUI while testing!! Little coffee cup came up a couple times recommending rest. It works, but jury is out for me

Bliss. Way way cool

Didn't get park assist- I can drive. No active cruise. Not worth the $ for me

MFT. Didn't buy the Mrs. an '11 Edge because of it, Didn't want to have to listen to it. You know what I mean. Gen 2 is better than I thought but touch effort, the occasional delays, NAV glitches are annoying. No blue screen or lock ups, but still not totally ready for prime time- but close. I like it. The combo of the three screens gets everything you could want right there. SNYC is cool. Voice command. Some is dead on some not so. Learning curve for me

Back up cam and sensors. Nice feature

Sony Stereo w/12. It rocks. If your not happy, you're real picky. Not as nice as my wifes Acura but close.

All in all a great vehicle as long as relaibility is up to snuff?? I'm one of those never buy a first model year or early production unit.....We'll I was until now...

• Like 5

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Fusion. I am jealous as I wait for mine lol.

Like you, I love the 19" H-Spoke rims, and was quite disappointed that they are not offered on the Titanium Hybrid. I also don't care for the standard Titanium rims either, so I will most likely get some aftermarket 18" rims so I can reuse the tires, and save some money. I would have paid extra for the Luxury rims or the Appearance package rims. Maybe in the future, I will have some extra fun money to spend on the H-spoke rims and tires.

I do have one question: With the Intelligent Access, do the doors lock as you walk away from the car, or is there a setting to automatically lock the doors when you exit the vehicle? Was just wondering if you still have to press the lock button on the door or fob to lock the doors. I am looking forward to having it and the push button start.

As an FYI, you can fully open the moonroof, If you hit the open "button" a second time after it opens 2/3 of the way, it will fully open. Not sure why they designed it that way.

Edited by lmp180psu

Yeah, I am completely baffled by the stock 18" rims on the Titanium trim. They don't look good at all. Even the Luxury rims look nicer. Too bad they don't give you the option of the SE Appearance Package rims for the Titanium.

Thanks for your impressions bob. Kinda surprised at your comments on the handling. The consensus seems to be that it handles extremely well. What car were you coming from?

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Fusion. I am jealous as I wait for mine lol.

Like you, I love the 19" H-Spoke rims, and was quite disappointed that they are not offered on the Titanium Hybrid. I also don't care for the standard Titanium rims either, so I will most likely get some aftermarket 18" rims so I can reuse the tires, and save some money. I would have paid extra for the Luxury rims or the Appearance package rims. Maybe in the future, I will have some extra fun money to spend on the H-spoke rims and tires.

I do have one question: With the Intelligent Access, do the doors lock as you walk away from the car, or is there a setting to automatically lock the doors when you exit the vehicle? Was just wondering if you still have to press the lock button on the door or fob to lock the doors. I am looking forward to having it and the push button start.

As an FYI, you can fully open the moonroof, If you hit the open "button" a second time after it opens 2/3 of the way, it will fully open. Not sure why they designed it that way.

After the doors are closed you can lock them all by touching the top of the exterior handle, on any door. Very handy

You are correct about the second push for moonroof to open all the way, thanks for that. Will have to see if it hurts or helps the buffeting when open at speed. Will check at lunch

Coupla other thoughts:

The LED door light in lieu of knobs are a neat feature. Very easy esp. at night to see lock status

Paddle shifters. Not new for me but very handy downshifting into a turn, holding a gear in heavy traffic and hill engine braking. I don't have much need or see much benefit in upshifting

Other touch actuation. The interior dome lights, sunroof, hvac controls below mft etc. are sensitive and real easy/convenient

• Like 1