Active Grill shutters

Camride

From what I've been reading it seems like the active grill shutters are only on the 1.6L ecoboost with start/stop and the hybrid (I'm assuming the energi will get it as well). Am I right or has someone seen anything to the contrary? It seems like this would have been a great feature to have standard across the board and it seems kind of silly to only have it on a few models. But I also thought the same about the LED tail lights....

It's really hard to tell. In the official PDF 2013 Fusion brochure, it says it's an "available feature". Doesn't specify on what or how, I've looked up dozens of VINs on the ETIS and their data is showing some "With Active Grilleshutter" and some read "Less Active Grilleshutter", SE, S, Titanium or what, it's all random. It could be standard across the board, and the ETIS Data is messed up. Or, there is some rhyme or reason it's not on some cars, and is on others. I thought maybe climate zones at first, due to freezing up in the winter, but a couple of the Titaniums here in Ontario, the VINS read With. So, I honestly have no idea.

I believe they close up part of the grille during highway cruising speeds to help reduce the drag of the air rushing into the engine bay, and thus helping it flow more freely around the front of the car, lowering drag and increasing fuel economy apparently.

Correct. When air goes through the grill it gets all jostled up going around the engine and ends up causing drag on the car. By closing the grills they're forcing the majority of the air around the outside of the car (where it's much more aerodynamic) instead of into the engine bay. The lower the coefficient of drag the less power you need to push the car, especially at highway speeds.

• Like 1

I ordered a 1.6 EB on May 25th with a 6MT.

When the ETIS showed it built on 10/22, it has:

• Active Grilleshutter
  • Rocker Panel Moulding - Body Colour
  • With Titanium Door Frame Mouldings
  • Less Spoiler
  • With Electrochromic R/View Mirror
  • Dual Pwr/Heat/Mem/E Chr/Pud Lmp Mr
  • With Front Seat Back Stowage Pocket
  • Less Ski Bag Provision
  • etc., etc.....

Honestly it kind of makes sense?

Why would you put this technology mainstream on gas-only vehicles? They aren't designed to save MPG other than having a tuned, underpowered engine for the most part. They are sharks that tear through the air..and you buy them to do so because they are powerful..and like brick walls nothing stand in their way with all those horses under the hood...except maybe a..brick wall... BUT the percentage you'd save in MPG in a gas powered car would be nominal..especially at higher and higher horsepower where any small benefit really gets negated versus the price of installing those active grilles in the car. If you're not buying a hybrid for its special MPG saving tech then you obviously aren't putting MPG first..thus why would you have expensive MPG saving tech installed in your car?...and besides...by principle people buying a titanium for the performance (from what i've seen in reviews from "normal" people) ...they love speed, love racing and going fast and all feel active grille shutters would make the engine overheat...who knows? maybe race cars don't need active grille shutters?..so neither would the gas performing fusions?

..Beyond that however, the hybrid is less of a shark and more of a graceful dolphin..powerful and agile in its own right in an otherwise shark dominated world..and unlike sharks with their powerful muscles to get them where they want dolphins use special tactics to get them where they need to go. They are smaller and more streamlined ..and just as a dolphin can take advantage of jetstreams to get places faster and further for less energy. So do hybrids close their active grille shutters to allow them to cut through air easier and maintain faster speeds....if you asked which is more beautiful a dolphin or shark, gas or hybrid..you'd get many different opinions...but one is smarter, one communicates better with its environment, and one is definitely more specialized for its existence in the wild.

So when you're trying to get every ounce of speed out of an engine less powerful than a gas model it seems fitting to use active grille shutters even if it will get you only 1 or 2 mpg more..because in a world where every car company is trying to offer the best hybrids 1 or 2 mpg can be the difference between one brand or another..and Ford has achieved 47mpg combined. I can see this active grille technology being on the ecoboost with auto start/stop because even though it is a gas model...those buyers have opted for MPG and fuel savings..thus consciously chose to not sacrifice a powerful engine for hybrid-like performance...so Ford would include active grilles on those models to help them achieve any nominal mpg savings they can also get from that. It's kind of a perk for those ecoboost buyers..who knows how much it will actually help, but since they purchased the "green gas" fusion they ought to have a little more flavor under the hood to help them see benefits in their car versus the other ecoboost non auto start/stop models.

Edited by DarkeRetribution

Why can't I have performance and good gas mileage also? Don't see why those two are mutually exclusive. With CAFE being a corporate average doesn't it make sense for all vehicles to be as efficient as possible?

Sure it makes logical sense..but does it make financial sense? In a hybrid it would make financial sense because it costs more..thus it can have more of that "gas saving tech" and it needs it more desperately because the whole reason of a hybrid is to achieve better mileage than a gas vehicle..and right now makers are trying to get the gap between gas and hybrid as great as possible....but putting expensive tech in a gas car just cause a couple people want it or THINK it will help them achieve good gas mileage does not make good financial sense. You are paying for your engine first and MPG second when you opt for non hybrids...so you get a tuned ecoboost engine that will get you the greatest mileage.....if you opt for hybrids first in your mind then you're opting for expensive tech in your car to get you good mileage thus active grilles are installed because its included in that premium and those buyers do not get a powerful ecoboost engine... It's all about money in the end. No one is saying you can't have performance and good gas mileage....it's called a ECOBOOST or tubo-charged 4 cylinder.. that's what you get. Anyone who gets a hybrid gets a less powerful engine but its negated by the technology that increases mpg..and people who want this option pay more for it but its worth it getting 47mpg versus 22mpg.

You get what you pay for and Ford has, luckily, made sure no matter what trim you buy you get a car with maximum fuel economy. So enjoy your gas because it may be the best gas midsized sedan on the market...but if you want more than just an underpowered, turbo-boost engine to give you good gas mileage then maybe you should look less at the gas models and more towards purchasing a hybrid. Fortunately, Ford created a 1.6 liter ecoboost engine with auto start stop and active grille shutters...so looks like you can get the best of both worlds with that though....nothing like the worlds first hybrid-like gas lol. I guess that makes it a hybrid-non-hybrid.

Edited by DarkeRetribution

You really shouldn't have to choose wether you want fuel efficiency or performance. Let's face it, these cars aren't designed to be race cars, they were all designed to try and be the most fuel efficient mid-sized sedan in the segment. Performance is always a struggle with excellent fuel efficiency. You would honestly think, that as a company, they would squeeze as much of their fuel saving tech in every offering to give maximum fuel efficiency across the board, no matter what trim you select.

Don't forget about the active noise cancellation, and full underbody plating/shielding to reduce drag, those are also hybrid specific items.