C-MAX outsells Prius V in October.

based on our inventory this wont last....I only have 2....and supply is slim....

This is a very exciting time and Ford needs to step up and make as many available as buyers want.

Deanh, could there be a market for Transit Connect as a Hybrid too, I'm thinking that fleets would love it.

I notice the careful wording in the article, C-Max outsold Prius V, not the whole of the Prius range.

So Ford still has a long way to go with hybrid sales...still a great start.

Boy, just imagine if C-max had attractive lease plans too........

That is the $64,000 question that nobody seems to be able to answer. HOW MANY HYBRIDS/ENERGIS CAN FORD PRODUCE/MONTH/YEAR???????? I will guess 50,000 tops. Toyota I believe sold 400,000 last year and plans to sell many more this year. So you can't even compare Ford to Toyota. Ford may come in second this year for hybrids I suppose, but a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry distant second. Up to now, the most hybrids Ford ever sold in a year is about 24,000. So I assume they have increased capacity after 6 long years, but not by that much.

I notice the careful wording in the article, C-Max outsold Prius V, not the whole of the Prius range.

Which makes perfect sense. The C-max isn't intended to be a direct regular Prius competitor. Would be like pointing out that the Fiesta outsold the Yaris, but didn't outsell Yaris and Corolla combined. Of course not!

This is a very exciting time and Ford needs to step up and make as many available as buyers want.

Deanh, could there be a market for Transit Connect as a Hybrid too, I'm thinking that fleets would love it.

absolutely and then some, the Electric Transit Connect was a failure in biblical proportions....

That is the $64,000 question that nobody seems to be able to answer. HOW MANY HYBRIDS/ENERGIS CAN FORD PRODUCE/MONTH/YEAR???????? I will guess 50,000 tops. Toyota I believe sold 400,000 last year and plans to sell many more this year. So you can't even compare Ford to Toyota. Ford may come in second this year for hybrids I suppose, but a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry distant second. Up to now, the most hybrids Ford ever sold in a year is about 24,000. So I assume they have increased capacity after 6 long years, but not by that much.

and i hope it remains that way, if they produce too many demand decreases and in all sincerity cheapens the vehicles image, lowers residuals and forces dreaded rebates....

based on our inventory this wont last....I only have 2....and supply is slim....

I have started noticing lots full of them around though as well. Don't know if they are awaiting shipment or if they are doing build and hold then release a bunch. Also this is excellent considering that there has been no national advertising yet, don't know if in local markets TV ads yet. I know the dealers around here have only got 1 or 2 and they sell within days.

Actually leases arent bad, for all intents and "advertising" purchases, $299 amonth can be reached with 2500 drives on a 26k SE......( 10500 iles per year )

Actually leases arent bad, for all intents and "advertising" purchases, $299 amonth can be reached with 2500 drives on a 26k SE......( 10500 iles per year )

Question,

Focus hatch hybrid with 1.6 DI ICE achieving +50 mpg, could you sell that for around $23K?

Question,

Focus hatch hybrid with 1.6 DI ICE achieving +50 mpg, could you sell that for around $23K?

hard to say, Im pretty sure not unless it was the eco 1.6...for sure the 1.0 in the Focus WILL NOT WORK HERE....sad to say, but the focus is too heavy and big here, 1.0 in the Fiesta would be fine....

oh, and the c-max feel substantially quicker than my fiesta WITH the 1.6.....

yeah, as you go smaller lighter and lower cost with subcompacts, the ROI on hybrids would be terrible..

Let's see how GM does with their diesel Cruze plan, that can only spell more pressure for Volt...

( I just saw a mini version of Ford hybrid tech in Focus hatch as an affordable way of reaching even more buyers)

Edited by jpd80

It seems to me that every week the C-Max ratio is increasing on the assembly line. So maybe it wont be so bad soon?

No doubt Ford is delighted with the buyer response to C-max and perhaps conservative sales estimates caught them slightly off guard

so fingers crossed Ford continues the ramp up into the winter months and builds up some inventory. I have a feling that we're going to

see a lot more inter reaction or counter reaction between Fusion- Focus - C-max and Escape as new models roll in and incentives change.

absolutely and then some, the Electric Transit Connect was a failure in biblical proportions....

The conversion by Azure Dynamics? My local Ford dealer near Indianapolis (Pearson Ford in Zionsville, Indiana) is reported to be an authorized sales and service center for AZD Transit Connect Electric, but I don't know if they have actually sold or serviced any.

The conversion by Azure Dynamics? My local Ford dealer near Indianapolis (Pearson Ford in Zionsville, Indiana) is reported to be an authorized sales and service center for AZD Transit Connect Electric, but I don't know if they have actually sold or serviced any.

About 500 were sold, split about 50/50 between NA and Europe. Most reviews said it was a great car, but clearly priced way out of the market. It was developed in about 12 months at Ford's request, so costs were high, and unlike the Focus, Azure simply couldn't afford to sell the thing at a loss.

Disclaimer: I'm a former Azure engineer.

Edmunds Insideline had some interesting numbers in their story

http://www.insideline.com/ford/c-max-hybrid/2013/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-outsells-toyota-prius-v-in-october.html

3,182 C-Max sales compared to 2,769 Prius-v sales, but the "classic" Prius far outsells the -v. As such total Prius sales were 11,008... Which indicates that while the C-Max is an excellent replacement for the Escape hybrid the bulk of hybrid sales are in compact cars. As such I would think Ford wants to continue hybrid market penetration a Focus 5-door hybrid (regular and plug-in) to go along with the full electric model.

Edmunds Insideline had some interesting numbers in their story

http://www.insidelin...in-october.html

3,182 C-Max sales compared to 2,769 Prius-v sales, but the "classic" Prius far outsells the -v. As such total Prius sales were 11,008... Which indicates that while the C-Max is an excellent replacement for the Escape hybrid the bulk of hybrid sales are in compact cars. As such I would think Ford wants to continue hybrid market penetration a Focus 5-door hybrid (regular and plug-in) to go along with the full electric model.

It's a tricky question but if C-max is as big hit, you can bet Ford will run the numbers on a hybrid Focus hatchback

to see if it would be accepted as a genuine alternative to Classic Prius but scales of economy would definitely be on it's side...

Just saw the C-Max for the first time today. Didn't get a chance to test drive it, but it does seem more mainstream than the Prius V. I think sales will continue to climb (provided they can build them fast enough) and maybe settle around 5000, which would be pretty damn good compared to an established brand like the Prius.

Agreed though that a hybrid Focus could also be an interesting product. I'd be all over that.