How does the 2013 Hybrid drive? vs. 2.0?

superM

Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't have one I can test drive. I'm probably going to go ahead and order anyway since it is refundable.

How does the Hybrid drive? I was gonna get a Titanium, though that won't really affect the ride much I suppose.

Is it purely FWD or is there some AWD because of the electric motor?

How is acceleration? Ride quality, responsiveness?

Has anyone driven the Titanium Fusion vs. the Hybrid that can chime in on comparisons?

Lots of questions, I know. I'm coming from having driven a RWD sports car most of my life, I just want some reassurance that it can be a great daily driver.

The main difference is power and economy. You should drive either one before you buy, to make sure it feels ok compared to what you're used to. The SE hybrid now available is trimmed out to a lower level, because it costs money for all the hybrid stuff. I would imagine the hybrid would be several seconds slower in the quarter mile, but that isn't it's mission.

I own two Hybrids and will never go back to a gas only car.

As bigun66 suggested test drive a C-max -same power train.

I have driven 3 C maxes, they are amazing, very quiet, good acceleration, blows my Prius away . If folks who are interested in a Prius drive a C-max, Ford should have a lot of sales. I would also suggest test driving a 2012 fusion Hybrid. Some are left on dealer lots, this will give you some Idea what hybrids are all about.

Look on line at all the hybrid test drives by magazines so far they are very positive.

http://www.motortren...wall.html?ti=v2

http://blog.laptopma...with-geeky-side

http://inhabitat.com...ish-new-hybrid/

As soon as they start to arrive in greater numbers we will all get some better data-- Good luck, you have chosen a great Hybrid

Note: look at

DarkeRetribution's post Latest 2013 Fusion Hybrid Reviews

Edited by chuckokie36

I drove both the titanium and the hybrid SE. Unfortunately, the version of the hybrid I drove was very base model with no upgrades, so the difference between that and the titanium was big. I have not driven a Hybrid with even the luxury package. The upgrades don't really have a lot to do with the "drivability" anyway.

So, with that said, of course the Titanium was very fun. There was ample power, and handled wonderfully. When stomping on the gas, there is a bit of a delay before the power actually comes. Some drivers don't like that.

The Hybrid was very smooth, with the CVT. (yes, it is FWD only) The power is merely adequate, nothing too exciting. It handled not quite as well as the Titanium, but still impressively for a Hybrid. The braking is a little different because of the energy recovery system, but by no means is it bad.

That said, I have just ordered the Hybrid Titanium with all the add-ons. The great fuel efficiency outweighed the power for me, since most of my driving is heavy traffic. I have had vehicles with plenty of power in the past, so it will be an adjustment.

Before most of you ask, I've only ordered the Hybrid Titanium from the dealer, who cannot get a ROV until December. (they do have the order codes) They can't order from Ford just yet. I'm just toward the front of the line when it is available for order from the factory.

• Like 1

I will definitely have to drive both to see how they feel. I am looking for help when it comes to understanding the power numbers for the hybrid system though. In the fall my ford issue, the cmax system is max performance rated at 188hp and 129 lb ft of torque and is the same as the Fusion system. This system is made up of the gas motor at 141hp and 129tq and the electric motor at 118hp and 117tq according to the ford fusion hybrid tech sheet. Why is the overall system HP a slight combination of the two power sources and the system TQ number is just the gas motor tq rating?

HP is a function of torque multiplied by RPM. ICEs produce max torque around 4K RPM and max HP is usually a bit higher than that.

Electric motors produce max torque instantly regardless of RPM. The HP curve for the electric motor is very different and they don't just get added together.

It's a math thing.

HP is a function of torque multiplied by RPM. ICEs produce max torque around 4K RPM and max HP is usually a bit higher than that.

Electric motors produce max torque instantly regardless of RPM. The HP curve for the electric motor is very different and they don't just get added together.

It's a math thing.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I guess I figured that the HP numbers shouldn't be added together at all either then. But they are in some respect. That is the main thing that confused me.

My Prius With only 110 total HP (gas + electric motor) with 82 Ft Pounds of Torque from the gasoline engine, is very fast off the line 0-30 mph because of the instant Torque of the electric motor.

Look at the Model S Tesla, Basic car 4600 Lbs, 0-60 6.5 seconds. Get the performance version and that drops to 5.5. all due to electric motors

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/gallery

• Like 1

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I guess I figured that the HP numbers shouldn't be added together at all either then. But they are in some respect. That is the main thing that confused me.

To really understand hp you have to first understand that hp is nothing more than a mathematical formula - it isn't measured at all. Torque is measured and a formula is applied to get hp. I think the formula is (torque x RPM)/5252. I can probably generate 150 lb/ft of torque with my arm but only at a few RPM and only for a minute or so. At 3 RPM that's way less than 1 hp. By contrast a car that produces 150 lb/ft at 5000 rpm produces 143 hp.

That's why a mfr can get a hp increase without increasing torque by either moving the torque peak higher in the rpm band or simply raising the redline and allowing the engine to rev higher.

Lots of torque at low rpm = more force to get the vehicle moving. Lots of torque at higher rpm = more power to reach higher speeds. If you can flatten the torque curve so you get lots of torque at low and higher rpm like the ecoboost engines you get the best of both worlds.

There are two motor/generators in the car. One that controls the transmission ( MG1 ) is mostly a generator and the other larger one ( MG2 ) is mostly a motor. During some operations, the ICE drives the wheels and MG1 as a generator which together with the HVB provides electrical power to MG2. This complicated blending together produces very broad horsepower and torgue curves. The complicated stuff is done with software and electronics in a seamless, low loss manner. MG1 is connected to the "Sun" gear of a planetary gear train and can turn in either direction as a motor or generator. By varying the positive or negative torque on it instantaneously, the drive train is controlled. There are no torque converters, clutches, hydraulic valves or anything that wears that are usually found in an automatic transmissions. There is no separate starter motor or alternator as MG1 does both. The MGs are brushless so there's nothing to wear in them. This system has been proven by the Prii to be very durable and long lasting. Ford claims they have had no MG failures and only 6 ( D-sized ) cells ( out of 42,000,000 made ) in the HVB, mostly in the first generation Ford Escape.

Edited by lolder

My Prius With only 110 total HP (gas + electric motor) with 82 Ft Pounds of Torque from the gasoline engine, is very fast off the line 0-30 mph because of the instant Torque of the electric motor.

Look at the Model S Tesla, Basic car 4600 Lbs, 0-60 6.5 seconds. Get the performance version and that drops to 5.5. all due to electric motors

http://www.teslamoto.../models/gallery

Yep, my Prius is also quite quick out of the starting gate. Don't know how the weight of the two vehicles compares, but I anticipate that the Fusion Hybrid will not be radically different with it's increased HP over the Prius.