SYNC with MyFord [vs.] SYNC with MyFord Touch [vs.] Voice-Activated Navigation

DarkeRetribution

Here is a list of the differences between the two . Hopefully this thread will help anyone finding it hard to make the distinction between the three services offered with your new 2013 Fusion

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE DIFFERENCES: http://support.ford....nc-myford-touch

There are three different products here: SYNC with MyFord, Voice-Activated Navigation, and SYNC with MyFord Touch. Let's start with the easiest: SYNC with MyFord

SYNC with MyFord

• This option is the most basic and because you do not get the 8" touch screen you can NOT add any of the following features that require it to work to your vehicle: Rear Video Camera, Voice-Activated Navigation
  • Since SYNC with MyFord does come with SYNC services you'll get 411 business search, personalized sport scores, news, horoscopes, traffic reports, turn-by-turn driving directions (it will speak to you), calendar, weather, movies, stocks, favorites and traffic report for your current location or en route to a personal address point like "Home" or "Work" Please note weather is just for your location or the location you pre-set as home/work. You will not get ANY weather you want
  • You will NOT be able to input a destination with your voice. Destinations must be on your phone or pre-sent to the vehicle
  • You will NOT get 3D maps or any maps of that matter...This is the NON-GPS version as in you do not have the touch screen so you get the small screen, THUS NO GPS-TOM TOM NAGIVATION-LIKE SYSETM
  • The service is complimentary for 3 years
  • You CAN ask it for directions with the MyFord Services. It's similar to GM's OnStar solution. You can ask it for a restaurant or any other POI. It uses your connected cell phone to transmit data to and from the car. You will need a data plan on your phone for this to work. It will then use your phones data plan to download the directions to the car for audio instructions. This is part of the 3 year trial and the $60 per year price tag thereafter.

SYNC with MyFord Touch

• Having this option requires the technology package which includes other features and allows further optional features to be added to your car such as Rear View Camear and Voice-Activated Navigation (more on this next)
  • Including all the SYNC with MyFord features I just mentioned you now get 2 customizable dual 4.2-inch cluster screens
  • You get the 8" customizable touch screen allowing for easier control of your vehicle and its features: climate, navigation, entertainment, and phone. You get greater control and customizability of what is in your forward dash area where your speedometer is.
  • You can now talk to your vehicle and say things like "climate 72 degrees" or "radio tune to serius 101 whatever" you may now "talk" to your car in more ways than just voice-activated phone calling and dialing. So radio-activated dialing is available now
  • You can now transfer your phones contact photos to your phone
  • You can now get HD radio and voice-activated sirius radio.
  • You can now create internet connectivity wifi-hotspots in your vehicle
  • You now get SD card slot and 2 USB drive slots along with RCA jacks (for playstation 3, camera, whatever)
  • You will not get detailed map views (this only comes when equipped with Navigation below)
  • You will get visuals, like street name, arrows, turn in x miles. Just NO MAPS or ability to make a route without your phone (or if your phone has no service)

VOICE-ACTIVATED NAVIGATION

• The only way to get Sirius XM Travel Link. This allows you to get any weather (local and national- not just local weather or home/work weather) with radar images and forecasted weather as well not just what the weather is right now; fuel prices, sports scores and weekly schedules, movie listings, movie start times and ratings; and you get stock informatio
  • FINALLY, VOICE-ACTIVATED NAVIGATION IS IN YOUR VEHICLE. Now you may talk to your car to tell it where to take you using voice-commands. "Find nearest restaurant, take me to the dodgers stadium, find nearest route to whatever" Now you get the ease of talking to your car to tell it where to take you. "Take me to 1234 Fake street" .... TAKING YOU TO 1234 FAKE STREET OR ALBERTSONS GROCERY STORE...stuff like that
  • Most importantly: 3D maps and that TOM-TOM/CELL PHONE GOOGLE MAPS REPLACEMENT. Now your car has "REAL" GPS built in. If you don't think you need this then think to yourself..what if you bought a TOM-TOM and it just talked to you after you typed in an address? no visuals...or what if you had Google Maps on your android phone and you just had a black screen without showing you any directions...if you think you like to travel like that on vacation then dont get this..but if you want a real navigation experience...then you need this.

So there you go...the options and differences laid out in plain day between the three. If you dont care about the touch screen or voice-activated navigation or dvd player...get SYNC WITH MYFORD...however one step up...adding MyFord Touch opens a world of options to your car..too many to pass up if you ask me....and upgrading another $795 to the voice-activated navigation completes the package and with the sirius xm travel link integrated you no longer need some of the basic sync services offered to people who dont have myford touch.

Hope this clears things up. I got all 3 in my new 2013 Fusion..MyFord Touch and V-A-NAV

Edited by DarkeRetribution
  • Like 1

I was wondering, for my own sake, could someone explain how with MyFord Touch (without Voice Activated Navigation) do you get directions through your phone to your vehicle. Like maybe a step by step? I'm very new to this, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my vehicle arrives. Like do you have to go to mapquest on your home computer first, send it to your phone, then send it to MFT? Or can you access directions from mapquest on your phone and then send it to MFT? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I sound like a moron for asking this.

SYNC with MyFord Touch

• Most importantly: 3D maps and that TOM-TOM/CELL PHONE GOOGLE MAPS REPLACEMENT. Now your car has "REAL" GPS built in. If you don't think you need this then think to yourself..what if you bought a TOM-TOM and it just talked to you after you typed in an address...no visuals...or what if you had Google Maps on your android phone and you just had a black screen without showing you any directions...if you think you like to travel like that on vacation then dont get this..but if you want a real navigation experience...then you need this. If you want a real navigation experience PLUS THE "UNIQUE" ABILITY TO TALK TO YOUR GPS TO TELL IT WHERE TO TAKE YOU THEN MOVE ON TO #3

I'm not sure I agree with (or maybe understand) this comment. If you don't order voice activated navigation but get my Ford Touch you will have NO MAPS on your SCREEN. You can however, using a ford app or mapquest.com UPLOAD turn by turn directions to your car. At which point your car will download and step you through the steps as you drive them. I've read its pretty much the same as the voice activated except NO MAPS (you will still get a visual cue like an arrow, road name, etc.) but you cannot make the route on your car without your phone. If you don't have cell service you can't download the directions and thus your car won't be able to walk you through the directions. It apparently will autocorrect but will take longer than the voice activated navigation.

Edited by deadman64

I'm not sure I agree with (or maybe understand) this comment. If you don't order voice activated navigation but get my Ford Touch you will have NO MAPS on your SCREEN. You can however, using a ford app or mapquest.com UPLOAD turn by turn directions to your car. At which point your car will download and step you through the steps as you drive them. I've read its pretty much the same as the voice activated except NO MAPS (you will still get a visual cue like an arrow, road name, etc.) but you cannot make the route on your car without your phone. If you don't have cell service you can't download the directions and thus your car won't be able to walk you through the directions. It apparently will autocorrect but will take longer than the voice activated navigation.

That was actually how I had it above first..but someone told me I was wrong and to add that...I'll take it away now and put it back where it belongs..under navigation Lol...thats what happens when you listen to folks.

Updated it back!

Edited by DarkeRetribution

That was actually how I had it above first..but someone told me I was wrong and to add that...I'll take it away now and put it back where it belongs..under navigation Lol...thats what happens when you listen to folks.

Updated it back!

Ok lol, wasn't trying to call you out, just wanted to make sure you didn't know something different than me. I think you should also note that we get visuals, like street name, arrows, turn in x miles. Just NO MAPS or ability to make a route without your phone (or if your phone has no service).

I was wondering, for my own sake, could someone explain how with MyFord Touch (without Voice Activated Navigation) do you get directions through your phone to your vehicle. Like maybe a step by step? I'm very new to this, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my vehicle arrives. Like do you have to go to mapquest on your home computer first, send it to your phone, then send it to MFT? Or can you access directions from mapquest on your phone and then send it to MFT? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I sound like a moron for asking this.

Don't beat yourself up lol. You're not a moron, you're just a curious consumer who wants to know more about his purchase or possible future purchase. Without V-A-N it will be similar to just plain SYNC with MyFord..you can use Google maps or services like that to send directions to your car, you can use special android/iphone apps made to work with SYNC for this purpose, or you can manually enter it in the vehicle...Hopefully someone can put the step by step directions you want.

Does anyone know how much map updates cost if you get the integrated SD Card maps from ford? I'm assuming they would issue an update every year or few years.

Also do MFT updates cost money?

This is unknown. The last update earlier this year to everyone that were having problems with MFT received a free software upgrade and map update. I'm not sure if they will do this all the time, but my gut says that the software upgrade will be free, but the maps will cost money in the future.

Does anyone know how much map updates cost if you get the integrated SD Card maps from ford? I'm assuming they would issue an update every year or few years.

Also do MFT updates cost money?

MFT updates are free and so are the updgraded maps. Maps are upgraded when MFT is upgraded. For example the current 2.0 update for older Ford vehicles with MFT was free. Ford sent a USB in the mail. Now if you had MTF + Nav you'd get the USB AND a SD card with the new maps. So that's cool

Map updates have traditionally cost $200. The map update that was sent out with the MFT update was necessitated by a change in map data and format. The old cards didn't work with the new software and vice versa. MFT updates are free but in all likelihood future map updates will also cost $200. Ford doesn't supply the map data - they buy it from Navteq and the updates come from Navteq.

Would that also work if you don't have voice activated nav?

Yes, but you do need to have the Sync service activated on the car. $60 per year for Sync Services.

Here's the site for Inrix.

http://www.inrix.com/default.asp

I believe that the Sync Destinations app also links into INRIX for traffic data

Edited by JSKershaw

Yes, but you do need to have the Sync service activated on the car. $60 per year for Sync Services.

Here's the site for Inrix.

http://www.inrix.com/default.asp

I believe that the Sync Destinations app also links into INRIX for traffic data

The thing that worries me about sync turn by turn is that it seems great on paper but I have no clue how well it will work with my iPhone 5. I have read mixed reviews online about the sync turn by turn and app link

Edited by deadman64

It will work the same, because if you do not buy the Navigation add on the Navigation corner/quadrant will not be active. All you will get is a compass. If you are using the Sync services turn-by-turn shown above you will get arrows for when the next turn approaches. How detailed it is unknown right now until someone posts a video. My guess is that the arrows will appear on the small right screen of your instrument cluster and not on the MFT screen. But I could be wrong.

Found a video of how Scout (by telenav) will integrate with my ford applink

Seems to work great. Only downside I see is that it probably won't display anything on the instrument cluster, but you will have complete maps on the main screen all for 25 bucks a year!

Edited by deadman64