Screen Protector for MFT?

deadman64

I think it depends on what you want more I think. DayVue seems to fight glare better, but there won't be much as much direct sunlight as say having a tablet outside. Where as the Triple A says it hides fingerprints much better, which i think would be something I would go for if I bought a screen protector.

I haven't used either, I am going off what they said on their site:

NuShield Triple A™ - Antiglare-Antimicrobial film
  • Gives a moderate, matte finish to display
  • Prevents growth of germs on film surface
  • Best choice for public environments
  • Seamless installation-no adhesive lines
  • Almost as durable and scratch resistant as NuShield AG™
  • Scatters reflected light, minimizing its effects
  • Better antiglare performance than NuShield AG™
  • Hides fingerprints
  • Outdoor bright glare can overwhelm it - can darken
  • Works well to "fuzz out" reflected images
  • Eliminates 99% of UVB ultra violet light
  • Best for moderate light and reflected image reduction

NuShield DayVue™ Antireflective film
  • Will greatly diminish glare, even under bright outdoor conditions
  • Cancels reflected light
  • Glossy film with no haze – maintains pure colors
  • Best under indirect bright light conditions
  • Direct sun can still wash out display
  • Can show fingerprints
  • Can show weak reflections
  • Eliminates 99% of UVB ultra violet light
  • Best for indirect bright light where reflected images are not a big concern

I have the Triple A Nushield on my Edge. It does cut down on fingerprints a LOT. I put one on about 2 weeks after I got mine in November 2010 and I still haven't had to replace it yet. No bubbles have formed under it either. Great product!

Thanks for posting. Is direct sunlight an issue at all?

Thanks for posting. Is direct sunlight an issue at all?

It washes out if the sun is really bright, but I don't even think the anti-glare film would prevent that. It's like trying to watch television if the sun is shining on the screen. I doubt any screen protector could prevent it entirely. I've found that it really doesn't get direct sun very often though...mostly just at late dawn/ early dusk when the sun is at just the right angle to get in through the side or rear windows.

I have the Triple A Nushield on my Edge. It does cut down on fingerprints a LOT. I put one on about 2 weeks after I got mine in November 2010 and I still haven't had to replace it yet. No bubbles have formed under it either. Great product!

Can you do us a favor and post some images so we can see what the screen looks like in terms of darkness and fingerprints. If you can take some indoors (such as in a garage) and some outdoors (such as parked outside the garage or on the street in front of your house) it would be great...my biggest worry is that anti-glare, etc. materials will block too much light coming from the touchscreen and make it like wearing sunglasses or watching a 3D movie with active glasses on..i dont want to deminish too much of the light coming out the screen to reduce fingerprints, etc.

• Like 1

Can you do us a favor and post some images so we can see what the screen looks like in terms of darkness and fingerprints. If you can take some indoors (such as in a garage) and some outdoors (such as parked outside the garage or on the street in front of your house) it would be great...my biggest worry is that anti-glare, etc. materials will block too much light coming from the touchscreen and make it like wearing sunglasses or watching a 3D movie with active glasses on..i dont want to deminish too much of the light coming out the screen to reduce fingerprints, etc.

Took this one about a month ago in the middle of the day... Pardon the dust. ;)

post-15254-0-49611600-1350330822_thumb.jpg

Will try to get one in direct light. Not going to happen today though in the rain.

Edited by NickF1011

Yes, you can load customizable wallpapers from a thumb drive.

Hey, since you clearly have Sync services can you tell me about the turn by turn stuff you can do?

I decided to save 750 bucks by not getting voice activated nav, because it seemed I could 'sync' directions from my phone. Does it work well? Any info you can provide is appreciated, thanks!

Hey, since you clearly have Sync services can you tell me about the turn by turn stuff you can do?

I decided to save 750 bucks by not getting voice activated nav, because it seemed I could 'sync' directions from my phone. Does it work well? Any info you can provide is appreciated, thanks!

Don't really have much experience with Sync Services. I have full nav in mine, so I've only used that. I've used the other stuff like checking the weather and traffic and what not which is all pretty clear and straight forward.

Slightly off the OP's topic, but in line with the last topic, can someone please explain to me a little better about the Sync Service? I hear after the trial period, it becomes a monthly cost. Does that mean if I decide not to continue with the Sync services, I will not be able to see driving directions and maps? Or I just won't be able to hear voice directions?

Slightly off the OP's topic, but in line with the last topic, can someone please explain to me a little better about the Sync Service? I hear after the trial period, it becomes a monthly cost. Does that mean if I decide not to continue with the Sync services, I will not be able to see driving directions and maps? Or I just won't be able to hear voice directions?

I believe if you do not have nav or Sync Services you will lose all the driving directions and/or map capability.

I believe if you do not have nav or Sync Services you will lose all the driving directions and/or map capability.

That's my understanding as well. But it's only 60 a year (I think) so much cheaper than integrated maps (unless thats worth the extra cost to you). I'm gambling that I can live with SYNCing turn by turn directions. You still get an arrow saying what direction, the road name, etc. and it shows up on the main 8" screen and the one small screen by the speedometer so I think for the few times I use it, it will work out. Plus we get all future software updates, so it can only get better...I hope.

Nick, do you have an iPhone?

Edited by deadman64

Just sent some turn-by-turns from Sync Destinations to Sync Services. Will see how it plays out on my evening commute.

Awesome, really appreciate it.

The main things I'm curious about:

-Does it say turn in 1 mile?

-What does it display on the screen?

-Does it autocorrect if you miss a turn?

Edited by deadman64