2013 Front License Plate Mounting

pillboy

How many people have their front license plate screwed directly to the black plastic trim on the front bumper? That is how my dealer attached their advertising "plate". I prefer a little "substance" behind (and in front of) my front plates to keep them from getting all bent to $h!t or sandblasted from road sand in the winter. Now I know some of you don't need a front plate (bully for you), but I have no real qualms about front plates if they are in nice shape.

I was just going to forget about this since I have satisfied myself, but today I saw a silver Escape from a dealer other than mine and they had their advertising "plate" mounted noticeably lower than mine was. That made me wonder what is the intended location by Mother Ford. There is no front licence plate bracket in the online parts listing for the front bumper components. However, there are two "dimples" in the black garnish in the center of the front bumper that appear to mark where the dealer should drill to mount the front license plate if needed. The problem I have with that, is that these dimples are not spaced correctly for U.S. plates. NIce!

The photos are in the following order:

Ford dimples and dealer drilled holes (note that the dimples are farther apart than the holes in a license plate).

Where my plate hangs with the original dealer holes.

Where my plate would hang according to the dimples (before I realized they were too far apart, and where the Escape I saw today had its plate hanging).

Universal license plate bracket from the local auto parts store.

Tapping threads in the garnish to use M6 bolts (sheet metal screws save you the price of a tap, but I already had the tap).

License bracket mounted to garnish with stainless steel bolts.

Plate and clear plate cover attached to bracket with stainless steel, hex-head sheet metal screws (yes I know ANY plate cover is illegal in Minnesota).

post-48280-0-53748700-1349132736_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-89871900-1349132747_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-18273700-1349132758_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-12185400-1349132770_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-50353900-1349132779_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-17970800-1349132788_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-91837400-1349132793_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-24268600-1349136415_thumb.jpg

Ha-ha. yeah, the dealer stuck their crappy free advertising on the front of mine. You can see it in this picture barely. At least they located it correctly. I just got my new front plate frame in today so I will have to post pics. my new rear frame hasn't come in yet. I have already taken a heat gun and removed their stupid vinyl advertising that was on the rear hatch.

I just got my plates today. I screwed the plate right into the plastic using the existing dimples. It didn't make me very happy but we have to run a front plate in Virginia. I'm going to fashion a proper plate mount in the very near future. And, as noted, Ford doesn't offer a factory front plate mount for the '13.

The other set of dimples are for European plates; they use the same bumper for the Kuga sold over there. There were actually two sets of dimples there. The dealer drilled the right ones. :)

I see by Google Images that the European plates have slots for mounting rather than round holes. However, I doubt that a wide plate like that will fit the front center piece on U.S. cars because of the "strakes" (for lack of a better word) outboard of the plates. Click on my last photo...there is no way a European plate will fit in that space.

I believe there are anchors behind the top holes your dealership drilled. When I added a chrome plate frame and stainless screws it felt like it was a good tight fit, more than just a 1/4" of plastic. I hope by just drilling and tapping the plastic, you haven't weakened it.

I thought long and hard about what I was doing. It sure didn't seem to me that there was anything other than the black garnish that the OE screws bit into. That's why I went with M6 bolts. If they do pull out (you would have to purposely be trying to tear the plate off with both hands), I can just go up a size in diameter with screws, SAE bolts, or M8 bolts. I really hated that cheap look of no bracket. I kind of like what they did in back with the large rubber bumpers at the bottom of the plate to keep the plate elevated off the paintwork.

I also have to figure out how to use the MultiQuote button properly.

I believe I'm going to go with something like what's pictured below. Mounting holes should line up with the dimples and the plate screws into the mount.

http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2011-2012-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Front-License-Plate-p/68102165aa.htm?gclid=CNi_kdun4rICFc2d4AodVh0AkA&utm_source=googleproducts&utm_medium=cpc_feed&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds

blcsS.png

The company is Custom Accessories Inc. Their website has a retailer locator: http://www.causa.com/

You find their stuff at most auto parts chains (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Advance Auto) and Wal-Mart (although they did not have this particular part, they carry other stuff from this company).

I'll warn you that the plate mounting holes in the bracket are off by about 1/8" (I don't remember if they are too close together or too far apart). The holes in the clear plastic cover (which is also by Custom Accessories) line up with the plate perfectly. The bracket is made in Viet Nam and the cover in China...someone's SAE/metric converter needs a little tweaking. I just finessed them a bit with my Dremel. The plastic it is made out of if fairly durable (bot brittle) and should last.

I see by Google Images that the European plates have slots for mounting rather than round holes. However, I doubt that a wide plate like that will fit the front center piece on U.S. cars because of the "strakes" (for lack of a better word) outboard of the plates. Click on my last photo...there is no way a European plate will fit in that space.

Hmm, might not have been for European. Shouldn't have been as specific I guess. I was just going from what I remembered while doing prep's on them, there is a SSM on them specifically saying to use the ones closer together.

Hmm, might not have been for European. Shouldn't have been as specific I guess. I was just going from what I remembered while doing prep's on them, there is a SSM on them specifically saying to use the ones closer together.

It remains a mystery. Maybe they altered the tooling for this piece for U.S. specifications, but overlooked removing the European dimples.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate having the front plate all beat to hell...bent from car washes, dented and nicked from flying road debris, etc. The plate just screwed to the bumper also looks cheap...like there is something missing. Just the way I am wired...and used to having things...cars had front license plate brackets for decades...the bracket was usually on the window sticker as a N/C line item. Some accountant found a way to save 5 cents worth of plastic. Hope he got a big bonus.

I hate having the front plate all beat to hell...bent from car washes, dented and nicked from flying road debris, etc. The plate just screwed to the bumper also looks cheap...like there is something missing. Just the way I am wired...and used to having things...cars had front license plate brackets for decades...the bracket was usually on the window sticker as a N/C line item. Some accountant found a way to save 5 cents worth of plastic. Hope he got a big bonus.

It was supposed to be included free in Canada, but was not. (the front hole spacing is wrong for B.C. plates.

Strangely enough the hole spacing on the back is correct for B.C. plates........so they do know.

I agree with pillbox. Poops, I mean pillboy(stupid iPad). I mean opps! not poops. Stupid iPad again!! I hate auto complete sometimes. Anyway, I saw on Kelly Blue book today something interesting when I was messing around with new car pricing. There was a line item for front license plate bracket. I think the Escape would look much nicer and more finished with a front license plate bracket that bumps out just a little and is molded like on my wife's Honda.