Ecoboost and Oil Changes

Escapism

You consider an engine that's been on the street for two years a long term test?

Umm, try again. 3.5EB was out for 2 years in the Taurus SHO first. Google the F150 Ecoboost test. They started with the engine on the dyno. They would do stints of WOT for something like 30 minutes. They basically put 100k miles worth of dyno testing before the engine was put in a truck. They ran the piss out of F150 doing logging drags, Towing 11k lbs for 24 hours, slap the engine into a Baja truck for some long rally. Basically put 350k miles on it in that time. When done, tore the engine down in front of the public. Outside of one cylinder being down on pressure, but still in spec, there was nothing wrong wiht the engine. Turbo didn't grenade or anything.

Yeah, but you underestimate what the automotive-ignorant, everyday user can manage to do to something mechanical. People can %$#@ up virtually anything regardless of what the designers/engineers try to anticipate.

No engine can be made bullet-proof if some idiot abuses it....and it won't be covered under warranty either if it can be proved by Ford.

You obviously have no faith in Ford's testing ability either...so whats the point?

You obviously have no faith in Ford's testing ability either...so whats the point?

I never said that. They do the best they can as far as thinking up scenarios under which to test product, but believe me, the average everyday Joe can find many ways to screw stuff up. I know...where I work our systems are supposed to be "foolproof" to eliminate errors, but the software engineers did not make it "idiotproof", and some of our in-house idiots have proven that to be true.

. 3.5EB was out for 2 years in the Taurus SHO

How long and how many motors were in the hands of the general public before VW/Audi found that the design was faulty and their recommendations of servicing due to the turbo were faulty? First used in 2001 and not until 2005 did they admit the issues were related to improper oil and change schedule.due to design limitations. I have no faith in the fact that these engines are testes that well until they are in service with the consumer for at least a few years.

As the 3.5 sales in the Taurus were only about 14 percent of sales, the test sample is low. Add to that the SHO is usually bought by those who look after their vehicles as enthusiasts. As the 3.5 is the standard in the new Police Interceptor, that will be the true test of hard use. Either way, you seem to think that the conversation is based on the fact that the engine is inferior which is totally incorrect. You may want to go back to the beginning where the subject is solely OIL CHANGES.

What the hell is going on here? pillboy, if you had doubts, why did you buy an EcoBoost turbo. Nearly everything you post is a negative rhetorical question or comment, what the hell.

:huh:

You're kidding, right?!?!?! The PillMan's posts are some of the most positive, helpful, and informative on this site!

if you had doubts, why did you buy an EcoBoost turbo

The discussion concerns the oil change intervals and not the quality of the system. As I originally stated, I still support increased oil changes to protect the turbo systems. Others are free to do whatever they wish.I don't believe his faith was lacking in the syste, nor should it be. It's not like turbo charging is a new concept. Simply a new catch phrase for the system.

I'm a new member so Hi all. I am the happy owner of a 2013 Deep Impact Blue Escape Titanium. Obviously we're all enthusiasts or we wouldn't be reading and posting. I've been maintaining my vehicles since 1970. Over that time I've read a lot, heard a lot and experienced a lot. A major German auto manufacturer who provides 5 years of maintenance as part of their program, changes all of the lubrication fluids (engine, transmission and differential) for their sport model line of vehicles at 1,200 miles in order to maintain the vehicle warranty. I know because I own one. There is also a real good mechanic who advises owners in the monthly brand magazine who has several decades of maintenance and repair experience. I've come to respect his advice and opinions mainly because he explains an issue so articulately To quickly condense what his views are on the oil change topic or any fluid for that matter it would be accurate to state that he believes manufacturers have been extending their maintenance times excessively as far as those owners who intend to keep their vehicles for the long haul because the manufacturer wants to bring down the advertised cost of ownership. He absolutely laughs at the lifetime fill claims or 100,000 mile schedule items such as coolant changes. The reason this manufacturer changes the three oils I referenced in the 4th sentence is to remove any free metal or other unwanted substance that typically occurs with the manufacturing and break-in process. This unwanted material is best removed to improve the longevity of the item in question.

Having said all that, I changed my 2.0 Escape EcoBoost motor oil and filter with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 Full Synthetic and a Motorcraft FL-910S at 1,136 miles. It was not too hard. Even though it looks like it might be a problem the underbody panel came off and went back on easily. The filter was right in sight and oriented in a vertical position. I drove the Escape up some Rhino Ramps from Walmart, got out a T30 Torx bit, a 7 mm socket and a 15 mm box end wrench and completed the oil change in about 45 minutes. I feel sorry for those DIY owners of a 1.6 liter EcoBoost engine because that oil filter looks to be a real bugger to replace. Here is a link to a poorly made video but it gives you an idea of what they are up against.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCg6qm_9Ro You can skip to the 5:15 minute mark and see what I'm talking about. I put in 5.7 quarts of oil and the next morning I checked the oil level again after a night of drain back and the level was exactly at the top of the crosshatch. I also reset the Oil Life Monitoring System according to the Owners Manual on page 224 which was a little weird for those Escape's with a Start button. It took me a few tries and the sounds of the engine cranking were awful. I sure hope I did it right and I believe I did because the messages were displayed as described. I think the cranking without starting behavior was a safety mechanism for the engine to determine whether or not the engine actually contained oil. If anybody knows please enlighten me.

Edited by ticobird