Radio problems with Escapes?

LB Escape

Anyone else have issues with the in-dash 6 CD changer in the Escape? My Escape is 18 months old, and I've had three radios so far.

Now they (the dealer) is complaining to me that they never checked my complaints, they simply replaced my radio (after holding the cars several days) as it's farmed out to a third party, and they found it cheaper to replace it rather then find the actual problem.

At six months, I noticed the radio would lose bass randomly, then it would come back quickly. Kinda like someone was playing with the bass level. They looked at it, the service writer heard it too. They kept the car for a few days as they were doing other maintenance work. Got the car back, only to still have the same problem. Took it right back, and was told the radio is back ordered because of this issue. Month later, I demanded they take a radio out of a back lot unit, as I drive this car on long trips for work. Which they did swap it out that night for one from a back lot car.

Six months later, the same problems develops again. Once more, they take the car, hold it for a few days, and then tell me the radio was from the same lot as the problem ones, so now it has a fresh radio, not part of the original lot, so I should not have anymore issues like this now.

Present day, it's now about six month past the last radio issue, and guess what? It's back. Now they refused to listen or fix it, saying I should just go purchase a better radio on my own, as I seem to have issues with the stock unit. WTF? I've had stock radios in all my other Ford (including my work van, which is 7 years old next month). Never in all my driving years have I had this issue, and can not belive this is going on, and that now the dealer is stating there never was any problems with the other units, they were just humoring me.

The Escape is a 2005, purchased 12/2004. I have 34,200 miles on it, so the warranty is going to expire at 36,000. Are they just screwing with me now until they run the clock out?

And two of their service writer have suggested that maybe there are electrical problems starting to develop, and maybe I should invest in a the ESP, since I didn't buy one when I bought the car.

I never purchase the ESP because the Ford's have been great cars for me, up until now.

I may just go buy my first foreign car....

I guess Ford doesn't need to keep loyal customers coming back?

Edited by LB Escape

I have the 6-disc in-dash changer in my Explorer. I had it switched out 5 times. The sixth radio was the charm, I guess.

I would insist the dealer either switch the radio out, or ask to talk to a factory representative. Hopefully, you have saved all the documentation the dealer gave you. Maybe even talk to a lemon law attorney.

It's going to my lawyer and the state BAR next. I simply can not belive this is happening...over a radio.

The outcome of this whole event will by the deciding factor in the next purchase of any car/truck.

And my work van will be getting replaced this year - and I hate the thought of buying anything other than a Ford, but I will.

I have the 6-disc in-dash changer in my Explorer. I had it switched out 5 times. The sixth radio was the charm, I guess.

I would insist the dealer either switch the radio out, or ask to talk to a factory representative. Hopefully, you have saved all the documentation the dealer gave you. Maybe even talk to a lemon law attorney.

Was it the same problem I have or different? Each time the same issue?

• 1 month later...

Wonder if they changed suppliers? I have a 2003 Ranger with the 6-disc changer, premium sound system. The little guy has nearly 30,000 rough miles on it as we live on a steep dirt road in the mountains at high elevation. Have yet to have one problem with the unit and I also take it on long trips a couple of times a year, often driving 700 miles in a day. It has never overheated or done anything but deliver really good sound.

Kind of wonder if there was a change somewhere along the line. Anyway, Ford did put a good one in my truck.

when you say it loses bass, do you have the subwoofer in the passenger's rear? IF so, have the ground above the woofer/amplifier checked. I have seen several loose. Sounds EXACTLY like the couple I have seen... even if it doesn't have the woofer, they should check the grounds anyhow.