Some Initial 2013 Impressions (good, bad, and debatable)

pillboy

The 2.0 EcoBoost's oil drain plug has a rubber gasket embedded in the plug - no crush washer. A few minutes of Googling turned up little info, but the 2.0 in the 2005 Focus calls for 21 ft lb according to ALLDATA per a post in a forum. I have never stripped out oil pan threads, but I can understand the concern over this as the plug threads on my last Ford did look a little deformed to the naked eye after a few years. Logic would dictate that an auto manufacturer would use a softer metal for the drain plug than for the pan fitting it screws into. Do alloy oil pans have the threads cut into the pan material itself, or is there a threaded steel insert mounted in the pan where the plug fits into?

The FL-910S Motorcraft oil filter (I do plan on using OEM filters rather than aftermarket) has no info on the filter itself, but the pictogram instructions on the box shows an additional 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket contacts the mounting base (a very common specification). I usually make a mark with a Sharpie on the filter when it contacts the mounting surface. This then gives me a reference point for the additional tightening (the OEM Subaru filters I am accustomed to have 1/8th turn markings printed on the filter itself - something that all manufacturers should do).

Thanks. I had read 18-19 ft-lbs for the plug in earlier Escapes. I really didn't want to debate the benefits of using a proper torque spec on the oil drain plug and filter. Other manufacturers do, indeed, list torque specs for both, and I would hope that, somewhere, in a Ford Escape service manual (hopefully for a 2013), the torque specs are listed and was hoping someone had this info at hand.

To Pillboy:

Excellent job. Many of your items are on my list as well. I'd like to add another.

Inside the center console well is a 12v (Lighter type) outlet. It is the only one in the vehicle that is NOT covered. Since it faces up, it would be easy to accidently drop something metal (Keys, a pen or a small tool) right into it. It is also hot all the time, even when the ignition is off. I've taken a 3/4" soft plastic tubing cap and it fits in well, but really Ford?

As far as the lights coming on every time you open the doors.......there are so many ways to program different aspects of the Escape, why not a "basic" setting for the lights that just turns on the interiors......like the "old days"?

Something also starts "humming" under the hood everytime I open the front door. Since the fuel pump is in the trunk I'm assuming it has something to do with emmisions although I have not researched it yet. It just bothers me that it runs even when I do not intend to drive.

Finally (for now). Where did the door lock buttons get to???

Inside the center console well is a 12v (Lighter type) outlet. It is the only one in the vehicle that is NOT covered. Since it faces up, it would be easy to accidently drop something metal (Keys, a pen or a small tool) right into it. It is also hot all the time, even when the ignition is off. I've taken a 3/4" soft plastic tubing cap and it fits in well, but really Ford?

Hmmm that's strange. Are you sure it isn't supposed to have one? The 12V in the console on my Edge has a cover.

To Pillboy:

Excellent job. Many of your items are on my list as well. I'd like to add another.

As far as the lights coming on every time you open the doors.......there are so many ways to program different aspects of the Escape, why not a "basic" setting for the lights that just turns on the interiors......like the "old days"?

Something also starts "humming" under the hood everytime I open the front door. Since the fuel pump is in the trunk I'm assuming it has something to do with emmisions although I have not researched it yet. It just bothers me that it runs even when I do not intend to drive.

Finally (for now). Where did the door lock buttons get to???

My 12V in the console has a cover.

macts473- I suspect the cover to your console 12V socket is open all the way. When this hinged cover is flipped open, the cover lies against the side of the console by the driver and it is almost invisible when you peer down into the console. If it truly isn't there, I have to believe it is broken off.

I guess the main reason I prefer not to have the car light up like Tokyo when you open a door, is that I hate to replace all of these hard to get at light bulbs when they eventually burn out years from now, and less "on" time means they last longer. I also have to believe it is easier on the LCD screens if they cycle on and off less often - maybe I'm wrong, and I believe there will be an electrical engineer out there who will tell me just how unfounded my concerns are - I hope so, anyway. I'm not sure why I need the taillights to light up if I am looking for something in the glove box (and I'm not even sure if the ill-formed glove box even has a light in it now that I think about it).

I have yet to hear anything when I open a door, but maybe macts473 is hearing an electrical relay that provides power to some of the "light show".

There is a new version of MFT out for all of the vehicles EXCEPT the Focus and Escape due to a different climate control module. Should be out for Focus and Escape soon and this is one of the things it's supposed to fix.

Thanks for the info......I hope that will fix the issue because so far I am loving my Escape!

Is there anyway you can have the artist and title of a song showing on the home screen of my ford touch? I swear it showed up one day and now all I get is the presets showing and the station you are listening too. Really don't want to have to leave the entertainment screen open all the time just to see the title and artist. Any suggestions?

Is there anyway you can have the artist and title of a song showing on the home screen of my ford touch? I swear it showed up one day and now all I get is the presets showing and the station you are listening too. Really don't want to have to leave the entertainment screen open all the time just to see the title and artist. Any suggestions?

It comes up when you're listening to something off the USB, but I haven't been able to get it from FM or Sirius.

Any body guys out there? I am wondering what is up with the current "hot" styling cue of having black plastic around the wheel openings. Virtually all current small SUVs are styled this way. I suspect there is a reason, such as it being less expensive to build, easier to fix after a collision, or it hides (longer time until it creeps out from under the plastic) the inevitable rust that forms at the rear wheel opening where the outer quarter skin and inner fender are welded together at the lip. I hate the textured black plastic. I do like having plastic cladding on the rockers and lower door skins, but I would rather have smooth, body-color pieces.

I hear a VERY soft and brief beeping sound, but not every time I open the door.

To: RK2112, Pillboy and NickF1011:

Thanks to all of you. Went back to the dealer and you were absolutely right! There should have been a cover and it must have been broken off. The dealer was great. In half an hour took a socket from a salesman's Escape on the lot and installed it in mine. Said he would order one for the demo so I didn't need to wait.

Thanks again RK, pb & NF.

Mike S.

• Like 1

Any body guys out there? I am wondering what is up with the current "hot" styling cue of having black plastic around the wheel openings. Virtually all current small SUVs are styled this way. I suspect there is a reason, such as it being less expensive to build, easier to fix after a collision, or it hides (longer time until it creeps out from under the plastic) the inevitable rust that forms at the rear wheel opening where the outer quarter skin and inner fender are welded together at the lip. I hate the textured black plastic. I do like having plastic cladding on the rockers and lower door skins, but I would rather have smooth, body-color pieces.

Plastic trim won't chip from gravel. I suppose its intention is to give the impression that they are designed for rough roads. :shrug:

To Sassy7 and Pillboy:

The sound is just like the soft buzz of a fuel pump, comes on EVERY time I open the driver's door and continues for about 2 minutes even if I just open and close the door quickly to get something and well past when the lights go out. It is difficult to locate, sounds like it is comming from under the hood but it could also be coming from the chassis area beneath the front seats. With a mid-mounted fuel tank it might actually BE the fuel pump (If it sounds like a duck........etc.) but I'm wondering why it comes when I open the door without even putting the key in the ignition. Could be you don't hear the same on yours because mine is a 2.5 S.

To Sassy7 and Pillboy:

The sound is just like the soft buzz of a fuel pump, comes on EVERY time I open the driver's door and continues for about 2 minutes even if I just open and close the door quickly to get something and well past when the lights go out. It is difficult to locate, sounds like it is comming from under the hood but it could also be coming from the chassis area beneath the front seats. With a mid-mounted fuel tank it might actually BE the fuel pump (If it sounds like a duck........etc.) but I'm wondering why it comes when I open the door without even putting the key in the ignition. Could be you don't hear the same on yours because mine is a 2.5 S.

Usually fuel pumps run for just a few seconds to build pressure once the key first hits the "on" position. Two minutes is a long time. One of my coworkers has an S...I'll ask her if she hears anything. I'll bet that there is a logical answer for it.

Have about 1K on my 2013 so far.

Pros:

It is very enjoyable to drive. Comfortable, quiet, the 2.0 provides plenty of power, and it looks great.

Cons:

MFT gets screwy at times - argues with me about USB devices, is not able to play music on the USB, does not always retain the last used audio source (goes from Radio to USB) between ignition on/off cycles,

Battery completely died the other day. Dealer replaced it. The one touch up and down on the windows stopped working after the battery service. Not sure if they are related but it will require another trip to the dealer to get it fixed.

Lights up like Times Square when you open a door. The main problem I have with this has to do with night vision. You walk across a dark parking lot and you loose your night vision as soon as you open the door. I don't have a suggested solution so it is just a gripe at this point.

Battery completely died the other day. Dealer replaced it. The one touch up and down on the windows stopped working after the battery service. Not sure if they are related but it will require another trip to the dealer to get it fixed.

When the battery is disconnected the express up/down power windows need to be reset

Instructions (saves a trip to the dealership)

1. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed, then release

the switch.

2. Lift the switch again for one more second.

3. Press and hold the switch until the window is fully open, then release

the switch.

4. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed.

5. Open the window and try to close it automatically.

6. Reset and repeat procedure if the window does not close

automatically.

When the battery is disconnected the express up/down power windows need to be reset

the switch.

the switch.

automatically.

Do we assume this has to be done for each window individually? Or does doing it for the driver's window (or any of the other windows for that matter) reprogram the function for all the windows?

Also shame on the dealer for not being aware of this when they replaced the battery.

the switch.

the switch.

automatically.

That corrected the issue.

Thanks!

Driving on the Penn Turnpike this morniing I opened the rear windows. The air created a vibration in the rear of the Escape that vibrated making my inner ear tickle. I shut the windows and the noise stopped.

I was going around 65 MPH when I pened the rear windows. Let me know if anyone else has this problem.