Transmission oil change

ilmo

My wife's 2009 Flex is approaching 60K.

Is any one changing the transmission oil at 60K? Or waiting later as the scheduled mtce. recommends?

Thanks.

Lots of folks change at 30K or 60K rather than wait until 150K. A long time internet buddy used to be a Ford transmission engineer (he worked on the 5R55 and the torqshift truck tranny) and he changes his every 30K just to be safe.

30K seems to soon unless you're towing or driving in extreme heat. 60K seems to be a good compromise to me and it's probably what I will do with mine.

Edit: make sure you get it done at a Ford/Lincoln dealer where they use a machine to swap it out using the cooler lines. That gets 95% of the old fluid out and is much better than just dropping the pan.

Edited by akirby

• 1 month later...

I forgot after checking my records that I had the trans. oil changed at 30K. Don't know if I should do it again at 60K. I have on past vehicles, but don't really know if is necessary. Maybe I could wait until 90K.

I do mine at 35,000 miles, and on my Ford it had trouble going into OD at about 35,000 miles. Trans flush at Ford dealer had it shifting smoothly into OD again when it should. If you go too long as in 90,000 miles or so, many will tell you to forget trans flush as it can do more harm than good. I would say 60K is better than never though.

If you are going to change the ATF, either take it to the dealer or do it yourself and you the CORRECT Motorcraft fluid. There are MANY different fluids so make sure you get the correct one !!

I follow the Owners Manual recommendations, but most important is using the correct, genuine Motorcraft transmission fluid.

• Like 1