2013 navagation

haywire52

I dont know the answers to your question but I thought it was a bit too expensive.I figured I could buy one for $100 with liftime maps and just leave it in the center console for the rare occasion I wish I had it. But for someone who would use it all of the time or wants the convinience of not fussing with wires, probably worth it.... to each their own.

I have the factory nav and it actually performs quite well in regards to reponse time and the like. I have read that the earlier software versions did have an issue with that however... Having full integration with Touch and Sync was worth it in our opinion. It does have some GPS issues but hopefully they will get that taken care of in a software update soon!

Edited by mogur

I've heard the factory nav works mostly ok, but sometimes has slow cold start location issues. I've ordered it anyway, 'cause I hate hanging wires. Will know how it works for sure in a couple of weeks...

The application and maps are provided by Garmin/Navteq, so it should be good.

I've heard the factory nav works mostly ok, but sometimes has slow cold start location issues. I've ordered it anyway, 'cause I hate hanging wires. Will know how it works for sure in a couple of weeks...

I ordered for the same reason. My father has the latest update in his 2011 Edge and it seems to work fine, but still does have some minor glitch issues every once in a while.

The $700 (at least in the states) buys more than just navigation... It has been the subject of much discussion and it is equally loved and loathed, so that might be either a plus or negative, depending on your perspective. We thought it worth it and and ordered it on ours.

Going to order a escape sel this week and was wondering how well tha nav system works. Also who supplies the maps. 700 dollar in Canada. Don't want to waste my money. any information you could give me would be very helpful.

Edited by mogur

The $700 (at least in the states) buys more than just navigation... You also get the 8" color touch display screen and the MyFordTouch system with its integration and additonal features. MFT has been the subject of much discussion and it is eqaully loved and loathed, so that might be either a plus or negative, depending on your perspective. We thought it worth it and and ordered it on ours.

You have to get MyFordTouch first then it's $795 EXTRA just for the Navigation software and maps.

Sorry, I should have been more clear: Navigation and the other features it brings (Traffic,Travel Link, etc.) is an upgrade to the standard MFT system on the Titanium we bought. We paid dealer cost for it ($694).

You have to get MyFordTouch first then it's $795 EXTRA just for the Navigation software and maps.

Yep, we have seen the loss of GPS lock and/or location on ours a number of times now, for as long as 45 minutes on one occasion. It appears to be yet another MFT bug... I draw solence from the fact that it has also happened to at least two automotive journalists during their review drives of the vehicle, and they have reported the fact in their reviews! This is my fourth OEM nav system and I have never had one with this issue before... Ford really needs to get a handle on these issues soon, before they completely destroy what is left of their scores!

Edited by mogur

On all the other cars I have owned that had display screens, there was always a combination of button presses that would get you in to the diagnostics screens which contain a plethora of data and information. For example, on my Leaf, it is radio once, map three times, radio twice and on my MDX it was Nav once, Menu twice, map twice. Anyone know what it is on the MFT systems?

Someone sent me the answer to my query so I thought I'd share it here:

- Make sure there is no CD in the system

- Set MFT to AM/FM

- Press and hold the eject button and...

- Immediately after, press and hold the right arrow on the center wheel while still holding the eject button

- Hold both buttons pressed for about 12 seconds

- Screen goes black and MFT enters diagnostics mode The system defaults to a speaker tone test which starts immediately. You can cancel it on the screen. This prodecure pertains only to the Sony System.

On all the other cars I have owned that had display screens, there was always a combination of button presses that would get you in to the diagnostics screens which contain a plethora of data and information. Anyone know what it is on the 2013 Escape MFT system?

Assuming the 2013 diagnostics page is similar to older versions, there will be a GPS Info tab on that page. If you hit that tab before you pull out of the garage and then just sit in place for a moment to wait for the GPS to lock on to the satellites, in about a minute, certainly less than two, you should have a 3D solution showing and four or more satellites.

Just one comment about the number of satellites shown by a GPS system... To obtain a 3D fix only requires three satellites (assuming good geometry). The number of satellites necessary to obtain a high accuracy fix is five; accuracy is little improved by more than that number. The advantage of tracking more than five is that as one or two is occasinally lost due to obstructions or the satellite passing over the horizon, you still maintain the minimum number needed. GPS units that advertise 12 or 24 channel receivers are simply marketing tools as it means nothing in the real world and, in fact, rarely will more than about ten sattelites ever be in view anyway.

For a precision approach in an aircraft, one needs five satellites, RAIM, and WAAS...

I always remember reading that 3 were required for a 2D solution, 4 for a 3D solution, and, for instrument approaches in aircraft requiring RAIM ( Remote Autonomous Integrity Monitoring ) , one needed 5..

Edited by mogur