2013 Escape Accessories/Mods

transitman

I was washing the car today and one of the under hood rubber stops came out, fell into the engine compartment and was lost to the great unknown. I went to fordparts.com to order some (they come in packs of 4), to also order tubes of touch up paint and clear coat, and I couldn't help myself, I ordered a set of molded splash guards. They were $37.49 for each set. I was going to wait until someone posted some pics, but thought what the heck. I've always had splash guards on my cars, mostly to protect the lower paint area, but I also like the look. Because it's plastic, I don't think the lower area really needs protection, so I guess they're for looks. I'll post pics when installed.

Regarding my cargo cover, even though the eBay seller claimed to have it in stock, I got an e-mail from them stating they were unable to get the part from the supplier and it may be another 2 weeks until they ship my part. What the hell's up with that? I though when you posted on your eBay page you had the item in stock, that meant what it implies. I'm giving them until 8/31 and then cancelling the order. I've been getting requests to give feedback, I'll wait until then.

Update on the rubber stop. It fell out this morning on a surface street and I was able to turn around and pick it up, luckily I had just exited the freeway. I'm still going to get a pack of four replacements, I have a feeling this is going to happen again.

Edited by transitman

Hey Transit, thanx for the update.I've been waiting to see how you like your OEM cargo cover before I ordered from husky.

I have the OEM cargo cover in mine since I ordered it on the window sticker, and I like it for the light duty I will use it for. It's size covers the rear of the vehicle perfectly, and it has the "Escape" logo molded into it. If you want something thicker and heavy duty with taller edges to hold more water, you will want to go with the husky. The OEM one is thin flexible plastic with smallish grooves in it.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Transit - did your cargo mat come yet? I feel partially responsible since I posted that eBay link for you. I know Ford's supplier has them available since our car came with one.

I'm happy with the OEM cargo mat. I suspect it will hold at least a gallon of liquid, but would keep it contained only if the vehicle was stationary.

The window shade cargo cover is another matter. Personally I hate them as they seem to always be in the way. The deep tint glass is dark enough to obscure most items in the cargo area anyway. The clearances are so tight on our car that using the cover WILL end up scratching up the cargo area side panels when you go to hook and unhook it from the molded in slots at the very rear that secure the cover when it is extended.

What is everyone using to hold grocery bags upright in the cargo hold? I miss not having a net at the rear like our other cars have had. I'm not a big fan of the collapsible nylon boxes that a lot of manufacturers (like Ford) sell, but that might be the best option.

Edited by pillboy

Transit - did your cargo mat come yet? I feel partially responsible since I posted that eBay link for you. I know Ford's supplier has them available since our car came with one.

I'm happy with the OEM cargo mat. I suspect it will hold at least a gallon of liquid, but would keep it contained only if the vehicle was stationary.

The window shade cargo cover is another matter. Personally I hate them as they seem to always be in the way. The deep tint glass is dark enough to obscure most items in the cargo area anyway. The clearances are so tight on our car that using the cover WILL end up scratching up the cargo area side panels when you go to hook and unhook it from the molded in slots at the very rear that secure the cover when it is extended.

What is everyone using to hold grocery bags upright in the cargo hold? I miss not having a net at the rear like our other cars have had. I'm not a big fan of the collapsible nylon boxes that a lot of manufacturers (like Ford) sell, but that might be the best option.

I got an e-mail this morning that the item was shipped today. Don't worry about steering me wrong, I picked up splash guards Wednesday and the parts dept. said it still wasn't available. I'm going to install the guards this weekend and will post pics.

I removed the cargo shade to facilitate taller items. It's easy to remove, just push it to the left or right and pull it out of the slot.

When I got home today from work I replaced the "carpet" mats with the all weather mats...the word carpet should not be associated with those mats in any way. I might just toss them rather than save them. Ridiculous. The Escape will not be leaving the garage until Tuesday for it's "clear bra" appointment...don't want any stone chips in the hood.

When I got home today from work I replaced the "carpet" mats with the all weather mats...the word carpet should not be associated with those mats in any way. I might just toss them rather than save them. Ridiculous. The Escape will not be leaving the garage until Tuesday for it's "clear bra" appointment...don't want any stone chips in the hood.

Agreed. I had some dried up grass on mine and went to give them a shake,Holy cow they are the lightest cheapest feeling mats I've ever felt.I will be replacing them with husky liners soon.

Update on the rubber stop. It fell out this morning on a surface street and I was able to turn around and pick it up, luckily I had just exited the freeway. I'm still going to get a pack of four replacements, I have a feeling this is going to happen again.

How in the %$#@ did you know that happened?

Plus I am very unhappy with the minimal coverage of the driver's all weather mat. A note telling us to put our feet out the window would provide just as much protection for the carpet. I guess we have all the idiots that get their floor mats wadded up under their brake pedal and then claim they can't stop their car to thank for this. I recommend the OEM all weather mats to no one. The one saving grace is the anchoring system - good job on that design Ford. That does work nice (at least when new). Anyone know if WeatherTech or Husky untilize the OEM anchors?

Plus I am very unhappy with the minimal coverage of the driver's all weather mat. A note telling us to put our feet out the window would provide just as much protection for the carpet. I guess we have all the idiots that get their floor mats wadded up under their brake pedal and then claim they can't stop their car to thank for this. I recommend the OEM all weather mats to no one. The one saving grace is the anchoring system - good job on that design Ford. That does work nice (at least when new). Anyone know if WeatherTech or Husky untilize the OEM anchors?

Agreed on how pitifully short the all-weather driver's mat is. I like the others though and I definitely like the anchoring. As an aside, I also wish there was some protection on the upper left side to rest my foot. I'm thinking of attaching something there to protect the carpet.

• Like 1

As an aside, I also wish there was some protection on the upper left side to rest my foot. I'm thinking of attaching something there to protect the carpet.

There are a TON of dead pedals on eBay. I was waiting for our Escape to get here so I could measure and see what I need. It shouldn't be too hard to get it anchored securely to the carpet.

Let me try this again, now that I have a little more patience.

You will need a pry tool, 7mm box end and/or 7mm 1/4" drive socket. On the fronts, pull out only the plugs, not the anchors. When installing the plugs, line the plugs up so the flat square side matches the same on the anchors. They may seem loose when you push them back in, but mine seem to be holding fine. The front lowest and under body plugs are a little harder to remove. I used a small 4" pry bar, worked it all the way around until I could grab it with my fingers and used the pry tool and my fingers to pull it out the rest of the way. I had some stress marks on one, so be careful with those. The rears are the easiest I've ever seen, if you can get your hand and fingers in there, you don't have to remove the tire. A 7mm box end or socket, remove the screws, install and push the small clip on the tab under the car. Easy breazy.

post-36355-0-39379100-1346016066_thumb.jpg post-36355-0-33172100-1346016067_thumb.jpg

post-36355-0-25527200-1346016068_thumb.jpg post-36355-0-19421300-1346016069_thumb.jpg

post-36355-0-21256600-1346016070_thumb.jpg post-36355-0-23321500-1346016071_thumb.jpg

Edited by transitman
  • Like 2

Oh, yeah I took my cross bars of my roof rack a few days ago also. Not much change in wind noise, but I figured it would help a small percent on the gas mileage, plus I think it looks sleaker withough them.

I looked for the silver caps that cover the open thread grommets on the side bars, but they don't list a seperate part number in the system.

Might just by some caps and make them silver myself.

6M X 15mm with a 1.0 pitch. I'm going to use some white nylon bolts if I can find them (some listed on eBay) or stainless steel. And stainless steel screws for the license plates...look at all the rusty streaks on rear plates you see while sitting in traffic.

I contacted the company that makes the Rear Gear and they said they would go to a dealer to take measurements of the 2013 and create the cover, but I would have to pre-order it first. I'm not too keen on being the very first to order this product from them.

If anyone gets a full frontal "clear bra" installed, you can thank my wife for leaving our (her) Escape overnight at the shop which is also a regional training center for 3M paint protection film installers. The owner was very interested in getting a new Escape in the shop as they needed to tweak their computer patterns to make the hood and fender pieces cover more area. These patterns are downloaded by film installers who use an X-Y plotter to cut the film sheet before it is applied to the vehicle. I was determined to have some film thrown on the hood, mirrors and the door handle "scoops" and call it a day. We will now have film also applied to the whole front bumper and the leading edges of the front fenders. Lotsa $$, but I learned a lot from talking to the owner about the proper care and feeding of this material. They install film for a lot of high end car dealers in our metro area, so I am expecting nothing less than perfection. If I am thrilled, I will give proper credit.

Edited by pillboy

Got the car back from the installer and the job was superb. These guys did the work: https://skipchips.com/chip_repair

I was told there are still paint protection film installers that cut the film while it is on the car. That is what was done to my Legacy back in 2006 and is now a disaster I am currently dealing with. If anyone is thinking about getting this material applied to their car, make sure and ask questions as to the procedure being used by the installer.

I also ordered some of this stuff ( http://www.xpel.com/diy_paint_protection/black_doorsill_guards/ ) to apply to the naked door sills. A necessity if your girl (or you for that matter) wears hooker heels or tap shoes...both will make a mess out of the painted sills.