Next-Gen Edge/MKX

And it better not lose any of the functionality of the cargo area. The Evoque looks absolutely ridiculous from behind.

I'd be shocked if Edge/MKX moved away from the current proportions... they have Escape/MKEscape filling the space below and Explorer/Aviator filling above.

In fact, I hope MKX continues to serve as a "traditional" 5-seat luxo crossover, allowing the MKEscape to be a true sporting proposition: ST's poweplant, Lincoln Drive control, and a 2+2 seating option? Sign. Me. Up.

And it better not lose any of the functionality of the cargo area. The Evoque looks absolutely ridiculous from behind.

LOL.. saw one today on the road.. the back is awful...

This was seriously on my list to replace my edge until I saw it in person...

I love the lines.. and that it came in a coupe version... then I kept hearing that the new remodeled Edge might be smaller...

The Q5 was on my list too..

Alas, I have A Plan pricing.. and once I saw the SEL appearance pkg, it was enough to make my mind up...

Some here keep banging on about C-Max being unsuitable because it's a seven seater but forget the thrid row fold flat. I think Ford is emboldened

by the success of the C1 Escape and will test the opinion that Edge should keep it current proportions, it could be that they see the Euro S-max as

being able to draw more potential Fusion station wagon and mini van buyers into the Edge foldin an attempt to increase sales to huge numbers

and really put some distance on the competition, we don't know for sure..

And where would a move like that leave Lincoln, we already know that the commitment of 2014 Edge/MKX began before Ford's decision to hire Wolff

andgive Lincoln unique top hats, so I can see why some would be extremely concerned about this duo and what Ford intends, if they are different to

the current vehicles, I hope it's different in a way that brings in more sales.

I'd be shocked if Edge/MKX moved away from the current proportions... they have Escape/MKEscape filling the space below and Explorer/Aviator filling above.

In fact, I hope MKX continues to serve as a "traditional" 5-seat luxo crossover, allowing the MKEscape to be a true sporting proposition: ST's poweplant, Lincoln Drive control, and a 2+2 seating option? Sign. Me. Up.

I'm still lobbying for "MKuGa"

&

ST's powerplant: want Nano 2.7v6EB!

Lincoln Drive control: STD!!!

a 2+2 seating option?: don't think so

CD4 is not just one platform, it's a whole raft of collaborative engineering modules being brought together to develop

an array of vehicles with vastly different attributes, making it flexible enough to allow a lot of regionalization.

So if the US needs vehicles that are strategically important with certain attributes, then those attributes will

be added to CD4 and the vehicles developed.the same applies for vehicles needed in Europe and ROW.

Edited by jpd80

I'm sure this will inspire the next MKX.

I hope not. I don't like Ford copying designs that are already out there.

All I would like to see is a decently styled Edge that is something more than a porky Escape. Something to compete with the phenomenal Jeep Grand Cherokee. A decent mid-sized SUV with a tow rating that's around 5k pounds.

Believe it or not, there are people out there that tow and do not have far too many kids to justify a seven seat SUV. A simple 5-seat SUV with a decent tow rating...what a concept. I'll be the first to buy.

Something to compete with the phenomenal Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The Market that the Edge and Jeep Grand Cherokee compete in are completely different. the GC is an Unibody SUV that can do serious off roading. The Edge is a sporty softroader CUV that just needs to make it through snow and crappy weather.

I hope not. I don't like Ford copying designs that are already out there.

All I would like to see is a decently styled Edge that is something more than a porky Escape. Something to compete with the phenomenal Jeep Grand Cherokee. A decent mid-sized SUV with a tow rating that's around 5k pounds.

Believe it or not, there are people out there that tow and do not have far too many kids to justify a seven seat SUV. A simple 5-seat SUV with a decent tow rating...what a concept. I'll be the first to buy.

I know many Ford Employees that have boats that weight 3500/4000lbs and are stuck with nothing from Ford to buy to tow them, they don't want F-150's or even an Explorer as they are to big. The Grand Cherokee is a great product -- and the 2014 should keep that up with the 8-speed trans and new Diesel. One really nice thing with the Grand Cherokee is that the Glass and the hatch open separate.

• Like 1

I know many Ford Employees that have boats that weight 3500/4000lbs and are stuck with nothing from Ford to buy to tow them, they don't want F-150's or even an Explorer as they are to big. The Grand Cherokee is a great product -- and the 2014 should keep that up with the 8-speed trans and new Diesel. One really nice thing with the Grand Cherokee is that the Glass and the hatch open separate.

Is an Explorer that much bigger than a Grand Cherokee?

The Market that the Edge and Jeep Grand Cherokee compete in are completely different. the GC is an Unibody SUV that can do serious off roading. The Edge is a sporty softroader CUV that just needs to make it through snow and crappy weather.

I actually think Edge and GC customers are very similar, regardless of who is the better off-roader.

The Edge is more in line with the Dodge Journey. The Grand Cherokee still feels more like a conventional truck-based SUV even with the unibody design, whereas the Journey has the crossover feel of the Edge. I was surprised when test driving all three how different the Grand Cherokee felt even though they all shared similar dimensions and design characteristics.

The Edge is more in line with the Dodge Journey. The Grand Cherokee still feels more like a conventional truck-based SUV even with the unibody design, whereas the Journey has the crossover feel of the Edge. I was surprised when test driving all three how different the Grand Cherokee felt even though they all shared similar dimensions and design characteristics.

Journey is an odd little bugger. Seems far more minivan-ish to me than the Edge.

The Journey is a budget 7-seater family hauler, the Edge and GC are premium 5-seaters. That makes for very different customers. Not to mention GC and Edge share similar pricing and features. Even car magazines have compared them side-by-side. Admitedly it's far from a perfect match, but as a customer I perceive them as similar products regardless of what underpins them, to me they are both 'personal luxury' 4x4 SUVs.

Edited by BORG

The unidentified mules we have seen running around are not Edge mules, unless the Edge is going C2 and getting significantly lower, longer, and narrower and being renamed Galaxy

https://rumors.autom...ica-156763.html

The last time photo of this mule popped up, we speculated that it is a Transit Connect mule. The general dimension and extended wheelbase match so does the C2 platform (and persumbly drivetrain).

Alright since we were talking about the Evoque and an MK"G" (Escape-sized Lincoln offering), I figured I'd sketch one up to maybe give us an idea at what it could look like.

I took most of the styling cues from the new MKZ, and really we don't know if it'll look like this or something else, but this gives us something to look at anyway.

It was somewhat hard trying to figure out quite what to do with the liftgate/rear end design to get it to look decent - I tried a few different things but this seemed to work/look best - thoughts/opinions are always appreciated! Enjoy!

mkg3.jpg

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Alright since we were talking about the Evoque and an MK"G" (Escape-sized Lincoln offering), I figured I'd sketch one up to maybe give us an idea at what it could look like.

I took most of the styling cues from the new MKZ, and really we don't know if it'll look like this or something else, but this gives us something to look at anyway.

It was somewhat hard trying to figure out quite what to do with the liftgate/rear end design to get it to look decent - I tried a few different things but this seemed to work/look best - thoughts/opinions are always appreciated! Enjoy!

mkg3.jpg

I like your rendering...

mkg3.jpg

nice to see a sketch of yours again, Rmc 2ic5rw7.jpg

ps

now try one 2 generations into the future ;)