Next-Gen Edge/MKX

They can share tophats, there isn't a rule that says the next edge cannot have a 3rd row. If anything it would allow the edge to standout more from the escape.

the edge is NOT a SUV it is a CUV, deal with it.

It doesn't matter, one has more SUV-like characteristics than the other (taller ride height, greater ground clearance, shorter overhangs)

And if the Edge becomes a 3-row Crossover, it completely changes the target customer and the design of the vehicle. It's the difference between a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Dodge Durango. It would make NO sense.

Edited by BORG

They can share tophats, there isn't a rule that says the next edge cannot have a 3rd row. If anything it would allow the edge to standout more from the escape.

Based on my dealings with my Edge, I find that it would be pretty difficult to pull off a 3rd row without significantly changing the character of the vehicle somehow -- either lowering the floor, lengthening the wheelbase, etc. I suspect that something that seems "just right" about it to so many buyers now might get thrown off kilter somehow. Ford should consider that decision carefully.

It doesn't matter, one has more SUV-like characteristics than the other (taller ride height, greater ground clearance, shorter overhangs)

And if the Edge becomes a 3-row Crossover, it completely changes the target customer and the design of the vehicle. It's the difference between a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Dodge Durango. It would make NO sense.

The Edge's platform has the capability to have a 3rd row now, in the CX-9. This hasn't chage the Edge's placement or mission at all. Perhaps one could be optional in the next gen?

The new Hyundai Santa Fe duo is probably a good example what should happen. The Edge and Explorer should be on the same platform, but Ford isn't in that position right now and won't be for a few more years. So either the new Edge is a leading indicator of exactly what's happening in their upper CUV space, or they will update the Edge/MKX to hold it over until they get that sorted with the next platform underpinning Taurus/MKS/Edge/Explorer/MKE/Flex, etc....

Edited by BORG

The Edge's platform has the capability to have a 3rd row now, in the CX-9. This hasn't chage the Edge's placement or mission at all. Perhaps one could be optional in the next gen?

I've been in a CX-9. The character is entirely different than the Edge. That's what would worry me.

The CX7 and CX9 are different cars, different customers. The seats are not secondary and optional considerations like jumper seats in wagons, they inform the car design significantly. Do you think Jeep can toss extra seats in the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the next-gen and not change it's customer?

Edited by BORG

Do you think Jeep can toss extra seats in the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the next-gen and not change it's customer?

Well, they kind of are... Durango is getting the axe in favor of a Grand Cherokee Wagoneer with, gasp!, three rows of seats.

What are we arguing about here? The next Edge sharing a platform with a 3 row vehicle, or the next Edge having 3 rows?

Well, they kind of are... Durango is getting the axe in favor of a Grand Cherokee Wagoneer with, gasp!, three rows of seats.

What are we arguing about here? The next Edge sharing a platform with a 3 row vehicle, or the next Edge having 3 rows?

All I'm arguing is that Ford ought to be careful when considering the design for the next gen Edge if they intend to offer a 3rd row in it. Not saying it can't be done, but it needs to be executed properly.

There is no 'kind of' there, the Wagoneer is a different vehicle than the Grand Cherokee. Different vehicle, different customer.

We are arguing about the Edge adding a 3rd row of seats and merging with S-Max. I think it's an absurd notion unless Ford wishes to restructure it's Crossover lineup.

There is no 'kind of' there, the Wagoneer is a different vehicle than the Grand Cherokee. Different vehicle, different customer.

While that was the case in the past, I don't think that's quite the strategy Jeep is pursuing with this iteration. The Durango as it is now is already a lot more similar to the Grand Cherokee than the last Wagoneer was.

We are arguing about the Edge adding a 3rd row of seats and merging with S-Max. I think it's an absurd notion unless Ford wishes to restructure it's Crossover lineup.

I think you're taking the "merging" part a little too literally. If they "merge", chances are the resulting product would be a whole lot more Edge-like and the S-Max would end up cancelled.

All I'm arguing is that Ford ought to be careful when considering the design for the next gen Edge if they intend to offer a 3rd row in it. Not saying it can't be done, but it needs to be executed properly.

Going on about this...isn't the CX-9 longer then an Edge? Not to mention the Explorer is going to need something to keep it different from the Edge if they share the same platform.

The Edge and Escape co-exist fine, and I don't see any reason to add a 3rd row to the Edge, since the market doesn't really require it in that case. The Edge is more a sporty CUV made for couples that might have a kid or no kids what so ever. The Escape is a lower priced product then the Edge.

In the end, if the Edge is still selling ~10,000 units a month in a couple of years and they still decide to screw with its replacement too much, I think we should all start to worry about Ford's product planning.

One could say that's exactly what they did with the Escape, but I would beg to differ. When it comes right down to it, the new Escape really isn't a whole lot different in form and function than the last one. It just looks a whole lot newer.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

In the end, if the Edge is still selling ~10,000 units a month in a couple of years and they still decide to screw with its replacement too much, I think we should all start to worry about Ford's product planning.

One could say that's exactly what they did with the Escape, but I would beg to differ. When it comes right down to it, the new Escape really isn't a whole lot different in form and function than the last one. It just looks a whole lot newer.

Ford has done some risky things in the name of One Ford, consider me a little gun shy. We don't know if the Edge will remain North American targeted or go global, which makes a big difference on how a car is developed and designed for its customers.

Based on my dealings with my Edge, I find that it would be pretty difficult to pull off a 3rd row without significantly changing the character of the vehicle somehow -- either lowering the floor, lengthening the wheelbase, etc. I suspect that something that seems "just right" about it to so many buyers now might get thrown off kilter somehow. Ford should consider that decision carefully.

I think they will keep it as is size wise, people have the 7 eseats covered with the Explorer, Ive always veiwed the Edge as fords Cayenne, little sportier and appeals to a different niche....one doesnt want to alienate one or the other.

Ford has done some risky things in the name of One Ford, consider me a little gun shy. We don't know if the Edge will remain North American targeted or go global, which makes a big difference on how a car is developed and designed for its customers.

Risky? Such as?

I heard from a little bird that a new retro LTD Country Squire will be out soon. Will replace all of Ford's CUV's. Ford is using blueprints from 1965 to retool the plants. There will be various woodgrain treatments and even Granite and Stainless Steel siding available. This is to match an HGTV promotion. Powered by Eco-boost V6 and DCT.

Ford also will bring back annual styling changes, and tooling from 1965 to 75 will be used each year. Then will re-start the sequence.

• Like 1

The Kia Sorento is pretty close in size to the Edge, basically 1" to 2' smaller in most dimensions, and it offers a 3rd row as an option. Not saying the Edge has to have a 3rd row option, but if it did, it wouldn't necessarily mean that it will have to grow too much to accommodate one either. The wheelbase now is only 1-1/2" shorter than the Explorer's. I would like to see an all new Edge, based on a global platform, that is basically just an evolution of the current Edge (sporty, high riding, high beltline, etc.) with a possible 3rd row option and I would like to see it either replace the S-Max or get re-badged as the new S-Max in Europe like the Kuga did to the Escape here in the US.

The Kia Sorento is pretty close in size to the Edge, basically 1" to 2' smaller in most dimensions, and it offers a 3rd row as an option. Not saying the Edge has to have a 3rd row option, but if it did, it wouldn't necessarily mean that it will have to grow too much to accommodate one either. The wheelbase now is only 1-1/2" shorter than the Explorer's. I would like to see an all new Edge, based on a global platform, that is basically just an evolution of the current Edge (sporty, high riding, high beltline, etc.) with a possible 3rd row option and I would like to see it either replace the S-Max or get re-badged as the new S-Max in Europe like the Kuga did to the Escape here in the US.

Along those lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Edge just continue in a similar formula to the current model (2 rows only), and as you just be named S-Max over there (not sure what kind of name recognition S-Max has) despite being mostly the same to our Edge.

Borg, your working yourself up here mostly because you have no solid info.

look at the recent current efforts and take heart that the US gets a big say in vehicles for its markets.

Since Edge and MKX hang in the balance, a lot of say so swings back to Ford NA on these two projects.

Edited by jpd80