Next-Gen Edge/MKX

Any news or speculation on this topic? We haven't seen any mules or prototypes running around that indicate a new vehicle is within 2 years of production. It would be logical to assume the Edge would follow the Fusion time frame, but that would put it a little more than year out and there is no sign of it. After-all, we are already seeing Mustang mules which should be launching even later than Edge. And remember the 2013 Fusion debuted nearly a year before it went on sale and mules/prototypes were running around for 16 months before that. Everything usually follows a predictable and observable pattern.

I don't think we even know what it will be based on, we are assuming new Fusion but that's not guaranteed.

We do have confirmation from Mark Fields that a we will see an updated Edge/MKX within a year...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't mean another MCE to extend its life a bit longer.

Edited by BORG

Any news or speculation on this topic? We haven't seen any mules or prototypes running around that indicate a new vehicle is within 2 years of production. It would be logical to assume the Edge would follow the Fusion time frame, but that would put it a little more than year out and there is no sign of it. After-all, we are already seeing Mustang mules which should be launching even later than Edge. And remember the 2013 Fusion debuted nearly a year before it went on sale and mules/prototypes were running around for 16 months before that. Everything usually follows a predictable and observable pattern.

I don't think we even know what it will be based on, we are assuming new Fusion but that's not guaranteed.

We do have confirmation from Mark Fields that a we will see an updated Edge/MKX within a year...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't mean another MCE to extend its life a bit longer.

There have been mules out -- just at night. I think you'll hear more about the next Edge/MKX future Flex product with the CAW negotiations that are going on now.

There have been mules out -- just at night. I think you'll hear more about the next Edge/MKX future Flex product with the CAW negotiations that are going on now.

I thought we've seen some really odd looking S-Max/Galaxy prototypes running around Detroit also....very early mules like the Frakin-Flex that became the Explorer.

I thought we've seen some really odd looking S-Max/Galaxy prototypes running around Detroit also....very early mules like the Frakin-Flex that became the Explorer.

I loved watching the internet blowup over this thing...

2011-Ford-Explorer_01.jpg

ZOMG! Teh new Xplorerr is justa Freestyle wit duh Flex front end! Ferd suckzzzzzz!

From what I can telll, the internal code for the S-Max is CD539. I posted the following in another thread, but it makes more sense here:

There's a Ford employee on LinkedIn that lists his job as "Studio Engineer overseeing the Exterior CD539N (North America Sport Package) and the CD539C (China Sport Package). Coordinating between Exterior Engineering Groups and Studio Design Concepts for Feasibility." If CD359 is S-Max, I would be willing to bet that the next Edge will be a platform mate. FWIW, the Mondeo's code name is CD391 while the Fusion is referred to as CD391N. Interesting...

If you compare dimensions between the S-Max and Edge, they are very similar. Since both are due are currently in their MCE's and due for an "all new" makeover, now would be the time to merge them. It makes sense as both the Edge & S-Max have "van" roots (the Edge has more in common with the JDM Mazda MPV than anything else and the S-Max was based on the EU Ford Galaxy). It will be interesting to see how similar (or different) they end up being if they do in fact merge. Since EU already has the Galaxy, I could see the S-Max become more Edge like than the Edge becoming more S-Max like.

Since EU already has the Galaxy, I could see the S-Max become more Edge like than the Edge becoming more S-Max like.

Would seem the more likely scenario, if they are in fact going to merge them. The Edge is popular because of its more SUV-like characteristics. I sure wouldn't buy another one if it looked like the S-Max.

The unidentified mules we have seen running around are not Edge mules, unless the Edge is going C2 and getting significantly lower, longer, and narrower and being renamed Galaxy

https://rumors.autom...ica-156763.html

I can tell you that's a grand C-Max by the sliders and small wheels.

This is S=Max:

2060220_004_Mini16LNew+Ford+S-Max.jpg

And this is Galaxy, maybe Flex replacement?:

Ford-Galaxy-2012-553x300.jpg

Edited by jpd80

The S-Max is also a 7-seater family hauler with a low load floor. There is no way these two top-hats are compatible unless they forfeit one for the other. It does make me nervous so that's why I'm really eager to see some physical evidence of a new Edge.

Lincoln may also be doing something different with the MKX than Ford, it's possible Ford will redefine Edge as a 7-seater while MKX continues on with it's current mission along with the RX, SRX, RDX, etc... MKX has lots of competitors in this race, Edge is actually somewhat anomalous with only the Murano closely resembling the Edge.

Edited by BORG

The S-Max is also a 7-seater family hauler with a low load floor. There is no way these two top-hats are compatible unless they forfeit one for the other. It does make me nervous so that's why I'm really eager to see some physical evidence of a new Edge.

Lincoln may also be doing something different with the MKX than Ford, it's possible Ford will redefine Edge as a 7-seater while MKX continues on with it's current mission along with the RX, SRX, RDX, etc... MKX has lots of competitors in this race, Edge is actually somewhat anomalous with only the Murano closely resembling the Edge.

Your worries seem to be without merit or evidence. Why would Ford consider replacing one of its best-selling CUVs with a van? It wouldn't. Why would it make the Edge a 7-seater when the Explorer already does that? And lastly, why would they consider significantly changing the role on the MKX when it is one of the pillars of strength for a struggling brand? The lack of mules shouldn't be particularly troubling at all given the lack of mules we've seen from Ford lately previous to other launches. If the size of the vehicle won't be changing dramatically, it would be pretty easy to conceal a completely new platform under an existing body.

Edited by NickF1011

Think about it this way.. C-Max is to Escape as S-Max is to Edge...

The AWD rear end in Mondeo had to come from somewhere...

Shoulder room in Galaxy and S-Max is around 61"....

Edited by jpd80

Um what about the Flex and Explorer...or even the Escape and Focus? Same platform, two different roles.

IMO the S-Max looks way too much like the Galaxy...thus would be smart to differentiated it more by making it more like the Edge. Plus I've heard scuttlebutt around here that EU wanted the Edge for their market.

gain an imagination it is very possible. compare the C-max5 to the escape.

Um what about the Flex and Explorer...or even the Escape and Focus? Same platform, two different roles.

IMO the S-Max looks way too much like the Galaxy...thus would be smart to differentiated it more by making it more like the Edge. Plus I've heard scuttlebutt around here that EU wanted the Edge for their market.

the galaxy, S-max and mondeo share the "same" floorpan, FOE had very little money to develop all 3 models as what they should have been.

the galaxy should have sliders, but it doesn't

the S-max should look sportier but it doesn't

the mondeo should.. the Mondeo share alot with the Volvos on EUCD, and as a whole represents the Base EUCD architecture

The Mazda CX9 is a 7 seater, so Ford adding a 7 seater option to the next gen Edge isn't out of the realm of reality. Especially if they discontinue the Flex.

Think about it this way.. C-Max is to Escape as S-Max is to Edge...

The AWD rear end in Mondeo had to come from somewhere...

Shoulder room in Galaxy and S-Max is around 61"....

Not really. The C-Max is a CUV and the Escape is an SUV (at least as far as Ford is concerned). The Edge and S-Max are Ford's C/D sized CUV. Ford doesn't currently offer a C/D size SUV.

Look, I know S-Max and Edge COULD share platforms, but I'm saying they can't share top hats! They can't be the same vehicles. You can't have a 5-seater edge and a 7-Seater S-Max.

But keep in mind that the Fusion and Edge do not share platforms right now, which is a common misconception. They share some components, but the Edge/MKX are significantly differently. The Edge would resemble the Venza if it directly rested on a CD3 platform (which is to say not an SUV).

The Edge would resemble the Venza if it directly rested on a CD3 platform (which is to say not an SUV).

:headscratch:

Not so sure you could draw that conclusion. Toyota intentionally kept the Venza more wagon-like since they already had the more upright Highlander, which is also based on the same platform, is it not?

Look, I know S-Max and Edge COULD share platforms, but I'm saying they can't share top hats! They can't be the same vehicles. You can't have a 5-seater edge and a 7-Seater S-Max.

But keep in mind that the Fusion and Edge do not share platforms right now, which is a common misconception. They share some components, but the Edge/MKX are significantly differently. The Edge would resemble the Venza if it directly rested on a CD3 platform (which is to say not an SUV).

They can share tophats, there isn't a rule that says the next edge cannot have a 3rd row. If anything it would allow the edge to standout more from the escape.

the edge is NOT a SUV it is a CUV, deal with it.