2013 Escape oil leak

Which reminds me, I'm really enjoying my Corolla. It's a great car, couldn't be happier and the old school 4 speed auto setup is still getting better mpg than I did in the dual clutch Focus. Just wanted to throw that out there. And now back to the main event. lol

However I would like to say in akirby's defense that the Fusion has been an exceptionally reliable car from the very first year model and that is attributable to the fact that Ford took the time and effort to make sure the car was thoroughly vetted and all the bugs worked out before they released it. So it can be done. This notion that first year model cars should be avoided because of the higher probability of having issues doesn't work for me. These corporations are perfectly capable of releasing a solid product from year one (the Fusion is proof of that). But instead they rush product to market and the costumers pay the price.

So Ford was supposed to keep on with the previous Focus for another 10 years or so and maybe build a little assemby plant off to the side making a couple hundred new generation Focus/year and having testers putting millions of miles on them until they were ready for prime time? Maybe by Job15 or so they could have the perfect car and in meantime listen to the constant harping about how dated the 2011 Focus was as it goes on for another 10 years or so. But oh wait...it's reliable. I guess Ford should also keep on building present Fusion since it's so reliable. Guess what....there will probably be some faulty supplier parts on the new Fusion also and it will take a year probably to identify them and get on new, nondefective parts. That goes wtih coming out with something all new with 13,000 largely new parts on it, many of them supplied by outside suppliers. As I said earlier, Ford now has the freshest lineup in the industry, and that does come with a price tag as in lower profits initially since your costs rise significantly bringing them to market and lower qaulity ratings until corrections at plant level can get them sorted out. Now maybe it's better to go Toyota way with super mild refreshes like Corolla and Camry, same drivetrains, since you have this positive reputation, but Ford has to wow more because it doesn't have that reputation, and as a result, Ford has the freshest, most feature laden vehicles in the industry and they look all new because they are all new. Focus, Escape, Explorer, and Fusion are all new vehicles that take backseat to no one.

Never bought used.

1996 Pontiac Grand Am - amazing car, no mechanical glitches

2001 Toyota Solara - motherboard shot, had 3 engine lights inside of 6000 miles, I called Head Office, dealer was on verge of dismantling my fuel line.

2007 Ford Edge - first year - no mechanical glitches, some paint issues, and chrome clad rims replaced due to premature corrosion. However, my brother works line at OAC - horrible axle issues in the fall of 2006, plant manager fired. I bought mine May 07 - after all that.

Its hit and miss.... I think any manufacturer at any time can have problems. The playing field has been levelled. No one is immune.

Never bought used.

1996 Pontiac Grand Am - amazing car, no mechanical glitches

2001 Toyota Solara - motherboard shot, had 3 engine lights inside of 6000 miles, I called Head Office, dealer was on verge of dismantling my fuel line.

2007 Ford Edge - first year - no mechanical glitches, some paint issues, and chrome clad rims replaced due to premature corrosion. However, my brother works line at OAC - horrible axle issues in the fall of 2006, plant manager fired. I bought mine May 07 - after all that.

Its hit and miss.... I think any manufacturer at any time can have problems. The playing field has been levelled. No one is immune.

The auto industry as a whole including the transplants are completely dependent upon outside suppliers for most of their parts. I know that the auto assemblers keep on narrowing that list down to cut down on defective parts, but it will continue as it only takes a couple faulty parts like hose clamp to get yourself into the media and posters on internet complaining about their car. Never could figure that out. If I have defective vehicle or whatever, I spend most of my time with manufacturer trying to get it fixed, not whining on the internet about the problem. The internet is not going to fix it. It's kind of like I have a problem with said vehicle, therefore all said vehicles have same problem. Certainly someone on a forum may be able to supply you with info about the problem and who to call to get it fixed, but keeping to the point of finding a fix certainly does help and projecting your problem onto everyone and bad mouthing the vehicle does not help anyone. IMO, all the major auto companies make fine vehicles that on average offer many thousands of trouble free miles. And if you are unlucky, they have warranties and very good service departments plus 1-800 numbers to call to get factory rep out to further delve into problem. And if you are super unlucky, there are lemon laws. And no auto company is immune to problems.

So the oil and fuel issues are only in the EB16? This sounds like a car/engine interface issue.

Given the increased complexity of the EB16, it would seem logical that it would have a higher likelihood of problems. But you would have hoped most of those sorts of things would have been worked out already. Guess not.

Given the increased complexity of the EB16, it would seem logical that it would have a higher likelihood of problems. But you would have hoped most of those sorts of things would have been worked out already. Guess not.

Perhaps, but the EB20 is not effected...Yeah, strange.

Latest on my in-laws escape....Was to be finished today (Thursday) They got a call this morning from the service dept. and was informed there is now a recall on the car, pinched fuel line and all vehicles are to be taken off the road WTF. Just wondering what idiot ok'd the release of this vehicle makes Ford look BAD.

• Like 1

*COUGH*DODGE*COUGH*COUGH* -- and problems-per-vehicle in 2012 is lower for Ford than it was in the mid-2000's which you claim were their "glory days" for quality. Ford had 120 PPV in 2007 vs 118 now.

Maybe you could explain this to my in-laws for me.

• Like 1

Maybe you could explain this to my in-laws for me.

Explain what? That no automaker is perfect? Cars have problems. That's life. Yeah, it's unfortunate your in-laws have had problems with their car, but there's no saying that they wouldn't have had problems if they had bought something else either. One of the Escape's biggest competitors, the CR-V was just recalled too.

The dealership should be providing them with a free loaner vehicle though until parts are available to remedy the fuel line issue, according to Ford's press release.

Edited by NickF1011

Thanks mackinaw for confirming that faulty hose clamps can result in oil leaks with the 1.6T engine.

jam, hopefully the pending fix that mackinaw alluded to will resolve the issue on your father in law's Escape. If not, suggest that he consider a Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5 as a replacement vehicle.

Im sorry, but if its a HOSECLAMP forget about Lemon law......

In Ohio the lemon law comes into play when a vehicle is in the shop for 30 days in the first 18000 miles. as of now 15 days and counting and only 63 miles on car.

Latest on my in-laws escape....Was to be finished today (Thursday) They got a call this morning from the service dept. and was informed there is now a recall on the car, pinched fuel line and all vehicles are to be taken off the road WTF. Just wondering what idiot ok'd the release of this vehicle makes Ford look BAD.<br />

Jam, sounds like you FIL's Escape had a different issue, because you said "oil leak", not "fuel leak". Please make sure that the dealer check and fix both issues.

In Ohio the lemon law comes into play when a vehicle is in the shop for 30 days in the first 18000 miles. as of now 15 days and counting and only 63 miles on car.

Lemon Law would not apply yet at this point, as it is not in the shop for the same issue as it was when first brought in.

Explain what? That no automaker is perfect? Cars have problems. That's life. Yeah, it's unfortunate your in-laws have had problems with their car, but there's no saying that they wouldn't have had problems if they had bought something else either. One of the Escape's biggest competitors, the CR-V was just recalled too.

The dealership should be providing them with a free loaner vehicle though until parts are available to remedy the fuel line issue, according to Ford's press release

Nick the dealership is providing them a loaner a 2008 escape that smells like smoke! My point is They PAID over $30000.00 for a new car and cannot even drive it. My guess is you would be just fine if this were your car and you were making payments on something you couldn't enjoy.

• Like 1

Lemon Law would not apply yet at this point, as it is not in the shop for the same issue as it was when first brought in.

Lemon law does not require it to be just one issue. It can be multiply issues.

No, it would annoy the crap out of me too. But there's really nothing that can be done other than getting annoyed. It's not like I haven't had to deal with issues -- my brand new Edge was rear-ended less than 6 months after I bought it and it took the body shop close to a month to get it repaired to my satisfaction. But what could I do other than be annoyed by it? I wanted it repaired properly and I was going to wait until that occurred regardless. At least their cigarette-smelling loaner is free. I had to pay for mine.

Edited by NickF1011

Jam, sounds like you FIL's Escape had a different issue, because you said "oil leak", not "fuel leak". Please make sure that the dealer check and fix both issues.

ls... it's an oil leak, but they were informed today that there is a recall for a pinched fuel line

• Like 1

Latest on the in-laws escape.... They tell him the oil leak is fix (they hope). Now he has to wait for the parts to fix fuel line. Today makes 18 days without his suv. All I keep hearing about is GM's 60 day money back offer, and how they stand behind there products.

• Like 1

Latest on the in-laws escape.... They tell him the oil leak is fix (they hope). Now he has to wait for the parts to fix fuel line. Today makes 18 days without his suv. All I keep hearing about is GM's 60 day money back offer, and how they stand behind there products.

Tell your FIL to buy a Lambda, between the timing chains, steering racks and now full engine replacements they are our best customers.We had 5 lined up in a row in the shop last week. 2 Acadia's and 3 Enclaves. That's not counting the one or 2 that come in every day the rest of the week. That's in a town of 18,000.

Lemon law does not require it to be just one issue. It can be multiply issues.

Lemon law I would think only applies if issue is severe and can't be fixed after repeated tries. It's like dealer and manufacturer finally threw their hands up and said we can't remedy your problem or problems. And I would think it would have to be a safety issue like stalling in traffic or overly mushy brakes that extend stopping distances, severe driveability problems, and the such. Or an oil leak that can't be fixed for some reason and leaves spotting wherever you go and constant dipstick or trans checking. Lemon laws are for severe, vexing problems, not even many, minor problems easily fixable and solved quickly.

ls... it's an oil leak, but they were informed today that there is a recall for a pinched fuel line

I believe the oil leak is the hose clamp. And there has been much reporting on fuel line and what Ford is doing about it. They should be able to take care of both issues while at dealer. I imagine the issue would be availability of parts as fix is pretty easy and straight forward. Ford has to get thousands of new parts to dealers on brand new vehicle just shipped. And fix the ones not sold yet. The price you pay for being first with all new, completely redesigned vehicle with all new engine to boot.

Huh? Why didn't they replace the whole engine on a brand-new sled? :)

Yeah, you would think there would be less labor in crating in brand new engine than tearing down old one and starting over in rebuilding the whole thing. Labor generally costs more than parts.