Toyota and BMW teaming up to build Sports car

silvrsvt

http://jalopnik.com/5922305/how-toyotas-bmw-deal-fulfills-akio-toyodas-deepest-desire

Toyota and BMW are teaming up on what they're calling an environmentally friendly sports car. They aren't saying very much about it, in fact they buried the news in their announcement of an expanded technology partnership with BMW. In fact, not a single reporter in Japan asked a question about the sports car (Boo!).

They'll sell every one they build, regardless of merit.

Not so sure about that. Toyota hasn't exactly been the most successful at marketing sporty vehicles. There's a laundry list of eventual failures: Supra? Celica? MR-2? MR-Spyder? tC? SC? Jury is still out on the FR-S and LFA.

Not so sure about that. Toyota hasn't exactly been the most successful at marketing sporty vehicles. There's a laundry list of eventual failures: Supra? Celica? MR-2? MR-Spyder? tC? SC? Jury is still out on the FR-S and LFA.

BMW's Z4 has not been a good seller last few years. But then again selling sports cars in economy of last few years has not been easy. But with new products sports cars and sporty cars have been making a little bit of a comeback.

BMW's Z4 has not been a good seller last few years. But then again selling sports cars in economy of last few years has not been easy. But with new products sports cars and sporty cars have been making a little bit of a comeback.

The styling of the Z4 hasn't exactly helped its cause either.

Jury is still out on the FR-S and LFA.

In the case of those two cars, papilgee4evaeva's statement about selling every one they build should hold true in the short term. Sales of the latter cover the entire allotments for most regions; the former ranked (with its Subaru sibling) at the top of Edmunds' list of "fastest selling vehicles in May 2012":

carnews_618121_600.jpg

Long term, I agree with you that it remains to be seen whether BMW's or Toyota's sales and marketing strategies for sports cars (jointly developed or not) are tenable. The decent number of sports or sporty cars in Edmunds' list above leads me to be cautiously optimistic.

In the case of those two cars, papilgee4evaeva's statement about selling every one they build should hold true in the short term. Sales of the latter cover the entire allotments for most regions; the former ranked (with its Subaru sibling) at the top of Edmunds' list of "fastest selling vehicles in May 2012":

A couple months doesn't really mean much. I want to see them surive into a second or third generation. The Supra was the only one that really managed that well before becoming too overpriced in its final generation -- the same fate that met Nissan's 300ZX and Mitsubishi's 3000GT.

I think that cart is a bit disingenuous...wait till the supply builds up to see how fast they sell...its the same situation with the 2013 Escape...4 days on the lot (though I've seen a few in local lots for about a week or two now)

its the same situation with the 2013 Escape...4 days on the lot (though I've seen a few in local lots for about a week or two now)

That's an average. For the ones that have been there a couple weeks there have likely been others that were bought right off the truck. All depends on how they are optioned out.

As JFK said about Washington: "It's a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."

I envision a car that drives like a Toyota and costs as much as a BMW to fix. Sort of like the Sterling.

LOL, the worst of both worlds..

Edited by jpd80

A couple months doesn't really mean much. I want to see them surive into a second or third generation. The Supra was the only one that really managed that well before becoming too overpriced in its final generation -- the same fate that met Nissan's 300ZX and Mitsubishi's 3000GT.

That seems like an odd way of looking at things. Why does it have to survive for 2 or 3 generations to be considered successful? It's successful if it makes money, period. It can be a critical success even if it doesn't make money, and even if it only gets built for a single model year.

Those that think that Toyota has no heritage of building good sports cars have short memories. Not to mention the brand new FR-S, which is impressing lots of reviewers. SMH at this thread...

That seems like an odd way of looking at things. Why does it have to survive for 2 or 3 generations to be considered successful? It's successful if it makes money, period. It can be a critical success even if it doesn't make money, and even if it only gets built for a single model year.

Those that think that Toyota has no heritage of building good sports cars have short memories. Not to mention the brand new FR-S, which is impressing lots of reviewers. SMH at this thread...

Part of the reason people scoff at the "heritage" of toyota sports cars is because they flail in the wind with their sports cars. They have a succesful car and then turn it into something far off from the original... Essentially killing the product/brand after a couple of years. Thats where the 2 or 3 generations notion comes from. Its as if Toyota hired GM to run their sporty car development.

Well, I'll admit that Toyota's sporting efforts have often been thwarted by bad marketing and/or unfavorable market conditions, but I would never say that they couldn't build 'em. And with BMW as a partner, I'm interested to see the results. Of course, there's a lot that has to happen for this thing to become a reality - but if it did, I'm sure it would at least be an interesting exercise in engineering.

Those that think that Toyota has no heritage of building good sports cars have short memories.

Actually, Nick mentioned the Supra/Celica, and aside from that you've got what? The incredibly low volume 2000 GT? The MR2?

I mean you've got, on the one hand a fantastic, beautiful car, of which maybe a hundred remain, and on the other hand you've got a vehicle that unfortunately applied both Toyota reliability and Toyota excitement to the basic layout of a Ferrari. Really, the best thing you can say about the MR2 is that it caught fire a lot less often than the Fiero.

• Like 1

I doubt the gen 4 Supra made a dime for Toyota. If the FR-S settles into a couple thousand sales a month, I doubt it will either.