2015 F-150 Supercab spotted

That would be a horrible mistake. The Super Duty 450/550 needs to stay under 7' tall.

Educate me-not disagreeing with you but what is critical about 7'? If you are talking cab roof height, I would bet most 450's/550's end up beyond 84" when their respective vocational body is added-with the exception of course of 450 dually pick ups.

In any case, I was suggesting the cab structure. Given fact 19.5 low pro wheels would be running gear of choice, I would imagine effort woud be made to keep entry height low. And at 19,500 lbs gvw, the 550 matches F-600's of the 70's/80's/90's I would imagine they were well beyond 84".

The present F-150 has morphed into this giant pickup that many don't need, and if they need something that capable, move up to Super Duty. With Crew Cab, even a mid sized pickup gets awfully big and takes up big footprint. Pickups nowadays are so obtrusive in the extreme. I can't believe most buyers use the capability.

This is the issue...reason why half ton pickups have become what they are is because of increased competition in the segment...with the growth of the trucks, their hasn't been a backlash with the people buying it...so how is making a smaller truck going to change anything? Beside hurt sales by selling a truck that isn't as capable as its competition or going into a shrinking segment?

This is the issue...reason why half ton pickups have become what they are is because of increased competition in the segment...with the growth of the trucks, their hasn't been a backlash with the people buying it...so how is making a smaller truck going to change anything? Beside hurt sales by selling a truck that isn't as capable as its competition or going into a shrinking segment?

Times have changed, with fuel mileage becoming much more important, and Ford has already stated that next generation F-150 will be lighter by hundreds of pounds, and I suspect a bit smaller in some ways also, but bed will be same dimensions and I'm sure it will be just as capable. Another easy bet is that it will be more aero. And another is that bed sides won't be as tall. GM has already stated also that next generation Silverado will get 8 speed auto. So I would bet Ford will follow suit. So look for next F-150 to get 24-25mpg highway, maybe more. The pickup truck makers will be bragging about fuel mileage as much as payload and towing power as they are already.

I'll though in my $.02. I think it looks smaller than the current F150 as well, at least the chassis does. The track doesn't seem wide enough - the rear wheels seem to be too far in from the edge of the sheet metal. Also the current F150 mounts the shocks between the wheels and the springs. This mule looks like the shocks are inboard of the springs the way the 97-03 models did. The 97-03 used a 5 lug wheel typically like this mule. Someone at the source article pointed out the wheels are an exact match for some available on the 97-03 models. The 97-03 used a kind of oddball lug pattern (5x135mm), so I imagine this is a 97-03 chassis. I was trying to figure out if there was a T6 hiding under the camo, but I doubt it. The T6 has 6 lugs and shock mounts don't look right either.

Perhaps Ford is testing a new Ecoboost/8spd auto in an older chassis because it's approximately the same weight as the proposed "lightened" F-150.

Yeah, but people are talking like the '97 was shorter (it wasn't--that's dictated by cabin space requirements, uniform box size, and powertrain packaging), narrower (it wasn't--that's dictated by uniform box size), and not as tall (they were within an inch of each other, IIRC).

The '04 was slightly longer (6") as the SuperCab interior was longer, and the regular cab had more space behind the seats. I think the SuperCrew stayed about the same length until '09 when the cab of the SCrew was lengthened. Also, the '12 is about 4.5" wider than the '03, but the heights are essentially the same (overall height, not bed height).

So, yes, the '04+ is a slightly larger in length in width (6", 4.5" respectively). But, the way the pics look, the axles are a bit narrower than the body here, so it appears we have a truck maybe 8-10" narrower than the current truck. And, given the look of the rear axle in the wheel well (this may be an optical illusion), maybe even 8-10" shorter than the current truck.

Here are the links to the specs I used:

'03: http://www.ford-truc...003_f150_1.html

'12: http://www.ford.com/...tions/exterior/

Edited by fordmantpw

AFAIK, the Super Crew was lengthened to compete with the 'supersized' crew cabs offered by Dodge.

No, it's not near that big, just more usable space, and a flat load floor (which they made a huge deal about). The pre-'09 SCrew was kinda smallish inside for a crew cab.

And both the 97-03 and 04-12 units are nearly the same size as the 92-96 F-150 as well. All three styles are basically 79" wide (excluding mirrors) and within 2" of each other on height. Between the three body styles, the area that has grown the most is length. I attribute that mostly to consumer demands for more cabin space (legroom). As well as older models not having a Screw 6.5' bed which has drastically increased the overall length.

As for weight between the 3, as you get newer, each starts to come with more safety and emissions equipment, adding significant weight. Each starts to come with more creature comforts, larger wheels and other items like running boards/step rails that typically weren't on most 96 and prior models.

Adding on to fordmantpw's dimensions for the 97-03 & 04+ F150s, below are the dimensions for the 90-96 F150

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1996-ford-f-150-250-pickup-6.htm

What I really find interesting is all the complaints about the size and capabilities when people speak of pickups. But what about cars? All cars dimensions and capabilities have increased over the past decade and a half, just like pickups. So has their weight, just like pickups. So why are people so disenchanted with the increase for pickups, but they seem to love how cars sizes have grown?

And this was always the reason for a compact or even a mid-size pickup. For those who don't need the size or capabilities of a full-size, they had smaller options. Just like in cars, you have large, mid, compact and sub-compact. Most the problem I'm familiar with trucks is, the compacts/mid-size never got many of the updates, creature comforts and various items that manufacturers put in their full-size. So many people simply opted for full-size to get these features, even though they didn't need all the full-size truck had to offer.

AFAIK, the Super Crew was lengthened to compete with the 'supersized' crew cabs offered by Dodge.

Isn't the Mega Cab on the Ram only offered in 2500 or above? Isn't the 1500 only what they used to call the Quad Cab? And even now, the newer Ram Crew's have normal size doors, not the smallish rear doors they used to when they originally started the Quad Cab name.

No, it's not near that big, just more usable space, and a flat load floor (which they made a huge deal about). The pre-'09 SCrew was kinda smallish inside for a crew cab.

Hmm, my '06 F150 Crew Cab has plenty of space in the 2nd row. I'm 6' and my father in law is 6'5" and has no problem sitting it the rear seat behind me. The increase in size was simply for bragging rights, as I have yet to have anyone state the rear legroom or space in my F150 is anything other than spacious. Sure I'd take the extra room in the '09+, you know bigger is better. But I dislike the extreme difference in door sizes (front is much larger than rear) on the 09+ models.

What I really find interesting is all the complaints about the size and capabilities when people speak of pickups. But what about cars? All cars dimensions and capabilities have increased over the past decade and a half, just like pickups. So has their weight, just like pickups. So why are people so disenchanted with the increase for pickups, but they seem to love how cars sizes have grown?

And this was always the reason for a compact or even a mid-size pickup. For those who don't need the size or capabilities of a full-size, they had smaller options. Just like in cars, you have large, mid, compact and sub-compact. Most the problem I'm familiar with trucks is, the compacts/mid-size never got many of the updates, creature comforts and various items that manufacturers put in their full-size. So many people simply opted for full-size to get these features, even though they didn't need all the full-size truck had to offer.

Well, there are people who complain about the size of modern cars, at least as it pertains to weight (witness the complaints about the porkiness of the Camaro and Challenger), but I think you just answered your own question. If you don't want a two-ton Taurus, you can go buy a Fusion, or a Focus, or even a Fiesta. If you need a pickup and want a Ford, you have one choice, whether it's too big or not, and when you had the choice, if you needed something that the F150 had and the Ranger didn't, you were stuck with the bigger truck.

Of course, I'm just guessing--I like big trucks and I cannot lie... ;)

Isn't the Mega Cab on the Ram only offered in 2500 or above? Isn't the 1500 only what they used to call the Quad Cab? And even now, the newer Ram Crew's have normal size doors, not the smallish rear doors they used to when they originally started the Quad Cab name.

Yes, the Mega Cab is only available on the 2500+ now. It used to be availabe in the 1500 until '10 I think.

But I dislike the extreme difference in door sizes (front is much larger than rear) on the 09+ models.

I agree there. It looked a little goofy when they first came out, though I've gotten used to it now.

Let me put in my two cents. When we started building prototypes for the 09 back in 06, we did not use ANY new body styles. When we went back in 07 we started to use the new body/sheet metal for the first time (six months before it was revealed). Two years is a VERY long time to have a full prototype sitting around....

Let me put in my two cents. When we started building prototypes for the 09 back in 06, we did not use ANY new body styles. When we went back in 07 we started to use the new body/sheet metal for the first time (six months before it was revealed). Two years is a VERY long time to have a full prototype sitting around....

So you are saying this IS a '15 mule. Interesting.................

Now maybe all of the "F150 is too big" whiners will finally stop whining.

Nah - they'll just find something else to complain about.

Who says it's any smaller? Unless you have hard numbers or scale reference objects, you can't make that determination.

Compared to a current F-150 supercab:

5782_17.jpg

The only significant differences I see are the steeper sloped hood/smaller 3-bar grille and apparently scalloped lower side sheet metal. All the other bits (bed height, window frames, etc) seem to be fairly consistent.