2015 F-150 Supercab spotted

It looks almost like they are using a 97-03 Supercab as the basis for this mule. I'm liking what appears to be lower bed sides.

I agree, and the wheels are blacked-out versions of the chrome ones available starting in '99 (just like my '99 had), which tells me these are 5 lug wheels, not 6 like the current F150. However, the side window, though hard to tell, does appear to have a cut down by the mirror like the current gen and the Super Duty. The third brake light area areas to be the same as the '97-'03 model as well.

sure looks more sleek and aerodynamic.

Yep, just like the '97-'03 models.

I don't know that this is the F150 as it appears to be a bit too small. My money is on this being an F100, probably just a powertrain test mule. Notice how the rear axle doesn't seem to be centered in the opening in the wheel well (unless it is just an optical illusion)? That leads me to believe it's not the body meant for this truck, and hints even more at it being a powertrain test mule.

Of course, I could be way off base. :)

The bed rails definately look like they will be lowering the beltline giving the visual impression that the truck is smaller than it is.....I have always hated the "hiked up" window line trying to emulate the Super Duty window line...makes the truck look like an old guy with his pants up waaaaay past his waist.

Just had a thought...there is ALOT of camo on this mule and it looks pretty finished from the glimpses we can see under it....

Anyways...the new F-150 isn't due for another 2 years at least...if anything we would see more "rough" prototypes first like the recent Mustang IRS mule or even the franken-Flex/Taurus X that became the Explorer...so could this possibly be a new product, like an F-100?

Just had a thought...there is ALOT of camo on this mule and it looks pretty finished from the glimpses we can see under it....

Anyways...the new F-150 isn't due for another 2 years at least...if anything we would see more "rough" prototypes first like the recent Mustang IRS mule or even the franken-Flex/Taurus X that became the Explorer...so could this possibly be a new product, like an F-100?

It's an interesting idea.

We know that the 2015 F-150 is thought to be revolutionary: Lightweight, aluminum frame, more aerodynamic, which lead most of us to believe it would be smaller. BUT, if a sub-F150 truck is launching as well, the 2015 F-150 would be able to continue the tough AND efficient image that started with the EB F-150.

I don't know that this is the F150 as it appears to be a bit too small. My money is on this being an F100, probably just a powertrain test mule. Notice how the rear axle doesn't seem to be centered in the opening in the wheel well (unless it is just an optical illusion)? That leads me to believe it's not the body meant for this truck, and hints even more at it being a powertrain test mule.

It's hard to tell of the "off-centered-ness" is an optical illusion or not, but in the front quarter shot it sure looks like the rear fender is too wide for the axle/wheel combo.

Edited by SoonerLS

As seen before, why go through all the trouble of completely covering up a vehicle that is cobbled together?

But I think your right..something isn't quite right about this truck...and it seems to be pointing at something smaller then the F-150, which would be a good reason to cover it up like it is..so it looks like a covered F-150

As seen before, why go through all the trouble of completely covering up a vehicle that is cobbled together?

But I think your right..something isn't quite right about this truck...and it seems to be pointing at something smaller then the F-150, which would be a good reason to cover it up like it is..so it looks like a covered F-150

My thoughts exactly! And the front end/grille area is probably true to the new truck to test cooling, so that is why it is covered up.

I hope the next F-150 is significantly lighter, smaller footprint so that it will fit in practically all garages and carports, still be very capable of course, but just not so fricking big, imposing, and intimidating. Then for those that want big, imposing, and intimidating, there is always Super Duty. Make the new F-150 about 600 pounds lighter, more aero, and then no need for any F-100. Again, always the Super Duty for those who want massive and heavy.

If I were ford, I'd put out a covered up mule every couple years just to make people look, which takes the view away from the real project.....camo up a 04 panther and drive it around for a week, then a 09 ranger. Everybody would miss the powertrain mule or think it's another "fake" LOL!

Who know what this is but you "know" a smaller 150 or possibly 100 is coming regardless.

I hope the next F-150 is significantly lighter, smaller footprint so that it will fit in practically all garages and carports, still be very capable of course, but just not so fricking big, imposing, and intimidating. Then for those that want big, imposing, and intimidating, there is always Super Duty.

Your missing the point though, alot of people buy a truck (or even an SUV when they where popular) because of this....

Your missing the point though, alot of people buy a truck (or even an SUV when they where popular) because of this....

That's why they really need more than one size. They just have to figure out how to do it without breaking the bank or killing profits.

That's why they really need more than one size. They just have to figure out how to do it without breaking the bank or killing profits.

Why? just because they can? Where is the business case?

I'm curious to how the mid-size market reacts to the Ranger being totally off the market...if it shrinks further or if the competeting models fill the void, I was trying to do numbers, but its hard to find data.

Why? just because they can? Where is the business case?

I meant that we know there are some people who want and need a big truck like the current F150 and others who don't so if you want to cover all the bases and appeal to the broadest customer base you should offer multiple sizes.

Whether or not there is a business case for that and whether it makes sense for Ford to pursue that right now is a different question.

I agree with those who say it "looks smaller". My hope is that it IS a smaller truck of some sort and that the 150 morphs into the Super Duty chassis-as it was 20 years ago with one cab covering 150-250-350. As for 450/550, perhaps that chassis could utilize the new medium duty Avon Lake cab-whatever that might be.

Someone commented they thought the glass area looked larger. Could that be a commonality issue with Super Duty??

Usually they only go through the trouble of tailoring camo like this when they have to make several sets of it for their prototypes (and of course they have something that hasn't been seen before and they want to keep it that way). What we are probably looking at is prototype sheetmetal, while the rest of it is a parted out mule. Indeed it looks surprisingly subdued and soft relative to the current F-150.

I'll though in my $.02. I think it looks smaller than the current F150 as well, at least the chassis does. The track doesn't seem wide enough - the rear wheels seem to be too far in from the edge of the sheet metal. Also the current F150 mounts the shocks between the wheels and the springs. This mule looks like the shocks are inboard of the springs the way the 97-03 models did. The 97-03 used a 5 lug wheel typically like this mule. Someone at the source article pointed out the wheels are an exact match for some available on the 97-03 models. The 97-03 used a kind of oddball lug pattern (5x135mm), so I imagine this is a 97-03 chassis. I was trying to figure out if there was a T6 hiding under the camo, but I doubt it. The T6 has 6 lugs and shock mounts don't look right either.

As for 450/550, perhaps that chassis could utilize the new medium duty Avon Lake cab-whatever that might be.

Someone commented they thought the glass area looked larger. Could that be a commonality issue with Super Duty??

That would be a horrible mistake. The Super Duty 450/550 needs to stay under 7' tall.

I meant that we know there are some people who want and need a big truck like the current F150 and others who don't so if you want to cover all the bases and appeal to the broadest customer base you should offer multiple sizes.

Whether or not there is a business case for that and whether it makes sense for Ford to pursue that right now is a different question.

Yep, next generation F-150 a bit smaller that just may garner a larger audience than now, and the Super Duty Series for those who want to plow snow, carry huge trailers, do extensive landscaping commercialy, and so on like now. The present F-150 has morphed into this giant pickup that many don't need, and if they need something that capable, move up to Super Duty. With Crew Cab, even a mid sized pickup gets awfully big and takes up big footprint. Pickups nowadays are so obtrusive in the extreme. I can't believe most buyers use the capability. The one's I know don't and for the one time every few years they do need it, it would be cheaper to rent truck from Home Depot.

.................I can't believe most buyers use the capability. The one's I know don't and for the one time every few years they do need it, it would be cheaper to rent truck from Home Depot.

FB, good observation and comment.

Northern lower Michigan has a lot of GM retirees who, for some reason, all drive full-sized Chevy pickups. Outside of spending one day in the woods each November to go deer hunting, and the five times they engage their 4WD in the winter, their pickup trucks spend the rest of the time parked in their driveway or a Meijer's parking lot. Talk about a waste of $30,000.