Lincoln sporty coupe?

Are there any plans or rumors of plans for a Lincoln sports coupe based on the new Mustang chassis?

I think done right, it could be a huge winner.

I'd sure like to START one :shades:

imho, if Fomoco wanted to, they could bring out an approx 3-series-sized Lincoln sportsedan and coupe-cabrio based on the nextgen Mustang platform BEFORE the April 2014cy Mustang intro.

(build up a moderate supply of 2014my Mustangs before closing down the line for retooling - doubt the end-of-run demand will all that great - esp after the autoshow/web debut)

I'd sure like to START one :shades:

imho, if Fomoco wanted to, they could bring out an approx 3-series-sized Lincoln sportsedan and coupe-cabrio based on the nextgen Mustang platform BEFORE the April 2014cy Mustang intro.

(build up a moderate supply of 2014my Mustangs before closing down the line for retooling - doubt the end-of-run demand will all that great - esp after the autoshow/web debut)

A Lincoln MKZ Sports package or some such name. Drop in the 3.5EB drivetrain, a 6 speed option, upgrade the suspension a bit and some restyling bits for less bling and more sport. Really think this could be a winning package. No reason a 3.5EB AWD MKZ could not hold its own against an M3 with a bit of work on Lincoln's part. Its the type of new image Lincoln will need to chase a bit younger client.

If the rumors of a baby 2.7V6 are true, I see an EB version of that heading into the MKZ before the 3.5EB. If the rumored power levels are true, the 2.7EB will be way enough power and still get good mileage.

gc-smiley-sign-i-agree.gif

upto-350hp Nano 2.7EB should be the Z's top engine

whereas the Mustang co-platformed Lincoln could also compete with the 6-series and oughta have a 5.0EB for top powerplant...with maybe TWICE the Nano's HP

...No reason a 3.5EB AWD MKZ could not hold its own against an M3 with a bit of work on Lincoln's part. Its the type of new image Lincoln will need to chase a bit younger client.

except that the Z is 5-series sized

measure.gif

Edited by 2b2

I don't see any Lincoln sport coupe or Ford T-Bird while Mulally runs things. Maybe under Fields if he takes over in a few years. Not sure if he is a gear head, but probably more of one than Mulally and more likely to green light new sporty car from some gear head faction within the company. Whoever takes over from Mulally will have more development money to play with and austerity won't rule as it did throughout Mulally years. With only two brands to worry about, time to take a little risk and bring some big league excitment to the loyalists and even some sitting on fence,

I would love to see Lincoln compete with the sporty Cadys and Bimmers. But that is just my wishful thinking.

Heck, they really haven't any idea what to do to replace the Town Car in the limo biz. You would have thought

that they would have real replacements for the Crown Vic Interceptor and Town Car Limo before they stopped

making them.

I would love to see Lincoln compete with the sporty Cadys and Bimmers. But that is just my wishful thinking.

Heck, they really haven't any idea what to do to replace the Town Car in the limo biz. You would have thought

that they would have real replacements for the Crown Vic Interceptor and Town Car Limo before they stopped

making them.

I would say that the 2013 EB MKS with CCD suspension is about as "sporty" as Lincoln gets and good enough right now considering where Lincoln is at the moment. Maybe later once the Lincoln lineup is rounded out assuming its back on solid footing and needs more excitement. The new EB MKZ retuned for Lincoln should be a decent "sporty" car for now.

making them.

The new PI and PIUs seem to be well received so far and developing them was infinitely cheaper than keeping the CV around and updating it and keeping STAP open. And who really cares about the limo business?

What I find ironic is that on everything has been mentioned about the MKZ, NOTHING much has been mentioned about it's driveability. Its the roof, the interior materials, the toys, clothing, modeling, traveling, window shopping, expensive coffee, lounging and luxuriating, but NOTHING about how it drives...so I'm not expecting any sportiness from that vehicle.

but NOTHING about how it drives...so I'm not expecting any sportiness from that vehicle.

Doesn't the car come with an electronically controlled suspension? I'm assuming it can go from plush to sporty at the setting of a switch...and its hard to judge handling on a car till its driven.

Doesn't the car come with an electronically controlled suspension? I'm assuming it can go from plush to sporty at the setting of a switch...and its hard to judge handling on a car till its driven.

Yes, and the reviews of the 2013 MKS with its active suspension have been really positive. The lighter MKZ should be even more nimble. :)

I'm not talking about reviews because obviously they are not out yet!! Before products are released, if the vehicle has SOME sporty aspirations, they will discuss numerous things done for the sake of roadability. Even with the Taurus we kept reading about all the smaller details they did to enhance/improve upon the regular Taurus experience. Even with the Escape, we had more details about what the driving experience would be like. In the the MKZ, all mentioned was the computer controlled suspension, thats it.

I don't see any Lincoln sport coupe or Ford T-Bird while Mulally runs things. Maybe under Fields if he takes over in a few years. Not sure if he is a gear head, but probably more of one than Mulally and more likely to green light new sporty car from some gear head faction within the company. Whoever takes over from Mulally will have more development money to play with and austerity won't rule as it did throughout Mulally years. With only two brands to worry about, time to take a little risk and bring some big league excitment to the loyalists and even some sitting on fence,

Yeah, because we haven't seen the birth of a 662 horsepower Mustang, SVT Raptor, Taurus SHO, and Focus/Fiesta ST under Mulally's stewardship or anything. Mulally will go for a niche product if a business case can be made for it. It's really that simple. We should all hope Mark Fields (or whoever follows him) runs the ship just as tightly.

Your interpretation of "austerity" is seen by me more as simply being good business sense. You don't go throwing money at holes in the ground and pray something grows.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 2

I don't see.............

Enough said!

Nobody but the folks at Lincoln (note I didn't say Ford) know. You don't know anything, and neither do I.

Another Penguin Award? This topic went from a rumor/plan Lincoln coupe to Mulally being a car guy or not. Thankfully no mention of your Porsche this time.

Ford builds great Utilities, Lincoln should be using more of them from Escape, through to MKX ot a new Aviator and upgraded Navigator.

Those vehicles have more chance of changing the perception of Lincoln and increasing sales than any halo cars ever will.

What I find ironic is that on everything has been mentioned about the MKZ, NOTHING much has been mentioned about it's driveability. Its the roof, the interior materials, the toys, clothing, modeling, traveling, window shopping, expensive coffee, lounging and luxuriating, but NOTHING about how it drives...so I'm not expecting any sportiness from that vehicle.

I'm hoping that the driveability/HANDLING will be like a punchline TOPPING all the Lux-&-Tech when the new Z (finally) comes out

..."REALLY Drive One"...?

otoh

imho there isn't near enough hype for the mce'd MKS's new prowess

another^ case of my frustration with the way the Lincoln "story" is being told

• Like 1