Ford Focus Fix for Transmission Shift Issues

blown04cobra

I'm surprised there is no class-action lawsuit? I personally know 3 people who were able to get their Focus repurchased under the lemon law because the problem is largely unfixable since the myth is that it's just a software issue. Essentially once the system begins to fail it can never be properly fixed and the entire transmission needs to be exchanged for the revised model...which Ford won't do because it's a $5K job and would rather keep patching it until the warranty is up. Once the warranty period ends I suspect most owners will just surrender these cars to the scrap yard once they start getting the repair bills.

It's actually surprising to me that people aren't aware of this problem with so many used Focuses now appearing on the lots. These are cars to avoid like the plague, they drove Ford to the lowest quality ranking in the industry because the problem is so widespread. Oddly nobody seems to know about it except us car guys.

Once you are into the 2015 models I believe the dependability issues are resolved and the transmission isn't as self-destructive.

Edited by BORG

I'm surprised there is no class-action lawsuit? I personally know 3 people who were able to get their Focus repurchased under the lemon law because the problem is largely unfixable since the myth is that it's just a software issue. Essentially once the system begins to fail it can never be properly fixed and the entire transmission needs to be exchanged for the revised model...which Ford won't do because it's a $5K job and would rather keep patching it until the warranty is up. Once the warranty period ends I suspect most owners will just surrender these cars to the scrap yard once they start getting the repair bills.

It's actually surprising to me that people aren't aware of this problem with so many used Focuses now appearing on the lots. These are cars to avoid like the plague, they drove Ford to the lowest quality ranking in the industry because the problem is so widespread. Oddly nobody seems to know about it except us car guys.

Once you are into the 2015 models I believe the dependability issues are resolved and the transmission isn't as self-destructive.

LOL " isn't as self-destructive." So it's just a little self-destructive? No wonder Focus sales are going down. I don't understand why Ford doesn't just dump this trans and be done with it. Maybe they don't need the repeat customers?

Edited by coupe3w

BORG - The transmission itself is not the issue. CLUTCH and TCM are. Replacing the transmission will do nothing. The latest service clutch is the same as the late 15 and up model and they basically get the late 15 software. The issues with clutches in the late 15 and up are fewer and further between, BUT the TCM is basically unchanged and will never really be updated. The clutches being installed now are the old design until stock is used up. The failure rate on the updated seals is almost 0. The ones I've seen have been installer error or a missed engine oil leak. Ford released yet another new TSB and cut labor times again (4th pay cut, IIRC), and added a "Repair Validation Code" which has to be gained to get paid for the repair. So.. more work for even less pay.

• Like 2

BORG - The transmission itself is not the issue. CLUTCH and TCM are. Replacing the transmission will do nothing. The latest service clutch is the same as the late 15 and up model and they basically get the late 15 software. The issues with clutches in the late 15 and up are fewer and further between, BUT the TCM is basically unchanged and will never really be updated. The clutches being installed now are the old design until stock is used up. The failure rate on the updated seals is almost 0. The ones I've seen have been installer error or a missed engine oil leak. Ford released yet another new TSB and cut labor times again (4th pay cut, IIRC), and added a "Repair Validation Code" which has to be gained to get paid for the repair. So.. more work for even less pay.

What he said!!!

But now the actuators, and shift forks are going south on these units, or at least that is what the owners are being told by the service techs, and these bits are not covered under the extended warranty.

Dual dry clutch transmissions killer is heat.

List price for a clutch and apply bearing should be around $1500 installed in my area. The two clutch actuator levers are around $200 each once the clutch is out. So say you destroy everything in the bellhousing, you're looking just under $2k.

Internal trans repair (forks, clockworks, etc.) is, of course, more. If there is a lot of damage internally, it would be cheaper to get a boneyard unit. There are a ton of them in my area for $600-$900.

• Like 1