Ford Focus Fix for Transmission Shift Issues

blown04cobra

Sorry about the incorrect spelling, Yes, I am referring to the shuddering issues with our transmission, No I did not get this at Home depot, it was a free option from Ford

Thank you for the suggestion to "get on it" to try to clean to clean the clutches, I will try that this weekend,

Is this a problem that everybody has with their Focus?

Has anybody ever had this issue resolved or do you just learn to live with it?

Depending on when your clutch was replaced, you may have gotten a "C" suffix clutch. They are complete chit. The latest program just adds a new DTC for internal TCM failure, there is no real difference between it and the last one. It has to shudder over 250 RPM for us to replace the clutch. And yes, as many have said, once in while you need to beat it like a red headed step child.

Edited by YT90SC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the software update did not take care of the problem. Contacted Ford Customer Service - no help at all, very upsetting, we were told that we need to take it back for another update, said it was there a month ago. We did take it back and left with a new 2016 Escape. Dealership was GREAT and was very willing to work with us on this problem....

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the incorrect spelling, Yes, I am referring to the shuddering issues with our transmission, No I did not get this at Home depot, it was a free option from Ford

Thank you for the suggestion to "get on it" to try to clean to clean the clutches, I will try that this weekend,

Is this a problem that everybody has with their Focus?

Has anybody ever had this issue resolved or do you just learn to live with it?

My daughter has a 2013 Focus. I drove it recently and could not believe how poorly is shifted. A great deal of hesitation when accelerating. Took it to the dealer and all they would do was "reset" the transmission. I've read that this is a known issue w/these vehicles. Hopefully the reset will resolve the issue. My guess is the dealers have to perform the repairs in a certain sequence in order to reduce costs. Pretty sad.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted like back in May about my 2014 Focus. I called my dealership and they ordered the clutch packs. I still did not have them in September. I finally called corporate office. Told them about my waiting so long. I had parts within 3 days and car in shop in 2 days. I finally got it back k. Ive been driving it for about 1 month. Seems to be working OK. I hope it continues. My warranty was up when they finally came through. Did not have to pay a dime. If it does not work I will be contacting Corporate first thing.

Recently bought a 2013 focus se and have been having the same problems as everyone else. took it back to dealer,tech drove it and said it was"within Ford specs". Made an appt. and once in...they had to pull trans, and did the "2 cans of brake cleaner" job on the contaminated clutches and replaced the leaking imput shaft seal...i am sure with another OLD # seal....which is now leaking again within a month..OH, and the "latest flash on the TCM" this is the 4TH time it will be having the same procedure done. why cant FORD just step up to the plate and just replace the trans and clutches and allow their CUSTOMERS to enjoy and be SAFE in their vehicle. Hey Ford...fix it...or buy it back. we know you've been working on this for a while now, problems,complaints, Lawsuits...etc ! JUST DO IT !!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My 2014 Automatic Focus SE has suddenly become a nightmare. clutch shuddering and slipping in low gear or accelerating from slow speed (think slow down in traffic and no engagement when accelerate like a manual in too high of gear). dealership says need new clutch. ordered (takes 3 + weeks). Before clutch arrives, no power, not engaging, etc issues. Told is TCM. They replace clutch and TCM. FIRST DAY I drive the car (15 minutes into my day) EXACT same thing happens as before TCM is replaced... ARGH!!!. Getting "transmission overheating..." warning on dash (same as before) and computer wont let car go over about 15 mph. Says pull over and let cool. do that and then 5 min later does it again...

Ok they have the car again for 5 days. I get a call saying "fork(s)" are damaged (bent?)..... dont know what that means. Actually re listened to message. problem is "Clutch release actuator lever", but FORD wont cover it/them... what? why?

• 2 months later...

We had the TCM issue with our Ford Focus and it has been in three times so far for repairs related to it. Our 2013 Ford Focus is now in for the 4th (maybe more) time. The last time we took it in, Gwinnett Place Ford kept the car for over a month and returned it to us in a condition that was not road worthy. The car would not even start when they released it to me and I had to have a service advisor come take a look at it and take it back to the back to get it running. They then brought the car back out and before I was even two miles from the dealership I was broke down. Gwinnett Place finally fixed it for what we thought the last time. However here we are a few months down the road and the Focus started exhibiting the same symptoms as it did previously (shuddering, no start, stuck in gear, hard shifts, no shifts, etc) and one new symptom (transmission hot - please don't drive for 5 minutes). We ended up having to have the vehicle towed to Gwinnett Place Ford where at the time of writing this post it still sits. Gwinnett Place Ford told us that because of the warning related to the transmission overheating / hot that it was not the fault of the TCM and that it would not be covered under the warranty. They seemed very sure of this even though they had not inspected the vehicle yet. Upon inspection we were told by Mike Coody at Gwinnett Place Ford that the issue was the shift actuator and not the transmission control module and that the price to get it fixed is $2500!!! That seems extremely expensive for a repair for a part of the transmission. Can anyone here help us with this or has anyone else had any similar circumstances?

We had the TCM issue with our Ford Focus and it has been in three times so far for repairs related to it. Our 2013 Ford Focus is now in for the 4th (maybe more) time. The last time we took it in, Gwinnett Place Ford kept the car for over a month and returned it to us in a condition that was not road worthy. The car would not even start when they released it to me and I had to have a service advisor come take a look at it and take it back to the back to get it running. They then brought the car back out and before I was even two miles from the dealership I was broke down. Gwinnett Place finally fixed it for what we thought the last time. However here we are a few months down the road and the Focus started exhibiting the same symptoms as it did previously (shuddering, no start, stuck in gear, hard shifts, no shifts, etc) and one new symptom (transmission hot - please don't drive for 5 minutes). We ended up having to have the vehicle towed to Gwinnett Place Ford where at the time of writing this post it still sits. Gwinnett Place Ford told us that because of the warning related to the transmission overheating / hot that it was not the fault of the TCM and that it would not be covered under the warranty. They seemed very sure of this even though they had not inspected the vehicle yet. Upon inspection we were told by Mike Coody at Gwinnett Place Ford that the issue was the shift actuator and not the transmission control module and that the price to get it fixed is $2500!!! That seems extremely expensive for a repair for a part of the transmission. Can anyone here help us with this or has anyone else had any similar circumstances?

Verbatim via Mike Coody at Gwinnett Place Ford - "shift actuator is stuck and is not letting the clutch engage"... I just got off the phone with Mike at Gwinnett Place Ford and was told that the shift actuator has nothing to do with the Transmission Control Module and therefore it is not covered under the warranty. He couldn't tell me where the shift actuator was located or how it works. I reiterated that we were having the same issues as before when they replaced the TCM and he said that the shift actuator can cause all of those same issues (shuddering, no start, stuck in gear, slipping while in gear, high revving, etc)...

• 1 month later...

Verbatim via Mike Coody at Gwinnett Place Ford - "shift actuator is stuck and is not letting the clutch engage"... I just got off the phone with Mike at Gwinnett Place Ford and was told that the shift actuator has nothing to do with the Transmission Control Module and therefore it is not covered under the warranty. He couldn't tell me where the shift actuator was located or how it works. I reiterated that we were having the same issues as before when they replaced the TCM and he said that the shift actuator can cause all of those same issues (shuddering, no start, stuck in gear, slipping while in gear, high revving, etc)...

I just read from another person going through this with Ford, saying at 1st the Tech's said the fault was with the "shift actuator" which as far as I understand is part of the TCM and cannot be serviced separately. In other words if the TCM is replaced the "shift actuator" are replaced as well.

With more questioning on the matter from the customer, the Tech's are now saying the fault is with the "Clutch Actuators".

Sounds like fun eh.

Hey guys, anybody who knows me knows I'm a pro-ford "fanboy". That said...wife bought a 2013 focus with the stupid dual clutch crap, after 51,000km's there was a faint oil leak from the bellhousing and it shudders going into 2nd gear. Took it in under warranty and they replaced the tranny input seal, replaced the clutches, everything is great.....now it's a year later and it's got around 90,000 and it's doing the exact same thing. Add to it, when it rains the "thumb print" thing on the door to lock it doesn't work and the rear hatch must be clicked twice to open as the first time it unlocks and grabs as if the actuator is out of adjustment. So, have an appointment for the 29th of April to get everything looked at but NOT IMPRESSED!

Also have a 2013 edge that has been flawless since we got it, but this focus really pisses me off. I didn't like it from the first time I drove it, tried to torque it up to see if it was any good from drag racing and with the brakes on, the gas peddle does nothing....either gimme a standard or gimme an auto, not this standard with a computer controlled clutch because I'm braindead!

More I think about it the more I hate that car, lucky the wife likes it/drives it.

Ford has to come up with a cure for this pos tranny!

I think this has been my first EVER negative post about ford...on any forum....

Edited by goinbroke2

Ford has to come up with a cure for this pos tranny!

Not really, it will get swept under the rug with the next generation Focus. The Explorer had some major transmission issues back in 2002 and the Mustang 6 Speed gets flak from some people, but has it affected sales in the grand scheme of things? Doesn't seem so.

Ford has been pretty stubborn about this transmission and they basically surrendered the compact market in the US because of it. I'm pretty convinced they are learning the same mistakes all over again with this global Focus in the US. This is just a car they can't make work here and they have been wildly inconsistent about it's execution and quality. Hopefully the next generation takes a very different approach. Roomier, safer, more refined, better value, better quality, and more focus on US consumer expectations. It's clear the Focus was designed with very little input for the US consumer and I'm sure One Ford is to blame. To be really successful you probably can't produce the same car for Europe and the US. I'm sure Ford is willing to write most of this off as unimportant to their bottom-line in the US anyway.

Edited by BORG

. This is just a car they can't make work here and they have been wildly inconsistent about it's execution and quality. Hopefully the next generation takes a very different approach.

Then why did this Focus model have higher yearly sales then the previous Focus?

It is a shame that Ford USA decided to stick it out with the troublesome Powershift transmission. Even with this handicap, you have to admit that the MK3 Focus USA sales remaining higher then the previous is quite a feat.

Then why did this Focus model have higher yearly sales then the previous Focus?

It is a shame that Ford USA decided to stick it out with the troublesome Powershift transmission. Even with this handicap, you have to admit that the MK3 Focus USA sales remaining higher then the previous is quite a feat.

High gas prices (at least until the last quarter of 2014) helped a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Well since the latest fix it's been ok...Fordtech, drive it hard helps eh? Sounds good to me, you might get a call from my wife though! LOL!

(seriously dear, it was suggested on a ford forum.....)

Getting rid of the edge, I want a truck, can't believe it's been 6-8 months without one....Can't wait for the diesel f150 to come out so I'll probably swap for a 2011-13 truck. (with 8ft box!!!!!! pet peeve all these useless trucks with 5ft boxes, dumbasses are driving a car with an open trunk!)

• 3 months later...

2013 focus SE- DPS6 trans ...bought used about 1yr. ago. NOTHING but trouble since day one. Oil seal leaking fluid onto clutch plates....repaired 4 times ( which means, new(bad) seal and spray the plates with 2 cans brake cleaner) yeah, a real pro fix !! Have had the TCM,PCM re-fleshed,latest software and NO change or very little change for about a day or two. 8-24-16 had the NEW clutch pkg. installed cause the readings were off the charts, and it took away the shudder........FOR ONE WEEK !! Car had no power and sounded like I lost the muffler.

Shudder came back and while driving on the highway with a tractor trailer right behind me.....the TCM quit ! Lost ALL power. The only reason I'm still alive is from some quick thinking and driving down the shoulder avoiding detour sign's along the way.

I am totally aware of ALL the problems with this car....but, what really bother's me the most is that NO ONE from my dealer or FORD has sent any warranty info,recall info, TSB info,service recall info. ETC. Very bad on their part,I've owned ford's all my life but, this will probably be my last.

Anyway....fix for shift issues....there really are none !!