Ford Focus Fix for Transmission Shift Issues

blown04cobra

I talked a guy into buying a 2014 Focus. Today he comes in late to work. His car is in the shop with only 4000 miles on it and the transmission light came on. He stopped the car and it wouldn't go into reverse. He drove it to a parking lot to check it and then all was fine with it. It is doing the shutter thing sometimes though. I thought they fixed this? Guess not. He's a little ticked off, I can't blame him. i think Ford has some real quality issues that must be fixed and quick.

Edited by coupe3w
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well my car is doing some weird stuff again after this latest clutch pack install. Its probably been about 5,000 miles and on Sunday I was driving it and my wife said "you're going to have to do something with this car" "Its still acting up and something needs to be done". From a stop I felt it. Now what it does is when you go to accelerate away from a stop, the clutches just slip. There's a weird little noise and you go no where. Then it'll grab and she'll take off. There's also the occasional weird shift mishap that has always been there as well. I believe I won't have the car much longer. I'm going to go full court press on Ford to buy this car back. I can't be dealing with this.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my car is doing some weird stuff again after this latest clutch pack install. Its probably been about 5,000 miles and on Sunday I was driving it and my wife said "you're going to have to do something with this car" "Its still acting up and something needs to be done". From a stop I felt it. Now what it does is when you go to accelerate away from a stop, the clutches just slip. There's a weird little noise and you go no where. Then it'll grab and she'll take off. There's also the occasional weird shift mishap that has always been there as well. I believe I won't have the car much longer. I'm going to go full court press on Ford to buy this car back. I can't be dealing with this.

Taking my car in tonight. Trading in on a 2014 Escape Titanium. Taking a bath but Ford customer service wouldn't hear about buying the car back. They wanted me to take it in again. The wife is too soured on this thing now and so am I. Buyer beware. The DCT is a total failure in my opinion. These cars won't be worth $10 in 5 more years.

Yes, I got a used 2014 Titanium with the 2.0 power train. Its really really nice. Very happy with the exception of the bath we took on the Focus.

Congratulations on your new vehicle, 97svtgoin05gt! I hope your ownership experience with the Escape is much more pleasant.

It's no wonder that resale value of the current generation Focus is so low. Subpar reliability and design flaws make this model a poor value. The copious sales incentives Ford is currently offering on the car do not improve matters.

• 2 months later...

I purchased my 2014 Ford Focus in June 2014 and it had started to jerk and shift funny. I had no idea what was wrong. I have owned Fords for many many years and have always loved them. We even have a 1968 Ford Fairlane that we race. That is all we have owned. I hate that this is happening to me. I have had the Tranny re programmed. That did not work so the dealership is ordering Clutch packs for my transmission. I hope this works. My husband passed away last year and I used my own judgment on purchasing another Ford because he was such a die hard for Fords. I am so upset that this has happened to me. I used what little money I had to make sure I had a good dependable car. If you know if the clutch packs will take care of this problem please let me know I am so worried that I am and will be stuck with this problem.

My care jerks, slips and tries to take off when I am stopped. I know this isnt normal but I could use some help. I hope Ford realizes that many people love their cars and will honor fixing them. I have read many complaints on this matter. Where can I turn to.

I really cant go out and purchase another vehicle my funds will not allow this to happen.

Ford please dont let me down.

Took my 2014 Focus Titanium in today as the shuddering in the low end Automatic gear ranges and shudder/jerks/bumps in acceleration getting worse and more annoying. PCM & TCM were updated to software level 95.01 and relearn performed by the Ford Dealer. Now driving it around the city, idling smoother, low end gear shifts and then acceration much smoother and responsive. Wouldn't say 1st gear is exactly perfect on movement from idle, but certainly much better. Told to give it 1,000kms, as "the car" relearns how I drive.

• 2 weeks later...

The PCM/TCM updates were not enough to correct. Having focused (no pun..) on this issue also noticed the 1st/2nd gear shuddering issue occured more at the end of the day then beginning, so maybe implied a heat and/or usage issue.

Dealer replaced the clutch with the latest P/N for 2012/3/4 models. http://www.oemfordpart.com/oe-ford/bv6z7b546f Already with 20kms, a huge improvement. No more shuddering, tighter up and down shifts in 1st & 2nd, feel it engages more firmly & quicker as you accelerate. Onwards to the 1,000kms relearn.

Thanks Wayne. The dealer has ordered clutch packs for my car but they won't be in till august. So your saying this will help? I hope so mine does same as yours. I just have to wait ugh. I have miles on mine also. I just want it to shift like its suppose too. Glad you got yours taken care of makes me feel better.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I have a 2014 focus with 15,000 miles on it, has lot of transmission shutter. This car has been in the dealership twice for reprogramming, then new clutch and seals, back again for 3rd reprogramming, still shuttering, now they want it back for an another 4th reprogramming. This will be the 5th time this this car has been at the dealership in 15,000 miles. I have owned only Fords and this car has been the biggest disappointment I have ever owned. I'm ashamed to give anybody a ride because of the shuttering, people ask what is wrong with your car, Ford needs to do something about this problem

My wife and I have a 2014 focus with 15,000 miles on it, has lot of transmission shutter. This car has been in the dealership twice for reprogramming, then new clutch and seals, back again for 3rd reprogramming, still shuttering, now they want it back for an another 4th reprogramming. This will be the 5th time this this car has been at the dealership in 15,000 miles. I have owned only Fords and this car has been the biggest disappointment I have ever owned. I'm ashamed to give anybody a ride because of the shuttering, people ask what is wrong with your car, Ford needs to do something about this problem

Did you get your shutters from Home Depot.....or are you referring to a shuddering issue?

• Like 1