2013 Escape Brochure

Looks nice. The product development and marketing folks did a good job.

Unfortunately, this vehicle is not on my list of candidates to replace my current Escape. Why? The powertrain warranty is not even close to leading its class. 5 years / 60,000 mile powertrain warranty means that if the engine experiences a catastrophic failure at 37 months / 65,000 miles of ownership, the owner, not Ford, is footing the bill for repair.

Remember, folks, that the EcoBoost line of engines is only a couple of years old. Even Consumer Reports does not have enough data to predict the reliability of this 'new' engine technology. Turbocharging = high stress. High stress = problems. Low warranty coverage = Customer pays when it breaks.

"It won't happen to me"? Well, my Duratech engine - technolgy proven over at least a decade, experienced a 'catastrophic engine failure' at 37 months / 65,000 mile of ownership. "That's too bad", said Ford. "$7,000, please."

Ford, if you are committed to the technology, and believe your products have a competitive advantage, then belly up to the bar. Increase your powertrain warranty to, say, 5 years / 100,000 miles. Or 10 years / 100,000 miles. Matching a competitor's warranty would level the playing field and get me to reconsider an Eacape versus, say, an Equinox or a Santa Fe. After all, saving 4 or 5 MPG only makes sense if you don't have to replace a $7,000 engine every 37 months or so.

This is the 3rd or 4th thread you have posted in about your engine failure and how Ford needs to extend their warranty. Instead of trolling threads, why don't you start your own thread to discuss your displeasure with Ford or write them or call them directly.

Ecoboost has been proven in their trucks and the 2.0 going in this vehicle has been in the Edge and Explorer for a year. There was intensive testing over the globe on all Ecoboost motors--Ford isn't going to risk having issues in the volume of vehicles these are going in.

Sounds like if you want a longer warranty, and don't care about the leading edge technology or the new products Ford is putting out, you could look at one of the foreign automakers with their 100K warranty. Good luck getting coverage on the air conditiioning (and other items) over 36K, or coverage at all if you aren't the original owner. Alot of asterick marks in their warranties.

"It won't happen to me"? Well, my Duratech engine - technolgy proven over at least a decade, experienced a 'catastrophic engine failure' at 37 months / 65,000 mile of ownership. "That's too bad", said Ford. "$7,000, please."

As you drive almost 1800 miles a month, you knew beforehand what the warranty stated and had the ability to get an extended warranty. We got 100k warranties with our chargers because the company wanted back into the LE market in a big way and needed the hook.

Turbo technology is FAR from new. In fact it's vastly improved since my first turbo motor back in the mid 80's Oner failure isn't a trend as the motor you commented on has been fairly trouble free. Either way, who knows the maintence it received. I've seen some try to get extended time between oil changes to save a buck. It happens.

Well, he has 21 posts, all with the same message.

Time for the moderator to exercise some " moderating " skills?

Well stated. Going off on a personal crusade bashing Ford products at EVERY opportunity gets old after awhile. I had a 2003 Escape XLT with V6 and 4 speed auto that developed the well known "shudder". In fact, I flushed the tranny fluid and still had the "shudder".

I could get on here and bash Ford but I don't.

If you dislike Ford products that much, buy something else.

Edited by cbramsey5898

I don't know where to find the data, but I am very interested in the cargo space of the 2013 versus the 2012. Not just cubic feet, but rear opening dimensions, minimum cargo height (that slopeing rear roof concerns me) as well as width and length.

Just Google 2013 Ford Escape Technical Specifications and you will find the tech specs.

Until they reach dealerships, you'll probably have to wait for the other measurements, but here's what the technical spec sheets state on volume:

Passenger volume:

2012 99.4 cu ft

2013 98.1

Cargo behind first row:

2012 67.2 cu ft

2013 68.1

2nd row:

2012 31.4 cu ft

2013 34.3

Edited by transitman

• 1 month later...

I like this eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-FORD-ALL-NEW-ESCAPE-SUV-COLOR-BROCHURE-CATALOG-Prospekt-/221075460182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33791fd056#ht_500wt_1203

...especially the description:

VERY NICE ALL NEW FOR 2013 FORD ESCAPE LARGE COLOR SALES CATALOG!!! EXCELLENT AS NEW CONDITION!!! BEAUTIFUL ILLUSTRATIONS!!! ORIGINAL NOT A REPRINT! HARD TO FIND! GREAT TO SHOW WITH YOUR VINTAGE RIDE!

• 3 weeks later...

>>>>Consumer Reports does not have enough data to predict the reliability of this 'new' engine technology.

That's inaccurate information. The Eco-Boost motors are some of the most thoroughly and rigorously tested ever to be put in a vehicle. I got interested in them kind of by accident. I spent years doing motorcycle test riding and got an e-mail from an engineer friend one day. He told me that he couldn't share the details but his firm had been contracted to do the mandated HVN testing on the Eco-Boost motor and that, during the time they were doing the testing, his entire staff was amazed with the motor. I may opt for the extended warranty but I have no hesitation in trading in my 2012 Focus Titanium (with every available option) on a similarly equipped 2013 Escape that is being built today and delivered 9/6/12,

I am eager to see how the experience is but my sense is that Ford has hit one out of the park.

P.S. - Does anyone know precisely what is included in the "Trailer Tow Prep Package"? I am picking the vehicle up half way across the county and need to haul 2 motorcycles back to NYC. I'm wondering what wiring comes in place and what needs to be done . . ditto for the hitch. I am hoping all I need is a 2" ball.

>>>>Consumer Reports does not have enough data to predict the reliability of this 'new' engine technology.

That's inaccurate information. The Eco-Boost motors are some of the most thoroughly and rigorously tested ever to be put in a vehicle. I got interested in them kind of by accident. I spent years doing motorcycle test riding and got an e-mail from an engineer friend one day. He told me that he couldn't share the details but his firm had been contracted to do the mandated HVN testing on the Eco-Boost motor and that, during the time they were doing the testing, his entire staff was amazed with the motor. I may opt for the extended warranty but I have no hesitation in trading in my 2012 Focus Titanium (with every available option) on a similarly equipped 2013 Escape that is being built today and delivered 9/6/12,

I am eager to see how the experience is but my sense is that Ford has hit one out of the park.

P.S. - Does anyone know precisely what is included in the "Trailer Tow Prep Package"? I am picking the vehicle up half way across the county and need to haul 2 motorcycles back to NYC. I'm wondering what wiring comes in place and what needs to be done . . ditto for the hitch. I am hoping all I need is a 2" ball.

I think trailer tow prep only includes the wiring harness and possibly the tranny cooler.

I ordered the trailer tow package on my 2013 Titanium. It gave me a 2" hitch and a 4 pin lighting connector on the rear bumper. Came with everything but the ball that I would need to pull a trailer. Haven't tried it with a trailer yet but have used a 2" hitch mount bike rack several times already.

I ordered the trailer tow package on my 2013 Titanium. It gave me a 2" hitch and a 4 pin lighting connector on the rear bumper. Came with everything but the ball that I would need to pull a trailer. Haven't tried it with a trailer yet but have used a 2" hitch mount bike rack several times already.

Trailer tow should give you the hitch and everything except the ball. Trailer tow PREP only gives you the wiring and the tranny cooler IIRC.

>>>>>have used a 2" hitch mount bike rack several times already.

Tell me about the bike rack.

I've never used on and have been looking at a Thule Swing-Away

Any info wold help. This was one of the motivators to jump from Focus to Escape, after trying to shoehorn a mountain bike into the back of a Focus (no can do)

>>>>>have used a 2" hitch mount bike rack several times already.

Tell me about the bike rack.

I've never used on and have been looking at a Thule Swing-Away

Any info wold help. This was one of the motivators to jump from Focus to Escape, after trying to shoehorn a mountain bike into the back of a Focus (no can do)

I have one although I've only used it a couple of times. They work great, especially the swing away models so you can open the rear without removing the bikes or the rack.

Yes, swing away is key. Mine ALMOST clears the lift gate in the up position but it would be hard to load anything even if it did clear if you couldn't drop it out of the way. I have an older style that holds three bikes. It's great for me but a lot of the newer ones can load/unload the bikes faster. Mine has a plate on two 4" hand screws that hold the bikes in place. I picked mine up used for cheap so I can't complain. Sure easier than trying to stuff a bike inside - and I can still seat five.

If you don't have a hitch, most of the bike racks are for 1 1/4" receivers but come with a 2" adapter. If all you want the hitch for is bikes, you could go with the generally cheaper smaller size. You should also be able to get a hitch for a Focus although I wouldn't use it for anything but bikes.