Did Ford change the color mix on Tuxedo Black for 2013

I am curious if any Ford paint experts would know if Tuxedo Black changed its mix for 2013. I have looked at the Tuxedo Black which is on the Fusion and F-Series and Taurus prior to 2013 and they contain a goldish metallic mix that seemed to make the car look "dusty"! When I picked up my 2013 Taurus Limited with Tuxedo black I noticed the black as darker and deeper with virtually no goldish metallic mix but instead a silverish mix...but much less noticeable. I had others Ford enthusiasts tell me they also noticed a deeper , richer black. I'm just curious...but more importantly...I am very happy with the apparent darker , less dusty look. (How long do I wait till the paint settles before I can put a nice ICE Liquid Wax coat on it?)

My 1998 Mustang GT was Dark Green Satin...almost looked back. Look great clean..but otherwise looked like a polished turd otherwise.

Mine was an '84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. Black with a red pin stripe on the bumpers and side mouldings. Beautiful when it was just washed. 5 minutes after i finished, the dust would settle on it and it lost the glossy shine. Also any mark or door ding looked twice the size.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

bobbyd, the Tuxedo Black paint on your 2013 Taurus has the same paint code (UH) as in previous model years. As such, the composition should be the same. Your observations of the same color on other Ford vehicles comport with the level of variation inherent to painted surfaces on automobiles, especially a pearlescent or metallic like Tuxedo Black.

And yes, go ahead and use ICE Liquid Polish on your new Taurus if you'd like! By the time you took delivery, the factory applied paint has "settled" so there's no need to wait.

I've had three black cars: 62 Corvair, 86 Taurus, 96 Mark VIII.

A few things I've learned to do:

1) Blow out the door jams, trunk, mirror housings, etc. with air after a wash (some car washes do this) AND

2) Use an Absorber or similar, it's an imitation chamois that is kept damp in a tube. It's great for wiping off water streaks on a black car.

3) Kept a good layer of wax on it.

I also noticed that GM uses that black metallic mix. Not sure why the solid black (Like with the Mustang)is not used, but there must be a reason since Ford is not alone.

Timmm55..thanks for your input about drying the car. I would really like to use those motorcycle heated blowers that have the narrow nozzles to blow the water from seams and difficult areas. I priced them at well over $300! I do use a 24x40 drying towel (microfiber). Great deals on 'Auto-Barn'. Its so much better than bath towels. No lint...better absorption. Just finished polishing/waxing the Taurus for the first time. I just love the new Ice Premium Care Liquid Wax. Wax on..wax off! No powdery white residue...even on the flat black trim that surrounds the lower portion of the car. I bought the Gliptone buffing microfibre towels since they have a 70% polyester and 30% polyamide surface. The vast majority of microfibre buffing towels are 80% polyester..20% polyamide. Too much polyester for me.

Edited by bobbyd

I have a concern about "blowing out the water" from the seams, jams, mirors etc... after rinsing the car. I spotted a great compact air blower on Amazon (JND)for under $40 and it has a max 200 mph . My concern is "Will it affect the seams or possibly blow out any sealed moldings" due to the high force of air? Keep in mind I will take care NOT to hold it directly or too close...but still would like opinions. Again, I believe the compact blower really alleviates those pesky , continuous drips after a rinse that seem to drip, drip, drip...plus the lightweight 3 lbs blower gets into spots where water will sit no matter how many towels you use to dry it. Hey, for under $40 it saves me from staring up my cumbersome heavy leaf blower which will sooner or later bang the car. I need encouragement! Can I get an "AMEN!?"

I've had three black cars: 62 Corvair, 86 Taurus, 96 Mark VIII.

A few things I've learned to do:

1) Blow out the door jams, trunk, mirror housings, etc. with air after a wash (some car washes do this) AND

2) Use an Absorber or similar, it's an imitation chamois that is kept damp in a tube. It's great for wiping off water streaks on a black car.

3) Kept a good layer of wax on it.