F-150 Ecoboost shutter?

Last thing I heard from our Field service engineer, the CAC is working too well, causing condensation inside the air intake tube. So mainly after a steady cruise then exiting insterstate, engine can surge or miss for a few seconds as it injests the water. Ford has a reprogram for it to help, but I figure a different repair is in the works. Possibly a new CAC or something to the effect.

• Like 1

I have an F150 ecoboost. I love it especially the power when I step on it. Pulls a load real well too. One thing that has happened only once but surprised me. I was pulling a loaded up but under the truck capacity cargo trailer and accelerating under fairly heavy throttle to freeway speed. It briefly sputtered for a few seconds where I let off on the throttle somewhat. It then accelerated okay. Only has happened the once and will take in for questioning should it occur again. Possibly the problem as in thread?

Edited by T-bird

I will not purchase another vehicle with an intercooler (Eco Boost) again, unless I am thoroughly convinced it can operate and function correctly where the dew point equals the ambient air temperature for “hours” at a time. That type of driving condition is normal for SE Texas from 3AM to 8AM better than 50% of the time for at least a couple of hundred miles of driving.

It is very disappointing the total lack of real world testing for the F150 EcoBoost. It is completely inexcusable the engineers missed this.

It is even more disappointing that Ford has not advised its Houston dealers as to what is going on concerning this critical issue. None of the dealers have any methods whatsoever to test for this condition.

Edited by HoustonPerson
  • Like 1

It is very disappointing the total lack of real world testing for the F150 EcoBoost. It is completely inexcusable the engineers missed this.

"Total lack of real world testing?" Are you kidding? Do you really think that they ran this combo out there without any "real world" testing? More to the point, do you really think ANY manufacturer does (or is even capable of) testing for every possible set of conditions that every single one of their vehicles might possibly face?

There is more to it that that. The shudder is only a small part of the overall problem. Some guys are seeing their MPG drop from when the truck was new. It is supposed to get better with more miles, but some guys are seeing 3-4 MPG drops. Some trucks aren't getting near the EPA highway either. My truck has a shudder taking off from a dead stop that is most noticed when there is about 600+ pounds in the back. Quite noticeable in fact. Best way to describe it is it feel exactly like when you are turning a corner with a stuck TracLok axle and get that jumping going, except that only happens when turning. On mine it happens in a straight line, with a light throttle. Under load up a hill, others are getting the same thing, and I think I have felt it too, but the roads by me are so bad it is hard to distinguish bumps in the road from bumps in the truck. There is one road that is smooth enough and I have felt the truck do the rumble while going up hill in 5th or 6th @40 MPH while trying to maintain speed. Felt like the truck is jerking. I have also felt turbo surging on flat roads with the cruise set @ 55, enough to make anyone who gets motion sickness to hurl.

These are things a new truck should not be doing. Mine has been in once already for these issues, and I was basically told, use Premium in it. I had traded a 2010 Flex EB in for the F150 and I never needed premium in it to get good performance and economy out of it. The differences between the EB in the Flex and F150 are not that great, one has both cams timed, and larger turbos, and is basically maximizing torque, the other is just pumping out power, the differences between HP and torque are not that great either, and the EPA numbers are within 1 MPG of each other. I never had a single problem or issue with the EB in the Flex and it got pretty good mileage considering how I drove it, and I expected similar results with the F150, but the MPG have not been as good as I had hoped for. Currently its averaging 17 mostly highway, and that is on Premium, before that best I saw was 15. With my driving style it should be closer to the 18-19 range on 87. I was seeing 24 in the Flex when I drove it conservatively so its not that much to ask for to see 18-19 driving the F150 the same way.

The Oasis said that the F150 is optimized for best fuel efficiency on Premuim fuel, but the Owners manual says 87 is recommended, and Premium is only recommended for better performance and heavy towing. They sort of contradict each other, I mean if I wanted a vehicle that required 93, just to meet EPA, I would have bought a performance luxury car, after all there are quite a few out there to choose from for the price these trucks go for, you just cant pull a trailer with them.

As it sits now, if I were running on regular 87 and getting the MPG it is currently getting, I would be OK with it, but its on Premium, throw in the shudder and surging, and that's unacceptable, and I sure hope Ford can come up with a fix soon, and not like the Shift Flare problems and Cackle they had on the 99 Superduties. Other than being annoying the cackle I lived with, the shift flare cost me money though that I should not have had to spend at all. I Dont want to fall into that trap again when they find a fix after the warranty is up and it costs thousands to fix because they have to replace the turbos or some other expensive part. The Shift Flare required a new PCM, and new Torque Converter to fix. Thats a couple grand right there.

So you can see why we have the FB page up, even though its a small number of us with issues, its still a big problem that needs to be resolved.

• Like 1

These issues are likely a big problem for those living in certain areas. Therefore the comment that the Eco was "tortured tested" but not properly real world tested. The humidity/air temp correlation problem could be deadly with the condensation choking the engine. The stumbling from the tranny not talking to engine properly has been addressed but the reflashes don't seem to last. Guess all the coils blowing out on one bank or the other are probably a result of folks just trying to push the truck like it was advertised to work.

A host of complaints on different forums. Some owners trying to run their trucks into the ground and trying to make Ford replace the engine and/or tranny while under warranty. Or just come up with something that works. Kind of doubt Ford will get around to that until the warranty goes away. The smart ones are lemon-lawing. Ford seems to come back that all of the above is normal operation for this vehicle and their lawyers may be winning?

Sure don't blame the frustrated owners for being upset with these too expensive trucks and thus the Facebook page. My take - a small V-6 pushed to the limits with dual turbo-charging, advertised for max fuel economy and max towing is in a world of trouble about now. Maybe the high tech electronics just can't take on that challenge with such a too big and too heavy truck.

Of course, I still want the T-6 Ranger to show up. Might consider it with a nice turbo-charged engine, maybe even the 3.5. Sure not going the F-150 way at this point.

• Like 2

Should've had a V8. Ford nails down their problems with diesels only to have new problems reappear on a gas engine. Not just any engine either, an engine that Ford was banking on replacing V8s with. If they don’t step up and fix the issue before people start getting really pissed off, the problems will be way over exaggerated and it will be the 6.0L all over again. Ford needs to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. It doesn't matter whether or not the problem is as big as critics think, it matters how well or how poorly Ford deals with it.

• Like 1

So you can see why we have the FB page up, even though its a small number of us with issues, its still a big problem that needs to be resolved.

Yeah, I can see that. The FB page didn't do a particularly good job of explaining anything like that, IMHO, but FB is such a mess that I don't particularly want to spend a lot of time digging there...

I will not purchase another vehicle with an intercooler (Eco Boost) again, unless I am thoroughly convinced it can operate and function correctly where the dew point equals the ambient air temperature for “hours” at a time. That type of driving condition is normal for SE Texas from 3AM to 8AM better than 50% of the time for at least a couple of hundred miles of driving.

It is even more disappointing that Ford has not advised its Houston dealers as to what is going on concerning this critical issue. None of the dealers have any methods whatsoever to test for this condition.

An intercooler isn't going to cause stumbling problems. There have been issues with sticky wastegates.

• Like 1

In full disclosure, I don't own a F150 with Ecoboost. However, my '02 SuperCrew is getting long in the tooth and have been watching the release of the Ecoboost intently. It is on the horizon for me. Can anybody, with anykind of validity, tell what % of the Ecoboost F150's are having troubles? I'm not downplaying the issues for these folks; it sounds like there are some bugs for sure. That said, if the reported problems are very low ie less than 1/2 of 1%(I'm making that up) it's statistically a non-issue. Just wondering aloud I guess.......

In full disclosure, I don't own a F150 with Ecoboost. However, my '02 SuperCrew is getting long in the tooth and have been watching the release of the Ecoboost intently. It is on the horizon for me. Can anybody, with anykind of validity, tell what % of the Ecoboost F150's are having troubles? I'm not downplaying the issues for these folks; it sounds like there are some bugs for sure. That said, if the reported problems are very low ie less than 1/2 of 1%(I'm making that up) it's statistically a non-issue. Just wondering aloud I guess.......

The problem is real and it is well documented. However with that said; this problem will occur much less often in Kansas than it does in SE Texas. The condensation issue (along with all the problems it creates), has been reported by others in Kansas. It will be entirely dependent upon “your” specific driving situation(s). Specifically, if you will doing steady state driving (constant 60MPH appears to be the worse), for long periods of time (the longer the better) where the dew point equals (or is very close to) ambient air temperature, it will happen every time – no exceptions – period end of story.

That is why I made the statement I made: I will not purchase another EcoBoost until I see Ford get aggressive is testing and solving the problem. And I see an entirely “new” CAC on the engine. Otherwise it does not work for me.

Edited by HoustonPerson

I for one will for certain be buying a new Transit van with the EB motor. As a matter of fact, i wish it were available today.

If you are on the fence, I wouldn't read too into all these so called "EB" problems. There are many things in a vehicle that can cause vibration/shutter, and many of them are not related to the engine or the drivetrain for that matter. People read things about the EB having a shutter problem and they jump on the bandwagon, whether the problem they are experiencing is the one in question or not.

I am not saying that there may not be a learning curve going on with the EB in the F150, and that problems won't be identified and fixed, because it is a man made machine after all. But I do think that you can trust that Ford will be addressing any "real" problems that exist.

Reading some of the other forums, I see a lot of posturing and grandstanding. If you have a problem, take the car to the dealer. If they can't fix it, go to another dealer. If you have to, get Ford involved, but don't use the internet to bring attention to yourself. The cruise switch went out on my 12 Focus. Do I care if every other 12 Focus had the same problem, NO. I just want it fixed like my warranty states.

As was the case with mustang transmission problems and other recent problems, the extent of the problems get magnified by a vocal minority of customers with real problems and negatards who look for any opportunity to pile on. Meanwhile the majority of owners with no problems don't say a word.

Pointing this out does not make us "fanbois" or "cheerleaders" or "kool-aid drinkers" - it just makes us rational and logical and reasonable.

• Like 3

Well, I don't do Facebook. Tried it once and don't go there again. This issue with the latest F-150 does matter. Maybe a small percentage complaining, the dealers may have a better clue. A good many of the lemon law suits are a result of multiple visits to dealers to fix the problems. And dealers saying we just can't fix it and stumbling a little on documentation. Can't blame them - Ford's warranty work doesn't pay very well in a lot of situations. This problem is just starting to surface.

I too am like those with older Fords - F-150 and Ranger included. And simply wondering if we take perfectly good functioning, albeit high mileage trucks, and gamble on Ford's latest technology. Nothing seems to be working partcularly well. Losing some confidence here.

MFT will result in a loss of ratings with the consumer reporting agencies and probably already has done so. Hard to figure that Ford may have more than one problem here with trying to use a too small V-6 in this turbo application for the weight of the vehicle. Tranny and it's associated software trying to cover too much ground in these trucks has to be included too.

Guess I stay at the fix it stage or used truck market. Or shop outside Ford.

Disappointed.

Not much out there worth buying.

Well, I don't do Facebook. Tried it once and don't go there again. This issue with the latest F-150 does matter. Maybe a small percentage complaining, the dealers may have a better clue. A good many of the lemon law suits are a result of multiple visits to dealers to fix the problems. And dealers saying we just can't fix it and stumbling a little on documentation. Can't blame them - Ford's warranty work doesn't pay very well in a lot of situations. This problem is just starting to surface.

I too am like those with older Fords - F-150 and Ranger included. And simply wondering if we take perfectly good functioning, albeit high mileage trucks, and gamble on Ford's latest technology. Nothing seems to be working partcularly well. Losing some confidence here.

MFT will result in a loss of ratings with the consumer reporting agencies and probably already has done so. Hard to figure that Ford may have more than one problem here with trying to use a too small V-6 in this turbo application for the weight of the vehicle. Tranny and it's associated software trying to cover too much ground in these trucks has to be included too.

Disappointed.

Not much out there worth buying.

A little over dramatic don't you think?

Does Ford pay you guys a commission for driving away formerly loyal customers? You seem to have a real knack for it.

This quote doesn't sound like he's planning to help Ford out much anyway.

And honestly, with his overly pessimistic, can't understate that a mechanical device is not perfect posts, Ford is better off without him. Seriously, in business, sometimes it is best to let some customers walk.

I spend alot of time on the F-series forums. There are several that are very good, and have large memberships.

The biggest problems that I have seen in the F150's is caused by the transmission, and carries across all engines. Again, it is not Ecoboost specific. As for Ecoboost problems, surprisingly, they are almost statistically insignificant. Now, this is not to downplay legitimate problems that people are seeing. However, the drama, and the "this is what happens when you push a tiny V6 to work this hard," type of comments are ridiculous. Pushing a tiny V6 hard has nothing to do with condensation. It has nothing to do with the few software problems. It also has nothing to do with the occassional failed part. Short of 1 turbo, I have seen no issues with them either. I have seen one engine failure.

There are currently hundreds of thousands of EB trucks out there right now. The frequency of problems is amazingly small. As a matter of fact, the 5.0 is seeing more problems than the EB.

If folks want to let these few issues feed their "a V6 cannot do the work of a V8, and turbos are expensive, complicated, and unreliable," phobia, then there is nothing that anyone can say, that will change your mind. However, if you want the real story, talk to Ford techs at dealerships (not service advisors, as they barely know where a spark plug goes), but the actual techs. You will learn that they see VERY few EB trucks coming in. There is a reason why the dealerships have problems keeping EB trucks in stock, and it isn't the 10's/100's of thousands of defective ones out there (the way those with problems make it seem).

Again, I hope those with actual problems get their issues worked out, I really do. Unfortunately, with so few trucks having problems, Ford is having more trouble figuring out what is going wrong, and implimenting a fix. However, it does sound like they are working on the condensation issue, so that should get resolved.

• Like 3

This quote doesn't sound like he's planning to help Ford out much anyway.

And honestly, with his overly pessimistic, can't understate that a mechanical device is not perfect posts, Ford is better off without him. Seriously, in business, sometimes it is best to let some customers walk.

There are some segments where it doesn't make sense for Ford to compete (minivans). Competition is cut-throat and there is ZERO brand loyalty. The issue is Ford throwing good money after bad with niche products nobody wants (like Flex) at the expense of established but horribly neglected vehicles like Ranger.