Ford introduces the All New EcoSport

Biker16

NEWS

For news releases, related materials and high-resolution photos and video, visit www.media.ford.com.

Follow at www.facebook.com/fordapa, www.twitter.com/fordapa or www.youtube.com/fordapa

www.facebook.com/ford www.twitter.com/ford

RELEASE AT 17:30 China Standard Time (UTC +8 hours) ON APRIL 22, 2012

Creative, Connected and Compact: EcoSport is Ford’s

New Small SUV with Smart, Innovative Technologies

• The new EcoSport offers an unexpected level of connectivity, safety and convenience in its segment, including Ford SYNC driver connect system with voice control, electronic air-conditioning, Smart Keyless Entry, Ford Power Start and a cooled bin in the glovebox
  • The new global product is also an innovator in safety, with dual front airbags and side curtain airbags. Features that make driving safer and easier include Anti-Lock Brake system, Electronic Stability Program, Hill Launch Assist and rear parking sensors
  •  Electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) contributes to EcoSport’s target of class-leading fuel economy, and EcoSport offers a wide range of efficient engines to meet the needs and preferences of consumers in every region

BEIJING, April 22, 2012 – Compact and agile, the all-new Ford EcoSport is also full of

innovative technologies and features.

Bringing together features not normally found in this segment, EcoSport offers a driving

experience with a superior standard of on-board connectivity, safety and convenience.

One of the highlights is the award-winning SYNC driver connect system with voice control. More

than 4 million vehicles are currently on the road with SYNC technology. Ford forecasts 9 million

additional vehicles will be equipped with SYNC by 2015 globally as it deploys the Ford-exclusive

system in products such as the new EcoSport.

SYNC sets the trend for a hands-free, voice-activated future. It helps drivers keep their hands

on the wheel and eyes on the road as they choose their favorite music and make calls using

voice commands.

EcoSport’s digital audio system features a CD/MP3 player, USB and auxiliary slots, iPod

connectivity, Bluetooth connection, and a 3.5-inch LCD screen. SYNC will be available in both

Mandarin and English in China.

The EcoSport also comes with a range of key features such as electric power assisted steering,

power windows, remote control locks, dual power side mirrors, Passive Anti-Theft System,

Smart Keyless Entry, and Ford Power Start, and rear parking sensors.

Climate control and comfort

For news releases, related materials and high-resolution photos and video, visit www.media.ford.com.

Follow at www.facebook.com/fordapa, www.twitter.com/ford or www.youtube.com/fordapa

The all-new EcoSport offers an advanced climate control system, providing efficiency and

comfort, including air-conditioning with pollen filter as standard and optional electronic airconditioning.

The all-new small SUV features improved versions of creative solutions, such as the cooled bin

inside the glovebox which can chill six 350ml cans when the air conditioning is activated, as well

as a storage drawer underneath the passenger seat.

Green and efficient

Energy efficiency is one of the highlights of the all-new EcoSport. The goal set by Ford in the

EcoSport’s development was to become the segment leader in fuel-efficiency with the all-new

1.0-litre, three-cylinder EcoBoost™ engine as well as the new 1.5L Ti-VCT petrol engine.

The EcoSport’s fuel economy is further enhanced by the availability of the innovative six-speed

PowerShift dual-clutch automatic transmission which combines the efficiency and driving

dynamics of a manual gearbox with the convenience of a conventional automatic transmission.

Efficiency is also present in every aspect of the vehicle’s design. The SUV’s body was specially

developed, including the use of high-strength steel and new designs to optimize weight and fuel

efficiency.

Advanced Safety

The all-new EcoSport was designed to meet the strictest safety standards in the markets in

which it will be sold. Its body was developed with design tools and advanced software to reduce

weight, combining programmed energy impact absorption zones with an extremely rigid

protection cage to protect occupants.

The chassis’ stability and robustly built body with high torsional rigidness for occupant

protection, 20% better than the previous model sold in South America, are part of the features

which give the EcoSport the confidence of a true SUV.

The vehicle offers a comprehensive package of safety features including standard dual front

airbags (for driver and passenger) and optional side curtain airbags to protect rear-seat

passengers in rollover-type accidents. The pelvis bolster provides pelvic protection while the

energy-absorbing side door trim provides thoracic and abdominal protection during side impact

accidents.

The EcoSport is also equipped with advanced active safety technologies such as Anti-Lock

Brake System, Electronic Stability Program, and Hill Launch Assist.

# # #

About Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or

distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 164,000 employees and about 70 plants

worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial

Follow at www.facebook.com/fordapa, www.twitter.com/ford or www.youtube.com/fordapa

services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please

visit www.fordmotorcompany.com.

Contacts: Célio Galvão Craig von Essen

South America Asia Pacific and Africa

+55 11 4174-9587

cgalvao@ford.com

+86-21-38581569

Ford_Ecosport_26.jpg

Ford_Ecosport_23.jpg

Ford_Ecosport_19.jpg

Ford_Ecosport_16.jpg

• Like 1

Some interesting design touches. I wonder if the interior switchgear gives a hint to the '14 Fiesta.

Overall I don't care for the vehicle, the wheel base is very short and the car sits WAY above the small tires. And then you have that hideous spare tire stuck to the back of it.

And then you have that hideous spare tire stuck to the back of it.

I agree, it looks terrible on the Rav4 and it doesn't look any better on the Ecosport. Also, that's a lot of weight on the tailgate, it's going to take some oversized supports to lift and hold the tailgate up.

Tire on the back is still the most efficient way to design a utility for the space.

If it's going to be a mostly Urban SUV, why didn't Ford just stick the spare in the same place made for B-Max?

I think this is Ford South America sticking to an old cliche of SUVs having spares on tailgates because owners have this

fear of not accessing a spare if you bogged up to the axles, IMO a vehicle like this shouldn't be doing genuine 4WD work..

I like the overall look of the car, it's a chubby Euro design Focus. I have a minor issue with the tiny wheels and tires, but it's the spare that ruins the look, lines and flow of the exterior design. As you look around the vehicle your eye moves smoothly along the lines, then bang, it's stopped by this huge round growth hanging off the back. From a design point of view, it's a bad choice. If this is an urban suv, why does it even need a full size spare? Unless in China the roads are so crappy, there's no vehicle service network and a mini spare won't last long enough to get you to a service station.

Some interesting design touches. I wonder if the interior switchgear gives a hint to the '14 Fiesta.

Overall I don't care for the vehicle, the wheel base is very short and the car sits WAY above the small tires. And then you have that hideous spare tire stuck to the back of it.

well the car is the size of a Fiesta hatch back, of course it will have a short wheelbase. there wasn't anywhere else to put the spare.

I agree, it looks terrible on the Rav4 and it doesn't look any better on the Ecosport. Also, that's a lot of weight on the tailgate, it's going to take some oversized supports to lift and hold the tailgate up.

It is not liftgate, it swings open like the RAv4 does.

If it's going to be a mostly Urban SUV, why didn't Ford just stick the spare in the same place made for B-Max?

I think this is Ford South America sticking to an old cliche of SUVs having spares on tailgates because owners have this

fear of not accessing a spare if you bogged up to the axles, IMO a vehicle like this shouldn't be doing genuine 4WD work..

I think it had more to do with the Use of a twist beam axle and the placement of the differential for the AWD system.

never mind the extremely short overhangs.

this is a very small vehicle

It's probably more like a Samurai than a Raptor in concept. Great for crawling around, slowly, in tight spaces........not so good on a freeway.

Spare tire is fine with me, gives a purposeful look. It's a bit over-styled IMHO. But looks capable and fun.

this is a very small vehicle

Looking closer at the pics, it appears you're right. The pics of the exterior don't give many clues, looks about the size of a Focus or slightly longer, taller Fiesta. A closer look at the first interior pic and assuming it's not a rendition, I see how close the front seat is to the dash and how little leg space there is in the rear. Also the back seat appears to be just in front of the small rear window behind the C pillar. That doesn't leave much space for cargo.

Actually the Rav4 just went away from the rear spare....

34877076-623x389.jpg

A new RAV4 is being developed, and of course the spare-back is gone.

The EcoSport is not suitable for US consumption, and the B-Max is too expensive and peculiar thanks to the sliders and a minivan-like appearance. It's too bad Ford doesn't have a smaller Crossover suitable for this market already, but I can imagine the Lincoln MKC might have something to say about that even if the Focus is a larger platform. Keeping in mind of course that we have the not-nearly-as-peculiar Buick Encore and Chevy sister to set the stage for the B-sized crossovers in the US. It's starting to look like Ford isn't going to touch this space in the US soon.

Edited by BORG

I think it's adorable, looks like it has the face of a pitbull actually, all smushed in together. I wouldnt mind this product for NA, although it wouldnt do well with the rear bumper basher test, but I believe what I have read in some of the spanish automotive sites, the spare must hang on the door because the lower floor cannot accomodate the wheel because of the suspension and gas tank...

A new RAV4 is being developed, and of course the spare-back is gone.

The EcoSport is not suitable for US consumption, and the B-Max is too expensive and peculiar thanks to the sliders and minivan-like appearance. It's too bad Ford doesn't have a smaller Crossover suitable for this market already. It's unlikely that they will develop another one anytime soon, unless that Lincoln MKC has anything to say about it.

I thought we were supposed to get this (the "next gen") EcoSport here in the US, but plans could've changed since that was rumored.

I thought we were supposed to get this (the "next gen") EcoSport here in the US, but plans could've changed since that was rumored.

Considering the new one just debuted, even if rumor this far in advance were accurate, we have a very long wait for that.

Somehow I doubt it, there is some significant regional issues with this product.

Edited by BORG