demise of Focus hatchbacks

demise of Focus hatchbacks  

51 members have voted

1. 1. do you Favor Ford's decision to stop selling Focus hatchbacks

• Yes, it is a good idea
    • No, it is a bad idea

I would like to survey you guys about the impending demise of the Focus hatchbacks.

Let me start by saying that I hate compact sedans. Their trunk openings keep shrinking with each new model year, as the current design trends dictate shorter overhangs. The rear ends look stubby and dumb.

Coupes are sleek and muscular, they're supposed to have a short rear. Think of a coupe as a Doberman-- it's supposed to have a short tail.

Sedans, on the other hand, with their tamer, plumper proportions, look stupid with a short rear deck. Think of it like a Golden Retriever with its tail bobbed. That would look outright freakish. Case in point...

Having said that, however, if Ford is losing money on the hatchback body style, than they should give it the axe. If limiting the Focus to a sedan body style turns out to be a smart decision, then they have the right to do that.

Biker,

The only problem with your survey is that its either take it or leave it, while I wouldn't mind seeing Ford keeping the hatchback around just be able to offer that type of model, but if they kill it off well so be it.

The Focus styling has always been an issue since its introduction, more conservative car buyers hated the triangular headlights and everyone in my family (who I try to use as a baseline for your typical car buyer) didn't really care for the styling of the hatchback on the SVT I had. Then the 05 restyle went over like a lead ballon with everyone who had a 00-04 model, futher screwing up things. I personally dont care at all for the newer models, though the EAP front bumper does make a huge difference in the car, making the front end more acceptable to me styling wise.

I think Ford should keep reducing its product portfolio until it has only 5 vehicles that sell above 200K units a year. That's the only way to do business! Besides, you can't sell hatchbacks to rental agencies so what's the point? :banghead:

Edited by BORG

I think Ford should keep reducing its product portfolio until it has only 5 vehicles that sell above 200K units a year. That's the only way to do business! You can sell hatchbacks to rental agencies! :banghead:

Out of the current Focus versions the only ones I find tolerable appearance-wise are the hatches, so I would like to keep them around. The sedan and wagon are just too dowdy. However, if the 2008 restyle makes for a sedan that looks as good as the Fusion, then the hatch may no longer be necessary. Although, if they ditch the hatch they need to come out with a crossover/utility thing like a PT Cruiser/HHR/Matrix to make up for it. Hatches are much more useful than sedans, even though the buying public seems to vote otherwise.

I have a 2000 ZX3 and I quite like it. It's not perfect but I got a good deal for it. I know the wagons done for 2008 but haven't heard anything for the hatchbacks. I hate sedans, the other day I went to the hardware store and bought some closet doors. Try and fit those in a Focus sedan. I was thinking of getting a focus wagon but I didn't really want another Focus. I want something that get better mileage. Plus to lease a wagon was almost a 100 bucks more than a ZX5 because of residual value. This is also on A-plan pricing. I am in need of a second car and in the coming months and ford has nothing to offer, no Ka, no Fiesta. The Honda Fit is to expensive. I was at a Nissan dealership and looked at a Versa. Lets just say I'm going back for another look.

DRC

I drive an '01 ZX3 and have told my local Ford dealer on several occasions that I would trade up for a new one if they'd only offer it with the 2.3 liter engine and an automatic, like the Fusion. Looks like that will never come to pass, sadly. The ZX3 is the best looking of the Focus trio, and is an absolute blast to drive. Then again, the '07 offers traction control again, so maybe I'll upgrade to an electric blue SES with leather interior and sunroof. While not the 2.3, the car, as well as the engine and tranny, are made in the USA!

Edited by Jazzhead

Biker,

The only problem with your survey is that its either take it or leave it, while I wouldn't mind seeing Ford keeping the hatchback around just be able to offer that type of model, but if they kill it off well so be it.

The Focus styling has always been an issue since its introduction, more conservative car buyers hated the triangular headlights and everyone in my family (who I try to use as a baseline for your typical car buyer) didn't really care for the styling of the hatchback on the SVT I had. Then the 05 restyle went over like a lead ballon with everyone who had a 00-04 model, futher screwing up things. I personally dont care at all for the newer models, though the EAP front bumper does make a huge difference in the car, making the front end more acceptable to me styling wise.

dude we solld far more cars whne we had a polarizing design, by making it more conservative we are pissing off our core customers, young people, and have become a comodity product not the aspirational product we were.

people used to want to own a focus. now they want to own something else.

The Focus is one of Ford's best cars. It is terrific to drive and the ZX3 is the best looking. It has weak safety scores though. The sedan is frumpy. Ford should continue to invest in the Focus. I think the market will look for good, fun to drive, small sedans and hatches. Look at the 06 Civic and the Mazda3.

Regarding Safety:

Last time I checked, with the Side Air it rates a Average (not a great marketing point) which is well...Average in the class.

Make the safety gear standard (good marketing tactic).

Regarding hatchbacks:

I have test drove a ZX3, drove my old mans ZXW wagon demo (surprising a great package all around but dryer then a popcorn fart) and a ZX4 ST.

I like the ST but it does not have the convienience of a HB. The passthrough is more annoying then a HB. I am still surprised that an ST HB was never available. IMHO, the GFX kit is a hit or miss with me but, I am a substance over shine kind of person. Yet, a toned-down GFX kit on a ZX3/5 with the D23 would be great package. I would seriously consider it.

If this is the plan to have a coupe and sedan to hold us over until the C2: I don't think that's a great idea.

Edited by Hugh

I like the Focus hatchback. When you see young people driving a Focus they tend to drive the hatchback and not the sedan. Most Foci i see around here when in the sedan form have that little enterprise "e" sticker on it. The hatchback is usually driven by a younger person with a bike on the top or the back.

I think ford is insane if they kill the hatch. their justification is probably something along the line of: these young people wont stop buying focus haches damnit! It's canabalizing v6 mustang sales! We gotta kill the hatchback before it gets worse!"

Edited by jaydez

dude we solld far more cars whne we had a polarizing design, by making it more conservative we are pissing off our core customers, young people, and have become a comodity product not the aspirational product we were.

Look at what was on the market when the Focus came out in 99 and its competition...uh nothing exciting there.

The reason the car sold so well was that it was "different" then what else was out there, YOU cannot base your product on being different from everything else out there year to year. The Focus isn't going to be Scion, it was never intented to be that.

When will you get it though your head that cars that cost less then 20K aren't aspirational? They are throw away cars that hold their owners attention for a couple years then they move on to something else "nicer". If anything the Focus ruined Ford's reputation with first time buyers who selected a focus as their first car with all of its recalls and less then stellar relaibitlity.

Aspirational products have famous names behind them Like: BMW, Corvette, Mustang, Lexus and the like. Not some POS 15-20K car that the only people who buy it because its the only thing they can afford or they want something with decent gas mileage.

Try looking at the market beyond Focaljet

What is the breakdown pero bodystyle? How relevant is the Hatch to Ford's bottom line.

I believe that this will be the argument for its demise...

24% for the ZX3 and ZX5

6% for the wagon

Look at what was on the market when the Focus came out in 99 and its competition...uh nothing exciting there.

The reason the car sold so well was that it was "different" then what else was out there, YOU cannot base your product on being different from everything else out there year to year. The Focus isn't going to be Scion, it was never intented to be that.

When will you get it though your head that cars that cost less then 20K aren't aspirational? They are throw away cars that hold their owners attention for a couple years then they move on to something else "nicer". If anything the Focus ruined Ford's reputation with first time buyers who selected a focus as their first car with all of its recalls and less then stellar relaibitlity.

Aspirational products have famous names behind them Like: BMW, Corvette, Mustang, Lexus and the like. Not some POS 15-20K car that the only people who buy it because its the only thing they can afford or they want something with decent gas mileage.

Try looking at the market beyond Focaljet

aspirational:

Having a strong desire for success or achievement.

I would like you to understand what this means. This does not mean price or segment, it means a step up from what was. For a customer that owned a used tempo they would Aspire to own something better, regaurdless of if it's a new or used product. We always aspire to own something better, never something worse, thus why focus buyers are not buying Focuses anymore. The 2000-2003 focus had the best owner loyalty of any car in it's class. There are better choices in cars today.

Youth move up form used cars to new cars, and the question is why would they aspire to own a Mazda3 over a Focus? The fact is that today with gas prices uncertain people are aspiring to move down to save money.

both demographics are choosing other cars over the Focus, because it is non apsirational. people don't desire to own it.

Aspirational does not = price or segment. because people always want more.

The 2000-2003 focus had the best owner loyalty of any car in it's class. There are better choices in cars today.

How can a car that is less then 5 years old have the best owner loyalty? What is the Critera for awarding that honor on a car??

I have a 2002 ZX5 with 50,000 miles & I love it.But there is one serious problem.I found rust in the interior.The seat belt brackets and the fuse mount have some rust on them.Is this a common problem or could this be a flood car?I bought this car used,but CARMAX gave it a clean bill of health never wrecked or any other problems. :shrug: I'm going to contact Ford today and find out what's up.This car is way to new for this kind of crap.The previous owner(1 owner car)lived in Southern Indiana,so no salt water exposure.

Edited by Bowie

people used to want to own a focus. now they want to own something else.

Exactly.

Polarizing designs do have a certain amount of power among the buying public. The Fusion and Mustang are now the cars people "want to own" in Ford's lineup.

24% for the ZX3 and ZX5

6% for the wagon

Is that looking at all sales, or just retail sales, because I'm certain the Hatchback never got into the rental or government fleets.

As an aside, isn't the ZX5 the sedan? 'Cause I think I rented one of those, and though it was sweet.

Edited by Roadrunner