Fusion Coupe?

meyeste

... I wonder how popular would the Fusion have to become (what sales mark) before Ford considers a two-door variant?

first, they need to offer the Mondusion's 5-door

then

I'd still rather see quasi-notchback sedan variants - esp for the MKZ =aka "formal" roofline

I don't know where you guys live, but around here (SoFla), a sizable portion of the cars that I see - no matter where I go :parking lots, every stop light, you name it - are 2 door coupes. Lots of 3 series, Audis, VWs, Honda/Acuras, Toyos/Lexus, again, you name the marque . . . I feel quite certain with the new styling for the Fusion, Ford could sell a lot of them here. True, this area is upscale, but my guess is that Ford could get a good portion of that market. They need another 2 door coupe to reach the market that wouldn't buy a Pony car.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know where you guys live, but around here (SoFla), a sizable portion of the cars that I see - no matter where I go :parking lots, every stop light, you name it - are 2 door coupes. Lots of 3 series, Audis, VWs, Honda/Acuras, Toyos/Lexus, ...

What I have heard is that the coupe version of Accord and Camry never have sold well. At least not well enough for Ford to commit the resources to do a coupe version of the Fusion.

Audis, Acuras, Lexus are a different story. Maybe this is a case were Lincoln should take the lead !

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
What I have heard is that the coupe version of Accord and Camry never have sold well. At least not well enough for Ford to commit the resources to do a coupe version of the Fusion.

Audis, Acuras, Lexus are a different story. Maybe this is a case were Lincoln should take the lead !

I agree with that a Lincoln would be sweet in that configuration

• 2 weeks later...

I love 2 doors, I'll never sell my old camaro or bronco. If my escape was sold in a 2-door sport model, that's what I would own. My dream car is the Challenger, but if I had to cheap out I would definitely opt for a 2-door focus or fusion.

Edited by probowler

• 2 months later...

Ford already makes it. It's called the Ford Mustang. As nice as a Fusion coupe sounds, it just doesn't make logistical sense producing a car that will compete against another car by the same manufacturer. They would be way to close to each other. I'm thinking that spring next year, when the 2015 Mustang is introduced, it'll look a lot more like what the Fusion is currently styled at. Plus the rumor mill is a 2.0+ L EB engine will be unveiled.

So my recommendation would be to stay patient and wait and see what the next generation Mustang looks like.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Ford already makes it. It's called the Ford Mustang. As nice as a Fusion coupe sounds, it just doesn't make logistical sense producing a car that will compete against another car by the same manufacturer. They would be way to close to each other. I'm thinking that spring next year, when the 2015 Mustang is introduced, it'll look a lot more like what the Fusion is currently styled at. Plus the rumor mill is a 2.0+ L EB engine will be unveiled.

So my recommendation would be to stay patient and wait and see what the next generation Mustang looks like.

+1ing this. The new Mustang is likely to carry over much of the styling from the new Fusion, so it will be essentially a Fusion coupe (although much faster ;)).

• 4 months later...

The 2013 Fusion is a major step up in styling for the Fusion, my bet is it will reach the 300,000 in sales mark first year (1 will go to me). I wonder how popular would the Fusion have to become (what sales mark) before Ford considers a two-door variant?

If the 14 fusion had a coupe option, it would look even more like an aston martin.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand this country's infatuation with a 2-door vehicle. Not very family friendly, and no one wants to ride in a two door car so it's not as practical, the only time I will buy 2 door is if it's a performance car and it's more for weight reasons than it is practicality. A 2 door SUV? I don't get it. 2 door non performance car? Don't get it.

My fusion, explorer and F150 are all 4 door, wouldn't have it any other way.

NEXT purchase though.... GT500... even if they had a 4 door offering NO WAY JOSE.

Maybe I am alone in that I enjoy 4 doors.

I don't understand this country's infatuation with a 2-door vehicle.

I wouldn't see it as an infatuation at all. If it was, coupes wouldn't be such a small segment of the auto industry. Some continue to exist in spite of their overall popularity, not because of it.

The real infatuation is with CUV's, which sell in numbers far greater than coupes.

Edited by NickF1011

I wouldn't see it as an infatuation at all. If it was, coupes wouldn't be such a small segment of the auto industry. Some continue to exist in spite of their overall popularity, not because of it.

The real infatuation is with CUV's, which sell in numbers far greater than coupes.

This is true they're certainly scaling back.

Many in my generational cohort seem to have an affinity for them --- and care not the implications on the family. I kind of see this as an issue with priorities but what do I know.

Many in my generational cohort seem to have an affinity for them --- and care not the implications on the family. I kind of see this as an issue with priorities but what do I know.

If you're under 25 or over 45 chances are you don't have any kids to haul around anyway. And even if you do maybe it's your commuter car that nobody else rides in 95% of the time. So I don't think it's fair to say that people who drive them are selfish.

Could you add a few pictures to your signature? It only takes up one entire screen right now.

I would say most of them go to buyers without kids, empty nesters, or those with disposable income for a second vehicle to use when the kids aren't in tow. Most Mustang owners I know have additional vehicles.