Cuda spawning a new Chrysler/Alfa RWD platform?

Disaster.

This is a niche product. Fiasco has other, more important needs to address.

So the Mustang is a disaster too?. According to Chrysler insiders the platform will get shared with Euro only Alfas, no overlapping.

Edited by Fgts
  • Like 1

So the Mustang is a disaster too?. According to Chrysler insiders the platform will get shared with Euro only Alfas, no overlapping.

Hey — that's great! How much money are they spending? Large, I hope. Sure glad there's no overlapping, with that giant North American Alfa distribution network to feed; Chrysler/FIAT sure have avoided a huge problem.

The Mustang? That's a vehicle with almost 50 years of continuous production. Chrysler/FIAT/Alfa? Not so much. DeSoto's been out of production 50 years, maybe they could bring out a commemorative FIAT 500 edition. :)

It's basically the 2nd gen Challenger (which never got a 2nd gen like the 300 and Charger). It's either invest now in a shared world platform or continue being on an overweight platform for a 2 door coupe that can only be used in NA.

Chew on this...

-First, rumors of Avenger-based Barracuda to replace Challenger, Mopar fans balk. Then..

-Dodge rumored to be working on RWD midsize sedan to replace Avenger, followed by

-Widely reported cancellation of Avenger after current lifecycle, then

-Dodge reaffirms commitment to next gen Avenger, and finally

-New midsized RWD platform under development for the new 'Cuda.

RWD Avenger sedan and Barracuda coupe, anyone?

It's ballsy, but I like it. It's like Dodge is becoming what Pontiac should have been. :shift:

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 1

Unlike Fiasco, Ford has sound midsize car & CUV architectures, and a decent B segment vehicle.

New midsizer and CUVs both locked in and out in CY2013. I don't see why they need to wait until those vehicles are on sale to begin planning future iterations of existing vehicles.

----------------

Here's how I see their playbook if they want to keep their 2 door RWD car (or even 4 doors in the long run), they have two (actually three) choices to keep it on the lots:

1) Continue with the current Challenger, on the last gen LX platform until it withers away like the PT Cruiser. If they want to leave this segment, this is a possibility.

2) Redesign the Challenger completely on the current LX/LC architecture. Still uncompetitive in the NA market because of it's size (being handicapped with a large 4 door sedan platform)....forget about it ever leaving these shores to boot.

3) Plan for the next gen (years away still), share resources and build a smaller global platform that can be utilized by multiple nameplates around the world and possibly stretched to incorporate the next-gen LX's and RWD Lancias.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Not buying it. IMO, the current crop of Fiasco FWD vehicles is in need of total overhaul. Given the rather tepid response to the new Dodge Dart, I think Fiat's priorities are a bit off if they're investing in a niche product instead of short-cycling the current bread and butter stuff and getting top notch product out.

Lutz must have left some of his product development cooties at Chrysler while he was there....

Edited by TomServo92

If the Challenger were replaced by the narrower Cuda/Alfa it might actually give Alfa a decent RWD 3-size platform for the EU and elsewhere, and the Cuda would be about right-size for a ponycar. This Alfa-platform potential market may be an important concern for FIAT. Whether that concern is delusional, time will tell. I wish them success. :)

New midsizer and CUVs both locked in and out in CY2013. I don't see why they need to wait until those vehicles are on sale to begin planning future iterations of existing vehicles.

----------------

Here's how I see their playbook if they want to keep their 2 door RWD car (or even 4 doors in the long run), they have two (actually three) choices to keep it on the lots:

1) Continue with the current Challenger, on the last gen LX platform until it withers away like the PT Cruiser. If they want to leave this segment, this is a possibility.

2) Redesign the Challenger completely on the current LX/LC architecture. Still uncompetitive in the NA market because of it's size (being handicapped with a large 4 door sedan platform)....forget about it ever leaving these shores to boot.

3) Plan for the next gen (years away still), share resources and build a smaller global platform that can be utilized by multiple nameplates around the world and possibly stretched to incorporate the next-gen LX's and RWD Lancias.

The word on it is the new large fwd/awd/rwd platform ( it's CSW+.... or somthing?) will replace everything fron minivans, Jeeps, the LX/LY sedans, unibody Dakota,etc. The new Cuda won't be on this platform (think current size Mustang or a bit smaller) no platform streching is needed.

As i mentioned on another fourm the Challenger may not go away in '15, it may get redesigned on the new smaller platform as a platform mate to Cuda, (imo) just replaced entirely by a Charger coupe or as said it may just die slow on the current platform,

"Not buying it. IMO, the current crop of Fiasco FWD vehicles is in need of total overhaul".

We get it, yea Ford, boo anybody else...............

Edited by Fgts

We get it, yea Ford, boo anybody else...............

You do not see me making similar remarks about:

Honda (platforms decent, styling iffy).

Hyundai/Kia

GM (not all of their FWD architectures are substandard, although I note that they lag in AWD adoption)

Subaru

Nissan

Toyota is coasting on their laurels and Fiat's products still lag the competition in important segments. Of course, maybe if Sergio & co. plan on repositioning the brand as something other than a full-line manufacturer (they're practically the smallest one in the US), this makes sense, but I doubt that Sergio sees any limitations.

Disaster.

This is a niche product. Fiasco has other, more important needs to address.

Fiat(the parent company) doesnt seem to be afraid of investing in niche product,look at their other brands:

Ferrari.

Mazerati.

Alfa Romeo(I'm including Alfa because of several Limited prodution sport cars).

SRT.

There is an new SRT Viper coming out(this year?) and a new smaller Mazerati on the way so maybe the 'Cuda is related in some way.

I'm okay with everything except the name. Why the heck are you going to resurrect a name from a long-dead brand when you already have the perfectly viable Challenger nameplate right there?

For those of us who were around back then, the Barracuda name has a bit more panache than the Challenger.

Little know fact, the Barracuda beat the Mustang to market by about two weeks (April 1, 1964 for the 'Cuda, April 17, 1964 for the Mustang). But, to be fair, the first Barracuda was just a gussied up Plymouth Valiant. The first Mustang-competitor Barracuda came out in 1967.

For those of us who were around back then, the Barracuda name has a bit more panache than the Challenger.

But realisticlly here, how many of you who were around back then are in the heart of the current pony car market? And sure, it might have a bit more panache to some. I kind of prefer Challenger. Some Mercury names have panache too, but I wouldn't suggest reviving them as Lincolns or Fords.