Best Polish For New Cars

I would like everyone's opinion on what type of polish/wax to use on a new car. I have been told that a brand called 'ZAINO Z-2 Pro Car Polish' is the best. Its expensive ($26 delivered) but has no abrasives and lasts longer than 'ICE' or Meguires Gold Polish. The only issues are that Zaino Z-2 takes 15 minutes to haze before wiping...and they also recommend buying a bottle of their ZX Accelerator to mix with the Z-2. Seems cumbersome. Anyone try Z-2? Any suggestions?

Zaino is a good product, but like you said it is expensive. There are some that will argue other brands are better. I've used Mothers and Meguiars for several years, and I've been happy with my choices.

Usually the trick for any product is the preparation of the surface (clean, dry, and possibly clay-barred), right materials (clean applicators and cloths like microfibre), and a good quality product. Take your time. Don't rush. Follow the instructions for each product, and you should be fine.

I've been using Zanio products for years....I bought them back about 6 years ago when I got my current Mustang and normally wax my cars at least 2x a year...I'm still on the original bottles.

I get comments all the time how about great my car looks, and its been outside every day till this past September, when i finally got a garage to put it in.

I still had a coat of wax on the car 2 years after the last time I did in the fall of 2010...didn't have any time to do it last summer because I was commuting during the week to work and had to get my condo ready to rent out on the weekends when I was home.

New cars already have a protective coating over the paint.....it's called the clear coat. So whatever you apply is just protecting the clear coat.

I prepare cars for car shows, and usually work with a clean surface....sometimes use a clay bar to get clean. Sometimes apply product with an electric buffer. I also sometimes use stuff I buy at Dollar Tree.... for $1....left over before the newest greatest product comes out. I defy you to tell the difference from the hi dollar stuff. I think any top brand from Turtle wax to Zano works fine. You just have to have a good surface to apply it on, and get it on well, then get it off. Don't do that....and it won't matter what you use.

New cars already have a protective coating over the paint.....it's called the clear coat. So whatever you apply is just protecting the clear coat.

I prepare cars for car shows, and usually work with a clean surface....sometimes use a clay bar to get clean. Sometimes apply product with an electric buffer. I also sometimes use stuff I buy at Dollar Tree.... for $1....left over before the newest greatest product comes out. I defy you to tell the difference from the hi dollar stuff. I think any top brand from Turtle wax to Zano works fine. You just have to have a good surface to apply it on, and get it on well, then get it off. Don't do that....and it won't matter what you use.

Could not agree more. Look in the owner's manual. Suspect Ford will simply say a good carnuaba wax is sufficient. Probably because they don't want you stripping or injuring that thin layer of clear coat. Be careful with new paint. I never touch it for six months or than careful hand-washing.

For me, it matters a lot with paint color. Dark colors show everything, so the really good waxes might be worth the price. For bright white, a good cleaner/wax from Turtle Wax makes them happy every year or so. Actually, I have used Turtle Wax pure carnuaba wax on just about everything from day one with good results.

If you want something to really stick - do it carefully but use Nu-Finish. Seems like Consumer Reports even supports that suggestion.

(Coming from truck-ville here and not fancy cars. Might want to consider my considerations!)

OK..thanks for all the info. Now, , after I get my brand new Black 2013 Taurus in a couple months, how long before the first wax? Does paint from the factory really need a cure time? Its not mentioned anywhere in any Ford Manuals that I can find. I really want to get a coat on as soon as possible...but wonder if it would harm the paint/clearcoat to do it too soon.I can't find any official position from Ford?

Its like the old saying..."change your oil after only 500 miles on a new car since there are small particles floating around in the engine!" Or: "Ford uses a break-in oil and it should be changed after a few months!" In either case Ford also has NO WARNING to change the oil BEFORE its regular maintenance schedule...3000 - 5000 miles!

OK..thanks for all the info. Now, , after I get my brand new Black 2013 Taurus in a couple months, how long before the first wax? Does paint from the factory really need a cure time? Its not mentioned anywhere in any Ford Manuals that I can find. I really want to get a coat on as soon as possible...but wonder if it would harm the paint/clearcoat to do it too soon.I can't find any official position from Ford?

I waxed mine within a couple weeks of getting it...it shouldn't have any problems since it takes a couple weeks to get to you anyways.

When you applied the Zaino Z-2 did you mix it with the ZF Accelerator that they advise? Also, Zaino says to wait 15-20 minutes after you apply to a haze before wiping off. In my experience...waiting that long creates streaks and excessive rubbing to get it off. How long do you normally wait to wipe after applying it? I assume you are using american made micro cloths rather than baby towels or tee-shirts...right?

My engineer friend worked the Detroit auto show and he advises the Zaino product! I use to use "ICE" since its easy , but apparently does not last too long.

I've been using Zanio products for years....I bought them back about 6 years ago when I got my current Mustang and normally wax my cars at least 2x a year...I'm still on the original bottles.

I get comments all the time how about great my car looks, and its been outside every day till this past September, when i finally got a garage to put it in.

I still had a coat of wax on the car 2 years after the last time I did in the fall of 2010...didn't have any time to do it last summer because I was commuting during the week to work and had to get my condo ready to rent out on the weekends when I was home.

When you applied the Zaino Z-2 did you mix it with the ZF Accelerator that they advise? Also, Zaino says to wait 15-20 minutes after you apply to a haze before wiping off. In my experience...waiting that long creates streaks and excessive rubbing to get it off. How long do you normally wait to wipe after applying it? I assume you are using american made micro cloths rather than baby towels or tee-shirts...right?

My engineer friend worked the Detroit auto show and he advises the Zaino product! I use to use "ICE" since its easy , but apparently does not last too long.

I have in the past...as for it streaking and excess force to rub it off...it never gets that "hard" and doesn't streak. If it streaks, your using too much product.

I use American made bath towels made of 100% cotton to dry and clean the wax off and dry the car..even wash them in softener free degerteant

Thanks for the info....trying to decide if I really need the ZF Accelerator....is the mixing etc...$$$ really make a difference.?

I have in the past...as for it streaking and excess force to rub it off...it never gets that "hard" and doesn't streak. If it streaks, your using too much product.

I use American made bath towels made of 100% cotton to dry and clean the wax off and dry the car..even wash them in softener free degerteant

Thanks for the info....trying to decide if I really need the ZF Accelerator....is the mixing etc...$$$ really make a difference.?

I believe that ZF Accelerator is to help the Z-2 cure faster so you can apply multiple coats in one day rather than waiting a day to put a 2nd coat on. Google and check their web site for details.

thanks for info..I was thinking the same way. So, to save the extra ZF purchase I just wait a day or two and then apply second coat. Makes sense!

quote name='timinac' timestamp='1328499378' post='761193']

I believe that ZF Accelerator is to help the Z-2 cure faster so you can apply multiple coats in one day rather than waiting a day to put a 2nd coat on. Google and check their web site for details.

I used to use Zaino, but as mentioned too expensive and it didn't last for crap (the paint would get tacky and not bead up water after a month or so). I've switched to Meguiars NXT 2.0 and love it. Just as easy to apply and wipe off, but no stupid mixing, or extra expensive additives, etc. I get the same compliments with NXT as I did with Zaino. Best part is, a $15 bottle last me all year and then some for both my cars.

Edited by Hydro

I click on the Ford Motors Discusion Forum and I see "Best Polish new cars" and I'm thinking WTF kind of cars are they building in poland and who cares?

Then I read it again..AHH POLISH... :ohsnap:

I think I polished my mustang once when it was new and said..F&*^ THIS! I am definately NOT one of those "lets shine the tires and scrub the inside of the bumper types... :confused:

The wife waxes her vehicles, I couldn't be bothered. Reminds me too much of car shows where people like to look at shiny things because they don't have the basic understanding of how something works. "hey nice car, what's in it? ...uh..v-8...yeah but what size?....uhh I don't know, it came with it (or the alternate)...uh, I don't know, abc machine shop built it" :angry2:

Or even better, "nice car, what's in it? uhh, abc built the engine, bcd built the tranny, def did the body& paint...umm...I paid for it..."

I just turn and walk away....

Anyway...I still find the name of the thread funny... :hysterical:

• Like 1