Ford January 2012 Sales Figures

Ford Motor Company U.S. Sales Increase 7 Percent in January; Focus, Escape, Explorer Drive Growth

* Ford Motor Company U.S. sales in January totaled 136,710 vehicles, a 7 percent gain compared with January 2011; retail sales increased 8 percent

* Focus contributed to 30 percent of Ford Motor Company sales growth in January, more than any other vehicle in the Ford product lineup. Focus sales were 14,400 vehicles, up 60 percent – the best January Focus sales performance since 2003

* F-Series sales of 38,493 vehicles, up 8 percent. Ford has more than 75 percent share of the retail V6 full-size pickup market and most fuel-efficient full line of pickups on the market

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 1, 2012 – Ford Motor Company U.S. sales totaled 136,710 vehicles in January, a 7 percent increase versus year-old levels. The Ford brand totaled 131,589 vehicles in January, making it the best January sales month for the Ford brand since 2008.

“January started off with solid sales versus year-ago levels,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Ford saw the same solid month, with smaller vehicles in higher demand. Escape continued its record-setting run, and Focus set the pace for car sales in California, Texas and the Southeast.”

Ford brand grew small car, utility and truck sales in January versus a year ago. Focus small car and Escape utility combined provided 49 percent of Ford Motor Company volume growth in January. With 17,259 Escape vehicles sold, it was another best-ever January for Escape, topping last January by 24 percent.

Sales of the Ford Explorer totaled 9,966, a 36 percent gain versus strong year-ago results.

The Ford F-Series, America’s top-selling vehicle for the past 30 years posted January sales of 38,493 vehicles, representing an 8 percent increase. EcoBoost-equipped F-150s represented 42 percent of retail sales in January, providing Ford a retail F-150 V6 engine mix (EcoBoost V6 and Ford’s 3.7-liter V6) of 54 percent for the month.

LINK - Ford Media

LINK - Sales Tables

Edited by robertlane

sounds like more fleet sales to me

Retail sales were up 8% over last year. Looks like "Why are Focus sales off?" story is over now at least for this month with Focus beating Fusion sales for month, even with deep discounts for Fusion. Around here, I see lots of older drivers in new Focus, especially older women. Doesn't mean anything since it's anecdotal, but it's still interesting observation. I see lots of older drivers in C segment vehicles, not just Focus. Almost every new Explorer I see has young Mom driving it. Interesting to observe who buys what.

15,049 Cruze, 5,712 Sonic

It's in the PDF on the right labeled "January deliveries"

Looks like Fiesta is losing out to new Sonic as turbo Sonic is a great, little car. An EB Fiesta can't come soon enough. I would hope both the Focus and Fiesta get 1.6L EB option without having to buy pricier ST models. A 180hp 1.6L EB in a Focus SE for about $22,000 sticker would sell well, and probably get over 40mpg highway and 29mpg city with auto-stop.

Corolla and Elantra are heavily fleeted too, and Cruz, so STFU.

To all the $@!#!#'s whining about Focus sales and thinking they are 'piling up' take a hike! It's selling fine and Ford's making money.

Hyundai says its total sales were just 9 percent fleet in January, but it doesn't break down by model.

Edited by DC Car Examiner

Looks like Fiesta is losing out to new Sonic as turbo Sonic is a great, little car.

If PremierDrum's sister's example is typical--that GM is eager to offer generous financing on the Sonic to people with distressed credit, then I think you can sincerely question the extent to which the Sonic is taking sales from the Fiesta.

It is not difficult to conjecture that GM is using abysmal underwriting standards for the Sonic in order to obtain volume in order to reduce losses/turn a profit at the Ohio assembly plant that builds them.

Here's the reasoning:

You have an example of person A, with a low credit score--so low that they don't qualify for conventional loans on used cars, let alone new cars.

Now, if a company decides to underwrite person A, then the question is, how many similar people will they take on?

A company as big as GM isn't going to underwrite *one* credit risk, they're going to have a maximum number of people below a certain threshold that they will accept.

How many people is GM willing to take a flier on, how many of them are buying Sonics, and what percentage of Sonic sales does that represent?

It is not difficult to conjecture that GM is using abysmal underwriting standards for the Sonic in order to obtain volume in order to reduce losses/turn a profit at the Ohio assembly plant that builds them.

Cruze is made in Ohio, Sonic is made in Michigan @ Orion Township with the Verano.

Thanks for the correction. I thought Orion was in Ohio.

It's actually right next door to me. Glad to see the Sonic is such a smash hit for the sake of the locals.

Fiesta continues to be the struggler in this segment, not sure what went wrong there. At least the Fiesta is a global success, no matter how many Sonics GM sells in the US, it's nothing compared to what Fiesta does globally.

The MKX remains a solid hit, but how low can the MKT go?

The Focus sales are not up significantly from last month, but they are up significantly from last year, which is around the time Focus production was transitioning between MY '11 and '12. I think the excitement on the Focus numbers is a little misleading, but the Focus is making steady progress forward and isn't too far behind the competition this month.

Edited by BORG

Again, we don't know that the Sonic is a 'smash hit' in any meaningful sense.

When one person can finance a Sonic when she can't finance a four year old Focus, you've got something fishy going on. Stuff like that doesn't happen unless there's a program allowing it to happen.

I don't know what data you're leaning on Richard, can you share it? Is this anecdotal?

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

When one person can finance a Sonic when she can't finance a four year old Focus, you've got something fishy going on. Stuff like that doesn't happen unless there's a program allowing it to happen.

I know of someone else who could only get loans for new cars, not used. If he had an explanation I've forgotten what it was, but it didn't involve a particular automaker.

Reviews for the Sonic have been consistently positive. Among the B-segment cars available in the U.S. market, only the Honda Fit seems to be notably better overall in most comparisons. GM's launch of the Sonic/Barina has been pretty smooth in North America, Korea, and Australia.

Edited by aneekr