Will AAI hire more skilled trades journeyman?

knowlimits

There is rumor that AAI wil be calling back skilled trades members that were layed off or took a transfer before the new contract was ratified. Will they be posting job openings Ford Wide for the remaining skilled that they will need to run the plant?

The Fusion addition at AAI should require more skilled and production jobs

• Like 1

There is rumor that AAI wil be calling back skilled trades members that were layed off or took a transfer before the new contract was ratified. Will they be posting job openings Ford Wide for the remaining skilled that they will need to run the plant?

I talked to a maintenance supervisor today. They said there will be postings, not sure when or if Ford wide. The first trial bodies for the Fusion are now set be be run in Feb. 2013 with production starting in late spring 2013. A second shift will be added shortly thereafter, and there are plans for a third shift, with no date set yet. Ford wants a 4 shift operation for skilled trades, NO overtime, all straight time. This is from management, and the skilled members who have heard this are not happy. Salaried workers lost their overtime about 6 years ago, even maint. bosses who always are working weekends are doing it all on straight time, and Ford wants the same for skilled trades. If they create enough shifts, (4), there are no options for overtime. They said this is done at other plants to save money and we will do the same. It will take time before it's implemented and I'm sure there will be a fight over it. Retooling for the Fusion begins the minute the last Mazda leaves Body Shop in August. Stamping, Body, Paint & Trim will all need some retooling between then and January 2013. Hopefully all skilled trades can return and do the job they trained for.

I talked to a maintenance supervisor today. They said there will be postings, not sure when or if Ford wide. The first trial bodies for the Fusion are now set be be run in Feb. 2013 with production starting in late spring 2013. A second shift will be added shortly thereafter, and there are plans for a third shift, with no date set yet. Ford wants a 4 shift operation for skilled trades, NO overtime, all straight time. This is from management, and the skilled members who have heard this are not happy. Salaried workers lost their overtime about 6 years ago, even maint. bosses who always are working weekends are doing it all on straight time, and Ford wants the same for skilled trades. If they create enough shifts, (4), there are no options for overtime. They said this is done at other plants to save money and we will do the same. It will take time before it's implemented and I'm sure there will be a fight over it. Retooling for the Fusion begins the minute the last Mazda leaves Body Shop in August. Stamping, Body, Paint & Trim will all need some retooling between then and January 2013. Hopefully all skilled trades can return and do the job they trained for.

I heard the same thing at MAP for skilled trades (regardless if production goes to 3 crew operations or not) . Wouldn't be suprised if some locations ( Wayne ISA or Saline for example) are allowed to keep the traditional days, afternoons, and midnites because they always seem to work a special suck- ass deal. Oh well, trades that want to make "extra" money will be getting a 2nd job or starting a business. Just glad to have a first job at this point, hoping I don"t get " bumped" into production like many of the temporary ( they helped us for 2 1/2 yrs retool the old MTP location) trades at MAP!

I heard the same thing at MAP for skilled trades (regardless if production goes to 3 crew operations or not) . Wouldn't be suprised if some locations ( Wayne ISA or Saline for example) are allowed to keep the traditional days, afternoons, and midnites because they always seem to work a special suck- ass deal. Oh well, trades that want to make "extra" money will be getting a 2nd job or starting a business. Just glad to have a first job at this point, hoping I don"t get " bumped" into production like many of the temporary ( they helped us for 2 1/2 yrs retool the old MTP location) trades at MAP!

4 crew for trades will also be happening at LAP. No overtime will be the norm.

If the 4 crew is anything like the one at DTP, there is a small amount of overtime built in and there is always covering for vacation/personal days. You don't get as much as a 5 day schedule with weekends, but I love it. Would never want to go back to a regular schedule.

LAP is on 7/12`s for about 18 months.Trades overtime will always creep up, if for nothing else then for vacation coverage and shutdown projects.Certain trades get more OT than others.What I dont like about the MOA shifts is the mandatory 12`s/weekends and holidays along with the start times that cheat you out of shift premium.

Looks like August will be the start of the need for trades. Thanks for the update

LAP is on 7/12`s for about 18 months.Trades overtime will always creep up, if for nothing else then for vacation coverage and shutdown projects.Certain trades get more OT than others.What I dont like about the MOA shifts is the mandatory 12`s/weekends and holidays along with the start times that cheat you out of shift premium.

Continous 7/12s or 7 on/ 7 off? 7/12s on and then 7 days off is one of the much heralded Alternate Work Schedules by the way!

I guess I'm replying to my own post, but I heard today from a AAI engineer that they have a posting for 7 electricians and they expect to get most from Saline which has extra trades due to Ford finally completely pulling out. These openings are not being posted at all Ford facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm replying to my own post, but I heard today from a AAI engineer that they have a posting for 7 electricians and they expect to get most from Saline which has extra trades due to Ford finally completely pulling out. These openings are not being posted at all Ford facilities.

With the new investments at LAP, MAP and DTP you can expect 20 weeks of Electrician training served up at AAI. Posting for Electricians is the first step in new product investments and shift additions

If there are openings they;ll have to follow the hiring heiarchy. Period