2013 Escape order guide

svtenthusiast

Yes I am well aware how they operate, but a couple posters are talking about unplugging the sensor or something to that effect, which makes me assume they are not aware of how their wiper system operates.

Not to turn this into a focus thread, but we are talking about on the new Edge and Explorer, you can go through the menu and revert the system from "rain sensing" to "conventional intermittent" wipers, effectively bypassing the rain sensor in the windshield.

The Focus (and assuming the new Escape since it has the same menu system) does not have this option in the instrument cluster.

Rain-sensing wipers (if equipped)

The rain-sensing wipers will automatically activate when moisture is

present on the windshield and control is intermittent operation position.

Adjust the rotary control to the desired moisture sensitivity settings. The

speed of the rain-sensitive wipers will vary based on the amount of

moisture detected on the windshield and the sensitivity setting. There

are no interval (intermittent wipe) settings on vehicles with rain-sensing

wipers. The wipers will continue to wipe as long as the presence of

moisture is detected on the windshield. More or less wiping may occur

depending on humidity, mist or light rain, or road spray.

Yes I am well aware how they operate, but a couple posters are talking about unplugging the sensor or something to that effect, which makes me assume they are not aware of how their wiper system operates.

On the Focus you only get the option of rain sensing sensitivity via the normal intermittent settings or lo/high. What you can't do is turn off the rain sensing feature and go back to the traditional intermittent settings - unless you unplug the sensor apparently.

I know how to use my rain activated wipers. The issue is the wipers on my Focus are very erratic when it comes to clearing the windshield. With a light rain, sometimes they wipe every 5 seconds and with the same rain, they won't wipe for 30-45 seconds and under a heavy rain it's just as erratic, but will wipe more often. It's a hassle to hit the single wipe or move the sensitivity switch when the windshield needs to be cleared. What I like is the steady manual intermittent wipers that wipe at the same interval depending on how many clicks you move the switch. I don't think disconnecting the sensor will change the operation to manual and I can't find anywhere in the 1st printing of the Owner's Manual anything on deactivating the feature. It would be nice if it could be switched from rain sensing to manual or get rid of it all together.

I know how to use my rain activated wipers. The issue is the wipers on my Focus are very erratic when it comes to clearing the windshield. With a light rain, sometimes they wipe every 5 seconds and with the same rain, they won't wipe for 30-45 seconds and under a heavy rain it's just as erratic, but will wipe more often. It's a hassle to hit the single wipe or move the sensitivity switch when the windshield needs to be cleared. What I like is the steady manual intermittent wipers that wipe at the same interval depending on how many clicks you move the switch. I don't think disconnecting the sensor will change the operation to manual and I can't find anywhere in the 1st printing of the Owner's Manual anything on deactivating the feature. It would be nice if it could be switched from rain sensing to manual or get rid of it all together.

Is the windshield clean? Did you use rain-x or any other treatment?

Yes, I don't use any treatment and I try to keep the windshield clean. Clean glass is one (of many) of my obsessions. I think it's just a quirky system, hopefully it's been improved on since April, 2011.

You are correct. Mine does the same since day one. They haven't improved it on the current builds either. I can only hope they have woken up by all the complaints (believe me they have heard plenty from me) and improved this on the new Escape, otherwise I am unhooking the sensor.

It's a shame because I have driven other Fords and the rain sensing wipers work beautifully. You can even keep them in Auto mode without them wiping each time you start the car! Imagine that.

On the MPG difference, in pelimenary figures they are rating the 1.6 at 4 MPG better than the 2.0 on the highway. But I wanted the Titanum so it's standard with the 2.0L. If you want the 2.0L the Titanium is a better value than the SEL.

I did a little digging and the mpg's for the 2012 Edge with the 2.0L EcoBoost and a curb weight of 3998 is rated at 21/30 mpg. The 2.0L Escape will weigh in at 3621, so there should be at least a 2-4 mpg improvement, so maybe 23/34???

I tried to compare the Kuga numbers and was really impressed until I realized the 2.0 Duratorq is a diesel.

The order for my 2013 Escape Titanium, Parking Technology Package, Ginger Ale Metallic is in the order bank. I ended up getting it for $30,544 (with advertising assessment and fuel charge added) which is $1900 under retail. I had an X-Plan PIN, but my salesman showed me comparative X-Plan invoices and all of them were more than dealer invoice, the deal I got was almost $200 under X-Plan. What's up there? Another great deal from Midway Ford. They offered me pretty much what I expected for my Focus, plus I'll get the sales tax deduction if I trade it in. Now the waiting game begins.

Edited by transitman

The order for my 2013 Escape Titanium, Parking Technology Package, Ginger Ale Metallic is in the order bank. I ended up getting it for $30,544 (with advertising assessment and fuel charge added) which is $1861 under retail. I had an X-Plan PIN, but my salesman showed me comparative X-Plan invoices and all of them were more than dealer invoice, the deal I got was almost $200 under X-Plan. What's up there? Another great deal from Midway Ford. They offered me pretty much what I expected for my Focus, plus I'll get the sales tax deduction if I trade it in. Now the waiting game begins.

Congrats! You must of ended up going with the partial leather seats looking at the price. I thought it was crazy for another 895 to have the center of the seat leather also.

Congrats! You must of ended up going with the partial leather seats looking at the price. I thought it was crazy for another 895 to have the center of the seat leather also.

I did go with the partial leather. I saw the pic you posted of the front seats and decided they look pretty good. If they're standard in the Titanium, my guess is they are high quality materials and craftmanship. No more inner leg burn in the summer. I would have sprung for the White Platinum Tricoat before the full leather. Hopefully our orders went in early enough to see our Escapes late June or early July.

I plan on going to the Minneapolis auto show in March to see the new Escape. I was hoping they would be in the dealerships soon (basically, the earlier the better as my husband's vehicle is on its very last leg...very last!) Sounds like they won't arrive until May? Previous posters have mentioned June or July?! If you order - does your car get built earlier? Thanks for any insight. I wish my husband was doing a little more homework/research because I have no clue about cars!

I plan on going to the Minneapolis auto show in March to see the new Escape. I was hoping they would be in the dealerships soon (basically, the earlier the better as my husband's vehicle is on its very last leg...very last!) Sounds like they won't arrive until May? Previous posters have mentioned June or July?! If you order - does your car get built earlier? Thanks for any insight. I wish my husband was doing a little more homework/research because I have no clue about cars!

May would be the absolute earliest they would arrive. The 2013 Escape goes into production on April 9, but they will not start shipping from the factory until a sizable quantity has built up and the initial production models are thoroughly tested. I'd say the best case for this would be 30 days, but if any problems are discovered it could easily be longer than that.

Placing an order will not get it to you any sooner. The initial production batch will all be dealer stock orders, so these should start showing up on dealer lots before any custom orders. June or July would be the earliest to expect a custom order.

Yea, I don't know. I trust him to be telling me the truth. He showed me three examples on his computer.

Ask to see the invoice that has the X plan and A plan price when your vehicle comes in. If you have ax X plan pin he has to show it to you. That way you will be sure your getting the X plan price or less.

Ask to see the invoice that has the X plan and A plan price when your vehicle comes in. If you have ax X plan pin he has to show it to you. That way you will be sure your getting the X plan price or less.

Here's the thing - they can give you a lower than X plan purchase price but add costs elsewhere to make it up. Think about it - with X plan the dealer gets a spiff check from Ford on top of the X plan price so they're giving up at least $600 in free money by telling you not to use your X plan pin. Why would they do that unless they're making up more than $600 elsewhere in the deal? It just doesn't make sense.

X plan doc fee is limited to $100. Outside of X plan they could charge as much as $600. There could also be additional cash or rebates that you're entitled to with X plan that the dealer could keep.

Take the X plan price, add $100 plus Tax, tag, title and any other required fees. Then compare that to your drive out price without X plan just to be safe.

I got the invoice price I was willing to pay from the NADA and Edmund's web sites, which matched the Vehicle Order Confirmation the dealer had printed out before I arrived. The dealer invoice price on the VOC was the same as NADA and Edmund's dealer invoice. As far as the X-Plan, he didn't show me the X-Plan pricing for the new Escape, but showed me on his computer, examples from a 2013 Edge and 2012 Taurus and Escape and dealer invoice was lower on all three. He said the dealership would make more money if I used my X-Plan and I could use it if I wanted to. He also said, beginning in 2010, X-Plan was not the lowest price a buyer could negotiate.

If you add the fuel charge and ad assessment to the MSRP column on the VOC (assuming they would be the same) I saved $2176 under MSRP and I think this is a pretty good deal that I'm happy with. Maybe there's someone out there who can verify an X-Plan price vs. the price I got. I didn't ask, but I assume the ad assessment and fuel charge would be tacked on if someone was willing to pay MSRP, it just wasn't listed on the VOC.

My deal broke down like this:

Retail Column:

$30370.00 Titanium FWD

$995.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$32190.00 Total

Dealer Invoice Column:

$28321.00 Titanium FWD

$868.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$60.12 Fuel Charge

$470.00 Adv Assessment

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$30544.12 Total

I got the invoice price I was willing to pay from the NADA and Edmund's web sites, which matched the Vehicle Order Confirmation the dealer had printed out before I arrived. The dealer invoice price on the VOC was the same as NADA and Edmund's dealer invoice. As far as the X-Plan, he didn't show me the X-Plan pricing for the new Escape, but showed me on his computer, examples from a 2013 Edge and 2012 Taurus and Escape and dealer invoice was lower on all three. He said the dealership would make more money if I used my X-Plan and I could use it if I wanted to. He also said, beginning in 2010, X-Plan was not the lowest price a buyer could negotiate.

If you add the fuel charge and ad assessment to the MSRP column on the VOC (assuming they would be the same) I saved $2176 under MSRP and I think this is a pretty good deal that I'm happy with. Maybe there's someone out there who can verify an X-Plan price vs. the price I got. I didn't ask, but I assume the ad assessment and fuel charge would be tacked on if someone was willing to pay MSRP, it just wasn't listed on the VOC.

My deal broke down like this:

Retail Column:

$30370.00 Titanium FWD

$995.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$32190.00 Total

Dealer Invoice Column:

$28321.00 Titanium FWD

$868.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$60.12 Fuel Charge

$470.00 Adv Assessment

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$30544.12 Total

X plan is roughly $150 over dealer invoice so that part is true. The formula is dealer invoice minus 0.4% plus $275 which would make X plan roughly $30,697. Add the $100 doc fee and you're at $30,797 plus Tax, tag, title. If you can get it for less than that (including the doc fee) and there are no more dealer add-ons or fees or funny stuff with a trade-in then go for it.

But why in the world would the dealer turn down a X plan sale if you already have a PIN? This is where I get really suspicious.

X plan is roughly $150 over dealer invoice so that part is true. The formula is dealer invoice minus 0.4% plus $275 which would make X plan roughly $30,697. Add the $100 doc fee and you're at $30,797 plus Tax, tag, title. If you can get it for less than that (including the doc fee) and there are no more dealer add-ons or fees or funny stuff with a trade-in then go for it.

But why in the world would the dealer turn down a X plan sale if you already have a PIN? This is where I get really suspicious.

I have purchased two vehicles from this salesman and have a good relationship with him, he's honest and I assume looking out for the customer. That price had to be approved by the Sales manager. I have a signed trade in agreement for my Focus which will be honored until my Escape arrives. Other than taxes, registration and title, the only additional dealer add on will be a $75 administration fee. MN caps dealer admin fees at $75.

The order guide only states that for the sel, at least for now it may be ordered on the titanium pkg. Also my voc shows both on order.

To follow up on this for everyone's FYI, the order guide has been updated as of 3/1 and it now states the hands free liftgate is unavailable with trailer tow on both Titanium and SEL.

he's honest and I assume looking out for the customer.

I would never ASS-U-ME that. Trust but verify.

I have a signed trade in agreement for my Focus which will be honored until my Escape arrives.

Bingo. They're probably making it up in the trade-in price.

I could be wrong but why would they just give away new vehicles at dealer invoice? Even with holdback they have to pay the sales commission and any floor plan interest so they're basically giving the cars away for free. Just doesn't make sense to me.