2013 Escape order guide

svtenthusiast

Did you dealer advise you that when you add the trailer tow, it deletes the hands free portion of the power liftgate? Just FYI

I wanted the trailer tow but not at the expense of losing one of the cool features.

The order guide only states that for the sel, at least for now it may be ordered on the titanium pkg. Also my voc shows both on order.

The order guide only states that for the sel, at least for now it may be ordered on the titanium pkg. Also my voc shows both on order.

Just giving you a heads up because dealers usually don't know and it states in the source book that it's not available with the trailer tow. Also the order guide usually has errors this early in the order stage. It probably shows the power liftgate on your order but they are not describing the hands free part of it. You will get the power liftgate but not the hands free because the hitch interferes with the sensors required for the hands free.

My VOC states (ordered without the trailer tow) "INFO 59S KEYLESS W/TLGTE ADDED - INC W/66T TIT TECH PKG LESS 536 TRL TOW"

Hands free with the trailer hitch probably means pressing the remote, instead of kicking under the bumper.

It really doesn't matter to me as I want the trailer tow pkg and I have a hard enough time standing on two legs , but the paperwork for the titanium doesn't mention it.

Just trying to be helpful and also let people know who are ordering because it isn't explained well in the order guide. Most of the dealers won't notice it until they get them on the lot. Here is the documentation on how it works.

Class-exclusive

(1) Hands-free Power Liftgate

• Open or close the power liftgate with only a kick of

a foot within the range of the rear bumper's sensors

and the verification of the vehicle key fob

• By waving a foot under the rear bumper and through

the sensors' emission field, the circuit completes and

triggers a search for the key fob that's similar to how

Remote Start systems work

• Once the sensors receive verification from the key

fob, they will send an electronic impulse to the

liftgate latching system, and cause the liftgate to

open or close

• Not available with Class II Towing Package

Escape_Liftgate.pdf

Edited by svtenthusiast

So I'm new to the forum but in need of a new car and the 2013 Escape is my top pick. I am very close to ordering one from one of the local dealers. I was originally planning to order a SEL with the 302A option package (required for the parking tech package), the parking package, and the towing package. The dealer discovered that I could order the same car in a Titanium for about $400 less. The description of the leather on the SEL indicated that it was partial leather which is the included option on the Titanium (I didn't spec it to add the $895 full leather option).

I saw the Escape at the Washington auto show. The one that was open was a SEL and it appeared to be full leather seating even though there's no mention of a full leather option for the SEL. I initially figured that the Titanium would have at least as nice seats but from the discussion here, I am thinking that the Titanium probably has leather seat edges and cloth centers. Does anyone here know if that is what I would get on the SEL? Are there any similar Ford vehicles with leather/cloth seats that I should go and sit in to see if I would be fine with Ford's mixed seating surfaces? I'm not really set on having leather (never had it before), I just need the higher trims to get the parking tech package and think I might find the leather/cloth seats weird.

Also, there's been a lot of discussion here about the towing package removing the hands free liftgate trigger. I want the ability to tow a 3000 lb boat, but am wondering if I would be better served by an aftermarket hitch so that I still had the hands free feature if I ever decided I wanted that more than the hitch. I tow about twice a year so I might just take the hitch on and off depending on how I like the hands free feature.

Does anyone know if the towing package on an Escape is just the hitch or if it adds other things I'd need to tow, like supplemental cooling or suspension changes?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your responses!

So I'm new to the forum but in need of a new car and the 2013 Escape is my top pick. I am very close to ordering one from one of the local dealers. I was originally planning to order a SEL with the 302A option package (required for the parking tech package), the parking package, and the towing package. The dealer discovered that I could order the same car in a Titanium for about $400 less. The description of the leather on the SEL indicated that it was partial leather which is the included option on the Titanium (I didn't spec it to add the $895 full leather option).

I saw the Escape at the Washington auto show. The one that was open was a SEL and it appeared to be full leather seating even though there's no mention of a full leather option for the SEL. I initially figured that the Titanium would have at least as nice seats but from the discussion here, I am thinking that the Titanium probably has leather seat edges and cloth centers. Does anyone here know if that is what I would get on the SEL? Are there any similar Ford vehicles with leather/cloth seats that I should go and sit in to see if I would be fine with Ford's mixed seating surfaces? I'm not really set on having leather (never had it before), I just need the higher trims to get the parking tech package and think I might find the leather/cloth seats weird.

Also, there's been a lot of discussion here about the towing package removing the hands free liftgate trigger. I want the ability to tow a 3000 lb boat, but am wondering if I would be better served by an aftermarket hitch so that I still had the hands free feature if I ever decided I wanted that more than the hitch. I tow about twice a year so I might just take the hitch on and off depending on how I like the hands free feature.

Does anyone know if the towing package on an Escape is just the hitch or if it adds other things I'd need to tow, like supplemental cooling or suspension changes?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your responses!

From what I understand, the SEL comes with standard full leather seating. The Titanium comes standard with partial leather/cloth seats and full leather is a $895 option. It looks like the stitching is different between the two trims but I really have no idea if the padding/shape of the seat is the same or not (they call it a "sport" seat for the titanium.) In my opinion they have these configurations backwards, as I'd expect to see full leather standard on any vehicle on its top trim level. Looks like an easy way for Ford to pick up a few hundred extra dollars on each Titanium as I doubt too many people would want cloth at that kind of price point. Don't forget you also get HID lights with the Titanium; they are not available on the SEL.

I've been curious to know what exactly the trailer tow package adds too. So far I've only seen the trailer sway control listed as an extra feature. It sucks to lose the hands free, but adding an aftermarket hitch and messing with the wiring doesn't seem worth the effort unless you really would use the handsfree that often. Don't forget that its still a power liftgate that you can operate with either a button on the liftgate itself or the key. Honestly I think the novelty of the handsfree will wear off pretty quick. Unless your hands are too full of items to take the key out of your pocket, it will always be quicker to press the button on the key as you are walking up to the vehicle so its open by the time you arrive to the rear. To each their own though.

To add to what Gator said, I sat in both the cloth/leather and full leather seats at the Detriot auto show. They both had the same shape and comfort level in my opinion. I ended up ordering the Titanium with the cloth/leather becuase I thought it looked pretty nice in person, and also a unique feature only on Titaniums. Also saved me $895 just to get the middle of the seat filled in with leather instead of cloth, and it was a no brainer over the cost of the SEL in this configuration.

The trailer tow doesn't add any transmission or engine cooling features or bigger battery like in the past. It's just the hitch, 4 pin wiring connection, and trailer sway control software.

Class II Trailer Tow Package (536)

– 4-pin trailer wiring harness

– Hitch receiver with 3500-lb. weightcarrying

capacity

– Trailer Sway Control

– Requires 2.0L EcoBoost I-4 engine

Edited by svtenthusiast

This is what I figured what I would do. Add an aftermarket hitch if I really need to tow, so I can have the added feature of the hands free sensors. I am sure the aftermarket hitch will also block the sensors but at least I have the option to choose.

I decided to go with the factory tow package on mine. The lift looks cool but I think I will be happy with just having a power lift and I am definitely going to be towing with mine. Placed my order Saturday.

This is what I figured what I would do. Add an aftermarket hitch if I really need to tow, so I can have the added feature of the hands free sensors. I am sure the aftermarket hitch will also block the sensors but at least I have the option to choose.

Dealer I went with thought he'd be getting the first ones in late April and thought mine would probably come late May possibly June. I'm hoping for May since my current car will probably need tires to pass state inspection and mine is up in May. I might still have to do tires to sell it at a decent price so it might not end up mattering anyway but I'm ready for new wheels!

Congrats! Now to get through the 6 month wait.

Dealer I went with thought he'd be getting the first ones in late April and thought mine would probably come late May possibly June. I'm hoping for May since my current car will probably need tires to pass state inspection and mine is up in May. I might still have to do tires to sell it at a decent price so it might not end up mattering anyway but I'm ready for new wheels!

They won't be scheduling any retail orders until May. So when they do schedule, build date can be 2-4 weeks after that. Then you have shipping. So I am not getting my hopes up to get it any sooner than the end of June. I have been though this game several times, had to wait 6 months for my 2012 Focus, so I won't get my hopes burned again. I have resolved myself that it takes Ford forever to get these vehicles out of initial launch.

For those of you on the fence on getting the factory tow package, you may want to take a look at this: http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/2013/specifications/towing/

There is a 1500lb difference the tow package adds....which leads me to believe they are doing more than just slapping a hitch on. It seems logical that there are some aux coolers and/or radiator/fan upgrades. I've sent an email to Ford for clarification but it seems like you won't be able to tow much without that tow package, even if you get the 2.0.

I'm very interested in the new Escape, the SEL 300A offers a lot, for (cough) a good price. I'd like to add the Parking Technology Package but I hate the rain sensing wipers on my Focus and that's a deal killer despite all the other great features. The Escape will have the added cargo space I can use that's a little lacking in my Focus. I know the Titanium isn't that much more, I don't tow and one of my main needs is good fuel economy. I'll be curious to see the mpg difference between the 1.6 and the 2.0 EcoBoost. Having just bought my 2012 Focus less than a year ago, I'll have to wait until at least the second model year, I hope. Any chance of getting a PDF of the Source Book?

Edited by transitman

I'm very interested in the new Escape, the SEL 300A offers a lot, for (cough) a good price. I'd like to add the Parking Technology Package but I hate the rain sensing wipers on my Focus and that's a deal killer despite all the other great features. The Escape will have the added cargo space I can use that's a little lacking in my Focus. I know the Titanium isn't that much more, I don't tow and one of my main needs is good fuel economy. I'll be curious to see the mpg difference between the 1.6 and the 2.0 EcoBoost. Having just bought my 2012 Focus less than a year ago, I'll have to wait until at least the second model year, I hope. Any chance of getting a PDF of the Source Book?

I was originally looking at an Escape, but had to switch to the Edge since they aren't going to be released soon enough for me. I hate the rain sensing wipers on my Nissan right now and from the sound of it Ford's don't work much better, so I too wasn't happy with how they got bundled in. However, in my research I noticed that at least on the Edge the rain sensing feature can be turned off in the dashboard settings. I'm not sure if the Focus or Escape offer this option as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

The Escape's fuel economy is a major question of mine as well, but I'm not sure those statistics will be determined until after production has started. With all the questions, waiting until the second model year to get one rather than getting one of the first ones off the line doesn't sound that bad.

I share in your hate in the rain sensing wipers in the 2012 Focus. Every other Ford vehicle works like they should. I can only hope they are programmed better on the Escape, otherwise I will unhook the sensor, which will revert them to regular intermittant wipers. I want the other features in the parking package. It would be nice if they would give us the option to turn the rain sensor off like the do in the Edge and Explorer.

On the MPG difference, in pelimenary figures they are rating the 1.6 at 4 MPG better than the 2.0 on the highway. But I wanted the Titanum so it's standard with the 2.0L. If you want the 2.0L the Titanium is a better value than the SEL.

Edited by svtenthusiast

I see on your list you have already ordered an Escape. I am leaning towards the Titanium with the Park. Tech. Pkg., despite the rain sensing wipers. It's good to know they can at least be unplugged if there isn't a on/off feature. They don't come with the SEL 300A, but I know I'll kick myself if I don't get the Technology Pkg. and the PTP, I'm all over the board right now. Without seeing them first, I'm not sure what I think about the cloth/leather combination, I'll have to go to the Auto Show in March to see what they look like. Sometime this week I'm going to e-mail the salesman I bought my Focus from and throw out a number to see if he bites.

Are you saying the rain sensing wiper feature cannot be turned off. I have never heard of that before. On the EU Focus on the wiper stalk you can dial in the sensitivity when selecting the rain sensor system , as well with quite a large range of adjustments. Plus it has the usual delayed wiper setting. plus the regular continuous swipe or high speed swipe.

Are you saying the rain sensing wiper feature cannot be turned off. I have never heard of that before. On the EU Focus on the wiper stalk you can dial in the sensitivity when selecting the rain sensor system , as well with quite a large range of adjustments. Plus it has the usual delayed wiper setting. plus the regular continuous swipe or high speed swipe.

The feature HAS TO BE ACTIVATED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIDRUnwo6j0

It's explained in detail on this video

And in Fords own website...I'm guessing the Ex and Escape have similar systems.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2012/features/Feature18/.

The feature HAS TO BE ACTIVATED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIDRUnwo6j0

It's explained in detail on this video

And in Fords own website...I'm guessing the Ex and Escape have similar systems.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2012/features/Feature18/.

Yes I am well aware how they operate, but a couple posters are talking about unplugging the sensor or something to that effect, which makes me assume they are not aware of how their wiper system operates.