2013 Lincoln MKZ (or MKG) Teased!!!

Sorry I posted my reaction. I didn't say they were identical, I didn't say it even looks like the 200...all I said was that was what popped into my head when I first saw it.

And there IS a resemblance in the shape of the horizontal lines in the grille. And that's as far as I can comment as that is all we see of the assumed MKZ.

You going for most posts in the first week on a forum? Go for quality, not quantity.

You don't have to post everything that pops into your head.

The horizontal slats make a big difference.......and notice they are not spaced so close together. I like how the bow wave (in theory) is retained, but given a new lease on life with some interesting details.

Is what we are seeing the Wolff design direction for Lincoln?

He's been there about a year now, no? Doesn't take that long to design a grille. Sure, you can't change hard points, but designs have been changed much faster than that in the past.

11 months, but he didn't walk in on day one with a new design theme for Lincoln. I'm sure that didn't come until a few months ago. And you wouldn't want to just tack that onto an existing design like they did with the original MKS.

• Like 1

Just came across this article....adds new light to the discussion!

"Company sources gave TheDetroitBureau.com a few details of what will be seen on the new MKZ and the first thing viewers will likely notice will be the switch away from Lincoln’s classic “waterfall” grille. The MKZ prototype – and a production version to come at the New York Auto Show next spring – will shift the grille strakes to a more horizontal position, with the grille itself tapering back almost like a wing.

Those who have seem the new face of the Lincoln brand uniformly describe it in gushing terms like “striking,” “gorgeous,” and “exactly what Lincoln needs.”

While it might not be immediately obvious, the concept will also feature an all-glass roof that will retract much like the currently popular folding hardtops of convertibles like the BMW 3-Series cabriolet. Insiders would not say whether that concept will carry over into production, as well."

Updated MKS, MKT Only Begin Lincoln Makeover

"Company sources gave TheDetroitBureau.com a few details of what will be seen on the new MKZ and the first thing viewers will likely notice will be the switch away from Lincoln’s classic “waterfall” grille. The MKZ prototype – and a production version to come at the New York Auto Show next spring – will shift the grille strakes to a more horizontal position, with the grille itself tapering back almost like a wing.

Those who have seem the new face of the Lincoln brand uniformly describe it in gushing terms like “striking,” “gorgeous,” and “exactly what Lincoln needs.”

While it might not be immediately obvious, the concept will also feature an all-glass roof that will retract much like the currently popular folding hardtops of convertibles like the BMW 3-Series cabriolet. Insiders would not say whether that concept will carry over into production, as well."

As they've been saying, "Fully Retractable Glass Roofs"...

I just assumed this was a BAMF, but what if...

A framed glass roof lifts up and away from the roof rails / pillars, folds, and stows in the truck? Leaving the "sides" of the roof in place, but opening the whole top?

Holy smokes. Sounds like a lot to go wrong (and the potential leaks...), but wow. I think this might be the direction they're going. :hyper:

A framed glass roof lifts up and away from the roof rails / pillars, folds, and stows in the truck? Leaving the "sides" of the roof in place, but opening the whole top?

Holy smokes. Sounds like a lot to go wrong (and the potential leaks...), but wow. I think this might be the direction they're going. :hyper:

Eh, I would see less potential for problems with a setup like that than with a traditional convertible or retractable hard top arrangement. After all, if the side rails remain in place, you're left with much more rigid anchoring points when it closes.

I am, however, a bit concerned about hearing the word "concept" in there. Let's recall what happened with the original Zephyr concept. :unsure:

Edited by NickF1011

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Point taken, but I was talking specifically about taking a design that was already in the can like the original MKS and just slapping a new grille on it at the last minute.

The 2013 MKS wasn't a rush job, even though it may look like it to some people.

I think it's a slight improvement but I don't see sales picking up much until they either get more new Lincolns to draw people in or a brand new MKS. And that's ok - they can afford to wait.

I am, however, a bit concerned about hearing the word "concept" in there. Let's recall what happened with the original Zephyr concept. :unsure:

Well outside of the taillights...the Zephyr was pretty close then when it was renamed MKZ it was nearly identical and was much better after the refresh in the rear end....

I dont get why they would show a MKZ concept in January just to show the production car 3-4 months later at NY Auto Show? That makes no sense what so ever..

I dont get why they would show a MKZ concept in January just to show the production car 3-4 months later at NY Auto Show? That makes no sense what so ever..

That's not what it said. They said they were shown a prototype and the production version would be at NY. They did not say they would show a prototype at Detroit (at least not in that quote).

Well outside of the taillights...the Zephyr was pretty close then when it was renamed MKZ it was nearly identical

Um, no. The Zephyr concept had delightful flush fit window glass for the doors. But Ford didn't have the bucks to tool up for that, so the production vehicle got the same cheap framed doors that the budget Fusion had, simple black painted metal frames without even any chrome to accent, like we see in the new model, which is done similarly to the current Audi A-4/6. If you aren't really looking, the concept and the production sled are close, but when you start to see, there are compromises in the production sled.

This time, it appears Ford has more money to spend . . . :)

That's not what it said. They said they were shown a prototype and the production version would be at NY. They did not say they would show a prototype at Detroit (at least not in that quote).

not quite:

But where the new MKS and MKT models will seem familiar to Lincoln owners and fans the next-generation Lincoln MKZ, set to debut in concept form at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show, will likely deliver a shock.

Buick did exactly that back in 2000, which was very cool and looked production ready but alas never came out.

Check it out here:

2000 Buick Regal Cielo

It would be awesome if Lincoln did something like this, that would draw a lot of attention to their showroom!

BON getting some face time:

My link

Ahh, cool! I tweeted them last night :)

I'm a big fan of this new grille....but again I'm not convinced it's MKZ, this might belong to a concept of the MKG (I'm still insisting this is the MKG). At least the whale analogies will end.

Remember the rumors about Lincoln killing the waterfall grille with the debut of the MKS and MKT? Well clearly that was mistaken...but obviously there was some truth to it.

Edited by BORG

but again I'm not convinced it's MKZ, this might belong to a concept of the MKG (I'm still insisting this is the MKG).

And you're still wrong.

Company sources gave TheDetroitBureau.com a few details of what will be seen on the new MKZ and the first thing viewers will likely notice will be the switch away from Lincoln’s classic “waterfall” grille. The MKZ prototype – and a production version to come at the New York Auto Show next spring – will shift the grille strakes to a more horizontal position, with the grille itself tapering back almost like a wing.

Edited by akirby

Well there you go! That is indeed very interesting, looks like the MKZ may have gone through some last minute design changes which would involve a new hood as well.