5,000 line up for Nissan jobs

Len_A

From the Business section of Sunday's Detroit Free Press:

An estimated 5,000 people waited in line in Murfreesboro, Tenn., Wednesday , hoping to get one of 1,600 jobs at Nissan as the automaker ramps up hiring for a new battery plant.

Yates Services, a maintenance contractor at the plant, held a job fair Wednesday for part-sorting, production line and forklift jobs and the response was the largest turnout for any Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce job fair.

The jobs will pay an average of $12.50 an hour with benefits.

• Like 5

This is what Ford and its UAW workers have to compete with.Our only hope is that one day the UAW can organize one of these plants.How does a single person let alone a family live on those wages?

no joke - $12.50 an hour is ridiculous.

• Like 4

Whats funny is there are millions of anti union pukes out there that think it's a fair wage, course I doubt they would still feel that way if it were their wage.

Ah yes!!!

Reflections of 2008 and those strong anti-union Republicans Shelby and Corker both from right to work (for less) states so adamantly testified that our wages, benefits and pension brought down the Auto industry.

So vehemently fought to cut our wages below the poverty wages of Nissan. Fought so hard to put us through bankruptcy so our jobs and pay would be gone forever while their Asian non-union plants get our market share

In the right to work (for less) republican sheeple states and republican lead states will continue to cut our bargaining rights

Look at Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin>>>>>> All republican houses and Governor >>>>>>

You want a busted union, no representation and $12.50 per hour????? Keep voting in these Republicans and we will be there quickly

• Like 10

This is what Ford and its UAW workers have to compete with.Our only hope is that one day the UAW can organize one of these plants.How does a single person let alone a family live on those wages?

My ex and her family live right by that plant and 12.50 is good money down there.

• Like 3

My ex and her family live right by that plant and 12.50 is good money down there.

Twelve fifty an hour won't support a family down here. Nissan seems to only hire "burger flippers" down here that are getting a raise by coming to work for them. They have it well planned out. I have many friends from high school and all walks of life that work at Nissan. They are scared to death of even talking about voting for the UAW. They have been "trained well" by Nissan management. It is going to be a long and hard fight to unionize this plant but I hope it will happen. I have talked to some of the employees but they will not listen to reason. These people have a job that pays a wage they thought they could never make. They have been a "thorn in the side" of UAW workers for many years. It will take a very calculated effort to organize this plant and quite frankly we haven't seen this yet. The 12.50 an hour wage is for contracted labor. Nissan is not hiring new Nissan workers.

Edited by Tennesseepowerstroke
  • Like 8

If people line the streets WANTING a $12.50 an hour job they will pay that.

If no one accepts that wage then they would have to increase it to obtain workers.

Voting dem. or republican means little if people are willing to go along with the offer.

It no different than rates for anything be it gasoline, cable TV or wages. As long as consumers accept the price business continues to charge or pay as little as they can it will not change.

One beautiful irony is a former company I worked for moved an operation to Alabama. Cheaper labor and grand illusions of making more profit. Its not that the product was not profitable made in Ohio but the lure of MORE profit drove it. The company selected a site, built a new manufacturing facility and we were tasked for tooling it up for production. A lot of equipment new and used + tooling all went south. The wage for new hires was around the same cost $13'ish. People were coming from all around to apply. Fast forward to a new neighbor... a new auto manufacturing plant site named right across the street. Once it was completed and their starting wage was considerable higher it emptied the plant. The company had to pay a similar wage to get anyone to work there. In the end it cost the company money, quality was WAY down and deliver times always were a struggle from zero experience in manufacturing that product and location. I would wager management would not do it over again but hey, they are management.

Ohio also had a stiff tax on finish goods inventory but that's another topic entirely......

• Like 2

Twelve fifty an hour won't support a family down here. Nissan seems to only hire "burger flippers" down here that are getting a raise by coming to work for them. They have it well planned out. I have many friends from high school and all walks of life that work at Nissan. They are scared to death of even talking about voting for the UAW. They have been "trained well" by Nissan management. It is going to be a long and hard fight to unionize this plant but I hope it will happen. I have talked to some of the employees but they will not listen to reason. These people have a job that pays a wage they thought they could never make. They have been a "thorn in the side" of UAW workers for many years. It will take a very calculated effort to organize this plant and quite frankly we haven't seen this yet. The 12.50 an hour wage is for contracted labor. Nissan is not hiring new Nissan workers.

And contract employees can be replaced, very easily, if there's even a hint of unionizing - they can't unionize Nissan, they can only unionize the contractor they work for. Nissan can fire that contractor legally, hire a new one, who can hire all the former contractors employees back (skipping the whole training process) and their union vote would be null-and-void.

• Like 6

no, not in a single income family it doesnt. but most people realize now that you need 2 incomes. and when one person is making 12.50 and the other can make close to that, you can raise a family.

• Like 2

WOW 12.50 is Tenn a right to work state or what? Thats total crap 12.50 an hour.

I agree it is crap!!! Who is behind the right to work legislation and pushes the agenda of interested parties (hint: wall street, business)??

HHHHHMMMMMM !!!!!

Gee I wonder

Anyone, anyone?

• Like 8

I agree totally but why are we surprised? Our union new hires are only going to be making about a dollar more an hour to start.

I believe it is over $15 and goes to $19 by the end of the contract. But as many have said, this is what we have to compete against. I know many of you greedy allegedly union brothers hate that word, but it is the truth. So, stop voting Republican and get off your asses to do something about the low wages in the South or you will see a continued attack against us in the union. You can't bitch about what you "should get" in a contract, when it is between $10-$13 an hour transplants we are competing against with no benefits.

• Like 12

And contract employees can be replaced, very easily, if there's even a hint of unionizing - they can't unionize Nissan, they can only unionize the contractor they work for. Nissan can fire that contractor legally, hire a new one, who can hire all the former contractors employees back (skipping the whole training process) and their union vote would be null-and-void.

How much over the actual cost does Nissan pay the contractor? I am from Canada but we have the same crap here, the phrase is "STOLEN WAGES", the difference berween what the worker costs the contractor and what the contractor gets paid by plant getting workers. This is usually 5-6 dollars an hour over what workers cost, follow the ownership of these contractors and you will find they are owned by people who are well connected to government in many places. The new contractor will likely have the same or partialy the same people but a "new" company, Express Pesonal anyone"

• Like 4

How much over the actual cost does Nissan pay the contractor? I am from Canada but we have the same crap here, the phrase is "STOLEN WAGES", the difference berween what the worker costs the contractor and what the contractor gets paid by plant getting workers. This is usually 5-6 dollars an hour over what workers cost, follow the ownership of these contractors and you will find they are owned by people who are well connected to government in many places. The new contractor will likely have the same or partialy the same people but a "new" company, Express Pesonal anyone"

Yep, this has been a trend by conservatives and businesses everywhere. They still get their $$$, but the workers get screwed. Add onto that how many want Michigan and Ohio to be "RIght to Work for Less" states and watch our wages and benefits drop like a rock.

• Like 8

From the Business section of Sunday's Detroit Free Press:

An estimated 5,000 people waited in line in Murfreesboro, Tenn., Wednesday , hoping to get one of 1,600 jobs at Nissan as the automaker ramps up hiring for a new battery plant.

Yates Services, a maintenance contractor at the plant, held a job fair Wednesday for part-sorting, production line and forklift jobs and the response was the largest turnout for any Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce job fair.

The jobs will pay an average of $12.50 an hour with benefits.

People are desperate for work and $12.50 an hour with benefits seems like a godsend at this time.

• Like 7

The use of contract employees is getting ridiculous. My wife works for the U.S. Attorney's office as a contract paralegal, and she doesn't know if she has a job from week to week.
  • Like 3

I believe it is over $15 and goes to $19 by the end of the contract. But as many have said, this is what we have to compete against. I know many of you greedy allegedly union brothers hate that word, but it is the truth. So, stop voting Republican and get off your asses to do something about the low wages in the South or you will see a continued attack against us in the union. You can't bitch about what you "should get" in a contract, when it is between $10-$13 an hour transplants we are competing against with no benefits.

When did it jump from 13 something to 15? And how many times will they open the contract before they get the 19 ?

Did you go to the job fair? Maybe tell everyone how awful the salaried suckasses have it at big blue Ford? You'd be about as welcome down yonder as you are here.

You know, if you could actually ever respond to what I write, we might agree. But, you must feel it's your job to respond with nonsense BS. Well, you are doing real well at it. LOL! :hysterical:

• Like 3

BTW. Mr. Slug, it's my JOB to report to the line at 6am and bust my ass all day long. I get on the computer sometimes to blow off steam. Apparently, you feel it's your JOB to come here and stir up shit with working people...Obviously your salaried duties don't keep you busy enough. Maybe if you actually worked for a living you'd find a better use for your spare time than being a troll here.

• Like 2