F100 given the green light again

Mackintire

At first I chocked this up as a a pipe dream, but the chips are starting to fall in place and I am beginning to believe it. Giving a little more credit to this is the fact that I have recently visited 5 Ford dealerships and all have said that they have been receiving requests from customers for an updated truck smaller than the F150.

Jan 3rd 2012

I've been again discussing this issue with some Ford representatives. As of December 2011 Ford has been re-evaluating all its available options.

Ford Marketing has recently stated that there appears to be more market interest in the truck smaller than the F150 than we originally had thought. ("good grieve guys... welcome to yesterday")

Ford will be watching the 2013 Chevy Colorado release carefully and will continue to watch the market. If it makes fiscal sense, we may yet see a truck smaller than the F150.

So here's the latest rumor.

2014 release as a 2015.

Chassis based off of theF150 but narrower and modified Full size Ford Transit.

EB 2.0 and EB 2.7 are the suspected engines. Ford can pull many parts from the F150, but the narrowed chassis will require unique sheet metal and interior.

The goal appears to be to have a smaller vehicle that fits in the slot under the F150 with 2-3 mpg increase over a 2x4 F150 and sell at $2-3K less than an F150.

This line of thinking has merit as there has been discussion on how to get the current F150 to drop the almost 1000lbs required to make up the currently expected deficit generated by the upcoming 2016 CAFE regulations.

I am of the belief that the F100 would help pull up the current F series CAFE ratings and would be able to be produced at the same factory that currently produces the F150.

Edited by Mackintire

My '93 Ranger will no doubt last that long, but I really hope they bring out a crew cab model with a 6' bed (even if it's an option) - just like the Frontier. My dad just traded his '94 Ranger for a Frontier. I'm holding off.

Seriously, is this an insider piece of information, or an exercise in wishful thinking? (and no dealer I've visited has mentioned anything about being shown future products/plans, when asked) Without some sort of corroborating source, a reader couldn't tell the difference. Has a Ford official let something slip when asked about GM's upcoming small truck?

Edited by RangerM
  • Like 1

Is this just based off dealer speculation or some solid facts?

Here are the FACTS

Ford stated that the US is not getting the T6.

Ford stated that the F100 project had been placed on hold and could be restarted if necessary

Ford has stated that they need the F150 to drop 1000lbs to make their 2016 fuel economy goals

Ford had assumed that the EB 2.0 liter and the weight loss of 1000lbs would reach their increased fuel economy goal

Ford has been surprised at the number of consumers that still want a truck smaller than the F150. This info was sourced from multiple Ford dealerships.

Ford currently has the EB 2.7 liter engine is development and expects to have it available in a Lincoln mid 2013. This wouldn't be the first time Ford has made a habit out of releasing a engine in a car a year or two before the same engine is released in a truck..

The Ford transit is now scheduled to be build in Kansas, starting 2013

Back to the world of possibility:

Unless Ford intends to sell a lot of transits, it is very likely that the F100 will be built on a modified transit platform in that same plant.

Edited by Mackintire

Ford stated that the US is not getting the CURRENT T6.

Fixed it for you. That doesn't mean we won't get a U.S. legal T6 at some point.

Not saying we will or we won't, just that the fact that the current one was not developed to meet U.S. standards doesn't mean they won't change it with a MCE.

Here are the FACTS

Ford stated that the US is not getting the T6.

Ford stated that the F100 project had been placed on hold and could be restarted if necessary

Ford has stated that they need the F150 to drop 1000lbs to make their 2016 fuel economy goals

Ford had assumed that the EB 2.0 liter and the weight loss of 1000lbs would reach their increased fuel economy goal

Ford has been surprised at the number of consumers that still want a truck smaller than the F150. This info was sourced from multiple Ford dealerships.

Ford currently has the EB 2.7 liter engine is development and expects to have it available in a Lincoln mid 2013. This wouldn't be the first time Ford has made a habit out of releasing a engine in a car a year or two before the same engine is released in a truck..

The Ford transit is now scheduled to be build in Kansas, starting 2013

Back to the world of possibility:

Unless Ford intends to sell a lot of transits, it is very likely that the F100 will be built on a modified transit platform in that same plant.

So, we have no idea if a F100 has been given a greenlight as the thread title states?

• Like 2

Not saying we will or we won't, just that the fact that the current one was not developed to meet U.S. standards doesn't mean they won't change it with a MCE.

Lets dissect your thought for a moment:

With the the chicken tax in place it is too expensive to directly import the T6.

If you disassemble the truck partly you can get around the tax, but then you have to reassemble the vehicle AND then you still have the pricing issue.

If you import the truck from South America, you still have a pricing issue.

Final point: To build or sell a small truck here in the US, it must be (priced for the market) and thus manufactured here; preferably on a assembly line that produces something else that Ford intends to sell in volume.

I don't see the full size transit seeing over 100,000 unit per year in the US. If Ford changes direction or new information becomes available I will update this thread then.

Lets dissect your thought for a moment:

With the the chicken tax in place it is too expensive to directly import the T6.

If you disassemble the truck partly you can get around the tax, but then you have to reassemble the vehicle AND then you still have the pricing issue.

If you import the truck from South America, you still have a pricing issue.

Final point: To build or sell a small truck here in the US, it must be (priced for the market) and thus manufactured here; preferably on a assembly line that produces something else that Ford intends to sell in volume.

I don't see the full size transit seeing over 100,000 unit per year in the US. If Ford changes direction or new information becomes available I will update this thread then.

You can build a "Ranger" or "F-100" in either Mexico or Canada and not be subject to the Chicken Tax (NAFTA)

That Loophole was closed...I believe VW used to ship a truck without the bed attached and then assembled them after going through customs.

Ford rips out the interiors, etc on the Transit Connect (lot cheaper) to get around the chicken tax.

Ford should do something with this, plain and simple. The replacement Colorado has been announced, Nissan is refiring their advertising on the Frontier and Tocoma is still alive and well. Its strange to me if Ford doesn't want a piece of that action, however if they can't do it profitably than I guess I can understand.

Ford should do something with this, plain and simple. The replacement Colorado has been announced, Nissan is refiring their advertising on the Frontier and Tocoma is still alive and well. Its strange to me if Ford doesn't want a piece of that action, however if they can't do it profitably than I guess I can understand.

It's timing. Whether they're doing something with T6 or Transit or the new F-150 it's just not ready yet. And it's certainly not a big priority given the market.

I agree. A US version of the global Ranger, some time in the future, is a much more likely scenario.

The Transit is too big and the styling, well ... And YES, styling sells pickup trucks ! Most non-commercial pickup truck buyers want a pick up that looks like a pickup. Not like a Transit that some one went after with a blow torch.

I am NOT saying that there is no market for a flatbed Transit in the US. That is a different niche !

I agree. A US version of the global Ranger, some time in the future, is a much more likely scenario.

The Transit is too big and the styling, well ... And YES, styling sells pickup trucks ! Most non-commercial pickup truck buyers want a pick up that looks like a pickup. Not like a Transit that some one went after with a blow torch.

I am NOT saying that there is no market for a flatbed Transit in the US. That is a different niche !

T6 Ranger shares Transit's I-4 and I-5 diesel engines and is responsible for development of 6R80 auto trans versions.

No doubt these engine/gearbox combinations will find their way into US Transits., hopefully the V6 engine finds its way into T6.

Edited by jpd80

T6 Ranger shares Transit's I-4 and I-5 diesel engines and is responsible for development of 6R80 auto trans versions.

No doubt these engine/gearbox combinations will find their way into US Transits., hopefully the V6 engine finds its way into T6.

I would love to have a T6 Ranger, I think they and the Amorok are the two best looking trucks on the world market.

I hope so Wiz...they need something in that segment.....I mean look at Transit Connect sales....they have SERIOUSLY effected Econoline sales....theres aLOT of people that just donet need something THAt huge...exactly the same can be said of the F-150....

Here is an idea that I think everyone has over-looked. As nice as T6 Ranger is...I would bet that when it is time for replacement (say, 2-5 years) it would move to a common chassis with T-Series/Transit/F100. One vehicle name you likely won't see on the side of any T-Series is T100 since Toyota already has a "lock" on that name, unless Ford gets permission through a joint venture between the two.